Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split

Why not 90/10? Asks the Discord Blog innocently, as the chat app announces that beginning next year their fledgling game store will begin offering developers 90% of the revenue for games sold there, taking only a 10% cut for themselves. This seems like a response to Epic Games, who made waves when they announced their new store would only keep a 12% cut. Now word is the Discord Store has passed them on the race to the bottom line:

Earlier this year though, we noticed a change happening in the game industry. We talked to a lot of developers, and many of them feel that current stores are not earning their 30% of the usual 70/30 revenue share. Because of this, we now see developers creating their own stores and launchers to distribute their games instead of focusing on what’s really important — making great games and cultivating amazing communities.

So, we asked ourselves a few more questions. Why does it cost 30% to distribute games? Is this the only reason developers are building their own stores and launchers to distribute games?

Turns out, it does not cost 30% to distribute games in 2018. After doing some research, we discovered that we can build amazing developer tools, run them, and give developers the majority of the revenue share.

So, starting in 2019, we are going to extend access to the Discord store and our extremely efficient game patcher by releasing a self-serve game publishing platform. No matter what size, from AAA to single person teams, developers will be able to self publish on the Discord store with 90% revenue share going to the developer. The remaining 10% covers our operating costs, and we’ll explore lowering it by optimizing our tech and making things more efficient.

We will also empower developers to communicate with their players by improving Verified Servers, extending their ability to add great content to the Activity Feed, and more. We believe if we iterate and work with developers, we can reverse platform fragmentation in the game industry while connecting developers and players closer together.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 16, 2018, 10:38 Avus

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 11:56:
Has anyone changed anyone's mind here yet on the Epic store? I'll use it or not as I see fit and pretty much that is that. I get all the sides, I got it all without anyone yapping about it. We get it more stores, more launchers, fragmentation. Hello! This is tiddlywink level stuff here to get, we treat each other as if we have a 80 IQ level.

Yes I will use Epic Game client. Just like I still use MS IE/EDGE. I use MS IE/EDGE to download Firefox and I will use Epic Game store/client to launch Subnautica. Other than that, I will keep using Steam and enjoy it's features and constant Steam sales...

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 21:02 Slashman

Slick wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 14:20:
Lol, no logic indeed...

I never said a word about Half Life 3. Don't know where you're pulling that argument from...

Well you mentioned Half-Life so I thought it was kind of implicit

And by your argument, you're admitting that we shouldn't even be viewing Valve as a company that makes videogames anymore.

I'm trying to figure out what it has to do with ANYTHING? You're stil not explaining that part.

So you're all frothing into a lather over defending a store?

Do you get this hot under the collar about Wal-Mart? Same shit.

Only gamers are this ridiculous. Never heard of other people defending a store like this, insinuating that it should be the only store in the industry because.... you have to click 2 extra times to goto another store? lol.

I'm actually wondering what the hell you're smoking right now. Chill the fuck out.

I'm trying to figure out why you're jumping for joy over a store policy that doesn't do anything for gamers and locks out other stores over content that is NOT theirs.

Steam didn't stop anyone selling on other stores. If Epic is so confident in their storefront then the price reduction should be enough to get other developers to put their games on there without artificially locking other people out for 1 year or more.

But I'm sure I must be missing something so...

50. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 20:57 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 15:00:
Slick wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 12:51:
If your main takeaway is: "more fragmentation" then ionno dude...

Like this stupid reply, right all I have on this is fragmentation pff, there is no need to list all the pro's and con's so I haven't, I mentioned one people use, yes competition is good. We all get what another store front could bring us, pros and cons. We get the sides, but in the end we'll all make our own choice, what's there for someone to convince another that we don't really understand? Come on already.

Ahh, true true. Stupid reply though it was =p

We've had this discussion many times, and it's not for you or me, but for the readers.

There are still people out there who just think: "What? Imma haffa ta git anuder progrum on me computers..? OUTRAGE!"

And if we could somehow distil the argument that "shopping at different stores is GUD MKAY" would be great.

We need a catchphrase or something witty that the tweens will follow on their instagrams... or something.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

49. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 16:21 FloorPie

I'd trust Epic and the teething problems they will have with their new store and supposed personal contact with devs if you have problems with a game system than anything Discord puts out.

48. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 15:00 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 12:51:

Like this stupid reply, right all I have on this is fragmentation pff, there is no need to list all the pro's and con's so I haven't, I mentioned one people use, yes competition is good. We all get what another store front could bring us, pros and cons. We get the sides, but in the end we'll all make our own choice, what's there for someone to convince another that we don't really understand? Come on already.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2018, 15:22.

47. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 14:20 Slick

Lol, no logic indeed...

I never said a word about Half Life 3. Don't know where you're pulling that argument from...

And by your argument, you're admitting that we shouldn't even be viewing Valve as a company that makes videogames anymore.

So you're all frothing into a lather over defending a store?

Do you get this hot under the collar about Wal-Mart? Same shit.

Only gamers are this ridiculous. Never heard of other people defending a store like this, insinuating that it should be the only store in the industry because.... you have to click 2 extra times to goto another store? lol.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

46. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 13:22 RedEye9

Slashman wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 13:02:
Uhhh Slick. I notice you have a real problem with Valve not releasing Half-Life 3 and not making games. But I have no idea how that is relevant to this discussion.

I mean as an online store do you HAVE to release a relevant game to do it properly? Is Epic more deserving of your dollar because they have Fortnite?
Logic and common sense do not belong in this thread.
Consider yourself warned.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

45. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 13:02 Slashman

Uhhh Slick. I notice you have a real problem with Valve not releasing Half-Life 3 and not making games. But I have no idea how that is relevant to this discussion.

I mean as an online store do you HAVE to release a relevant game to do it properly? Is Epic more deserving of your dollar because they have Fortnite?

44. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 12:51 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 11:56:
I get all the sides, I got it all without anyone yapping about it. We get it more stores, more launchers, fragmentation. Hello! This is tiddlywink level stuff here to get, we treat each other as if we have a 80 IQ level.

The same way there is more than one retail chain in existence, most wouldn't call that "fragmentation", they'd call it "competition".

43. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 12:07 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 08:27:
This thread is more ridiculous than a Star Citizen one.
Shhh!
Chris Roberts might hear you and do something foolish.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

42. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 11:56 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 02:41:
I still don't get people here saying "Ooooh, this is great for us - better sales, lower prices." This is NOT what this is about or what will happen. It is about a bigger share for the developers which is good

There is nothing for us at this time to know if it would lead to bigger discounts. Will it change the retail price? Probably not, but it very well could for some games, there would have to be some, right? But when they do sales, when they do deep sales, there will be more there to squeeze. I'm sure some of that will make it to us, but I do agree that isn't the main focus. Basic economics.

Has anyone changed anyone's mind here yet on the Epic store? I'll use it or not as I see fit and pretty much that is that. I get all the sides, I got it all without anyone yapping about it. We get it more stores, more launchers, fragmentation. Hello! This is tiddlywink level stuff here to get, we treat each other as if we have a 80 IQ level.

41. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 11:21 jdreyer

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 01:36:
Man the dicklicking of steam is disturbing, Valve pioneered the theft and transfer of ownership of games. We no longer get dedicated servers or level editors in most AAA games and valve newell was the cause. He got progressively worse over time as they moved away from making games as steam grew and now he's making microtransaction infested artifact - a fully drm'd game, who's sole purpose is taxing stupid fucks with too much money.

Pretty sure that was WoW, like 15 years ago.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2018, 08:55 Jivaro

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 21:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 19:22:
wtf, you forgot the link app. /s
https://store.steampowered.com/steamlink/about
https://youtu.be/Y7tvauOJMHo

Did you see that you can run Link on a little Raspberry Pi now? I think it's a free download.....pretty cool on the whole.

It is cool. Works great.

39. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 08:27 Beamer

This thread is more ridiculous than a Star Citizen one.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 08:01 Slick

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 07:03:
Lets put this "developers" meme to rest.

With the exception of a very few single person created games, most games are brought to market by corporations, most of which are either multinational corporations or smaller companies that are owned and financed by parent corporations.

This is all about maximizing the bottom line of big corporations and nothing to do about helping "developers."

From my perspective Steam provides the following added value to the customer:

* A reliable source for gamer's to find and purchase the widest selection of games. Unlike a retail store, where you will find only the latest releases, Steam carries the most games ever published in the last 20 years.
* A reliable source of critical reviews to help you avoid buying a woofer.
* A reliable source of game fixes and work arounds via the workshop guides, and game hub forums.
* A reliable source for mirroring game save files.
* A reliable source for archiving your games, so you don't have to worry about keeping a wall of bookshelves full of game boxes and CDs.
* Frequent game sales at deep discounts.

