Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

Gamasutra: David Galindo's Blog - The Epic Store, In Its Current State, is Not Good for Anyone.
"Let me be clear: I am not against making money. If you had the choice between buying my game on Steam and the Epic launcher and chose the Epic launcher to give me more money, I would be grateful. Perhaps you don’t care about any of those features that Epic doesn’t have, and you just want to play the game. That’s perfectly valid and certainly encouraged! I love money. What I don’t love is the restriction of that freedom to choose- with Epic’s launcher, the only way they can funnel customers into their launcher is by locking everyone else out. Outside of a larger dev cut, no one would or should ever choose the Epic launcher as their go-to store, short of very specific circumstances (maybe all you play is Fortnite and want to expand your game library to 2, or maybe you just really have it out for Steam). Instead of working to provide a unique experience, building a feature-set that is strong out of the gate and can be improved upon in the months ahead, they have chosen to just pack the store full of exclusives and force you to use their extremely basic launcher.

While there are certainly those who don’t use many or even any of the extra features enjoyed by other platforms, is it really too much to ask for a company that made over one billion dollars to provide a better user experience out of the gate?"

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2018, 03:38 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 19:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 15:32:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 14:34:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 13:48:
Zyrxil wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 12:22:
Steam sucked ass when they were the pioneers, plus they started out with way less resources than Epic has now. That's not good enough anymore, yet all these publisher started storefronts- Uplay, Origin, etc. still start out terrible and only work up to barely passable.
If they don't come out the gate with all the features Steam already has plus some extra features to differentiate themselves, then it's clear they only intend to compete based on forced exclusives.

Well, that's not how software is made these days. Epic is doing it right: release a minimum viable product, get feedback, and iterate. These guys know what they're doing. It'll get better, and be a lot closer to Steam in a couple of years.
yep

If they knew what they are doing then pulling indies off steam that announced their games already is most definitely the most retarded thing to ever be doing.

Just look at Coffee Stains latest video
Is this the one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXArQbNzvF0
i have no idea what you're talking about

Hahahahaaaa

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 19:56 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 15:32:
Steam sucked ass when they were the pioneers, plus they started out with way less resources than Epic has now. That's not good enough anymore, yet all these publisher started storefronts- Uplay, Origin, etc. still start out terrible and only work up to barely passable.
If they don't come out the gate with all the features Steam already has plus some extra features to differentiate themselves, then it's clear they only intend to compete based on forced exclusives.

Well, that's not how software is made these days. Epic is doing it right: release a minimum viable product, get feedback, and iterate. These guys know what they're doing. It'll get better, and be a lot closer to Steam in a couple of years.
yep

If they knew what they are doing then pulling indies off steam that announced their games already is most definitely the most retarded thing to ever be doing.

Is this the one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXArQbNzvF0
i have no idea what you're talking about

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 19:27 Mordhaus

Give them a shot, Epic is AMAZING at taking ideas originated by someone else, copying them, and then raking in the money.  

11. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 16:07 Prez

I have to agree with the author - if the only selling point you have to offer is indie exclusives then there's no real competition. I'd love to see Epic really start to undercut Steam, as real competition would actually make Valve improve Steam's many shortcomings. I doubt I'd ever use Epic's store, but were it to become a viable alternative to Steam, considering its absolutely enormous built-in user base thanks to Fortnight that actually might be enough to make Valve nervous.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 15:32 eRe4s3r

yep

9. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 15:25 Jivaro

Epic will get it sorted. All this Chicken Little shit is fascinating though. I would think with all the other stores that have opened we would be past that point by now.  

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 14:34 RedEye9

yep

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

7. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 14:23 HorrorScope

The Pyro wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 12:30:
Not to worry, I'm sure the Epic launcher will be bloated with unwanted features soon enough.

Most likely the truth. Just give it all time. One thing they succeeded in... any PC gamer worth their salt now knows Epic has a Store Front.

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 13:48 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 13:10 Cutter

Epic lost what? 10 million accounts this year to hackers? There's no localized currency and just a ton of other issues. It's deffo a hard pass for me, at least for now.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 13:05 Burrito of Peace

Thank FSM for Lutris.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 12:30 The Pyro

Not to worry, I'm sure the Epic launcher will be bloated with unwanted features soon enough. This is just a rush to get that extra revenue coming in as quickly as possible...

Steam itself was unwelcome at launch; most gamers wouldn't have touched it with a 10-foot pole if not for the eagerly anticipated Half-Life 2. Epic's recent success with Fortnite is exactly what they need to get a foot in the door. Time will tell if they manage to expand their library enough to stay installed; I haven't launched Origin again since I finished ME3.

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 12:22 Zyrxil

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2018, 11:56 Creston

It's a fair enough point, but on the flipside, right out of the gate Steam sucked donkey's ass too. I'm sure they'll put more features into their launcher as time progresses.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo