Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

Gamasutra: David Galindo's Blog - The Epic Store, In Its Current State, is Not Good for Anyone.
"Let me be clear: I am not against making money. If you had the choice between buying my game on Steam and the Epic launcher and chose the Epic launcher to give me more money, I would be grateful. Perhaps you donít care about any of those features that Epic doesnít have, and you just want to play the game. Thatís perfectly valid and certainly encouraged! I love money. What I donít love is the restriction of that freedom to choose- with Epicís launcher, the only way they can funnel customers into their launcher is by locking everyone else out. Outside of a larger dev cut, no one would or should ever choose the Epic launcher as their go-to store, short of very specific circumstances (maybe all you play is Fortnite and want to expand your game library to 2, or maybe you just really have it out for Steam). Instead of working to provide a unique experience, building a feature-set that is strong out of the gate and can be improved upon in the months ahead, they have chosen to just pack the store full of exclusives and force you to use their extremely basic launcher.

While there are certainly those who donít use many or even any of the extra features enjoyed by other platforms, is it really too much to ask for a company that made over one billion dollars to provide a better user experience out of the gate?"

View
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 12:22 Zyrxil

Steam sucked ass when they were the pioneers, plus they started out with way less resources than Epic has now. That's not good enough anymore, yet all these publisher started storefronts- Uplay, Origin, etc. still start out terrible and only work up to barely passable.

If they don't come out the gate with all the features Steam already has plus some extra features to differentiate themselves, then it's clear they only intend to compete based on forced exclusives.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 11, 11:56 Re: Op Ed Creston
>> 2. Dec 11, 12:22  Re: Op Ed Zyrxil
  6. Dec 11, 13:48   Re: Op Ed jdreyer
  8. Dec 11, 14:34    Re: Op Ed RedEye9
  10. Dec 11, 15:32     Re: Op Ed eRe4s3r
  11. Dec 11, 16:07      Re: Op Ed Prez
  13. Dec 11, 19:56      Re: Op Ed RedEye9
  14. Dec 12, 03:38       Re: Op Ed eRe4s3r
  3. Dec 11, 12:30 Re: Op Ed The Pyro
  4. Dec 11, 13:05  Re: Op Ed Burrito of Peace