These new ventures have yet to prove how reliable they are and given such low revenue intake, makes you wonder just how long they will be around before some corporate accountant declares them no help to their bottom line.

Because as a developer, or small publisher or whatever, you had no real choice if you wanted to you know... make your money back. You released on steam. They were the only game in town.

I don't think that defending a near-monopoly because they're the "only game in town" is justifiable.

Brings me back to my old staple comparison of people selling at Wal-Mart. Even if their margins are shit, they "have" to sell at Wal-Mart if 95% of customers insist on ONLY shopping at Wal-Mart. It's anti-competitive.

And anyone who complains that they don't want to shop at any other digital store is just cementing this monopolistic approach.

I can read reviews anywhere. Workshop guides aren't going to help games that aren't integrated with steamworks, other stores provide cloud saves, any other store "archives" your games lol, other stores have sales too.

It's beating a dead horse at this point, but stop feeding into the monopoly. It's gone on for too long for a company which A) hasn't made an original IP since Half-Life, B) doesn't make games anymore, and C) for a multi-billion dollar store, has no telephone or chat support! Why are they so defended?

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2018, 07:55 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 04:58:
Wesp5 wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 04:16:
and instead bought mod teams out to do it for them

Well they were doing that long before Steam.
TFC, CS, DoD

I've yet to be corrected on this, but the last original IP created by Valve was Half-Life.

Everything else was a mod or another game they bought out. CS, DoD, Riccochet, Portal, L4D, DOTA...

Unless you could their original work with the playroom thing they released for the Vive... That was I suppose original. Other than that....

And for the guy who said that Steam was born *because* CS:Source was popular really needs to learn his history. I know we didn't all live through it, but their legal battle against Vivendi is why Steam exists, also set precedent to why uPlay, Origin, GoG, Epic store etc. all exist. It's quite fascinating.

Still makes me chuckle how people defend Steam to the death nowadays, as when You HAD to own an online-validation DRM store that no one had ever heard of to play the SINGLE PLAYER Half-Life 2.... people were fucking pissed.

The moar u know.

36. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 07:03 Jonjonz

Lets put this "developers" meme to rest.

With the exception of a very few single person created games, most games are brought to market by corporations, most of which are either multinational corporations or smaller companies that are owned and financed by parent corporations.

This is all about maximizing the bottom line of big corporations and nothing to do about helping "developers."

From my perspective Steam provides the following added value to the customer:

* A reliable source for gamer's to find and purchase the widest selection of games. Unlike a retail store, where you will find only the latest releases, Steam carries the most games ever published in the last 20 years.
* A reliable source of critical reviews to help you avoid buying a woofer.
* A reliable source of game fixes and work arounds via the workshop guides, and game hub forums.
* A reliable source for mirroring game save files.
* A reliable source for archiving your games, so you don't have to worry about keeping a wall of bookshelves full of game boxes and CDs.
* Frequent game sales at deep discounts.

These new ventures have yet to prove how reliable they are and given such low revenue intake, makes you wonder just how long they will be around before some corporate accountant declares them no help to their bottom line.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

35. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 06:55 Slick

Valve took the scary gamble to litigate against Vivendi in 1999, 4 years later they launched Steam and changed everything.

Yes, this was a great victory for all studios and developers.

But don't pull the wool over your own eyes. They've been incredibly greedy pretty much ever since. All of their moves have been to monopolize.

It's nice to see the tide finally turning.

Irony is they fought to have independent studios the ability to self-publish, and now they're sad that others are doing it.

34. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 06:51 christheshitter

Sad too see so many here has such a fait in Epic and blunder for the Epic fail that they leaked user account information just a while back. And the awful support...  

33. Re: Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split Dec 15, 2018, 04:59 CJ_Parker

What Wesp5 said... and as an avid CS player at the time (clan membership, ESL etc.) with a day one Steam account I can attest to the fact that Steam was the biggest fucking piece of shit garbage DRM annoyance ever released at the time. It was a straight fucking piece of malware.

Most people hated it and only began to accept it as a necessary evil when Steam started having those 75% to 90% off (flash) sales. Then they began to be the "good guys" all of a sudden (outside of a hopeless Valve fanboi spectrum where Valve can do no wrong that is).

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo