Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad

The Romero Games Website announces SIGIL is the project John Romero was teasing, revealing this to be a DOOM Megawad that will be released for free in February. There are also two limited-run boxed editions available now for preorder, offering additional art and exclusive music created by Buckethead. There is a Standard Edition for $39.99 and a Beast Box Edition for $166 (limited to two per customer) with various dustcatchers, including a statue of The Romero's head on a spike from the DOOM endgame (spoiler alert). Here's the plan:
SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero. It contains nine single-player and nine deathmatch levels. The free megawad will be released in mid- February 2019 and requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOM® in order to play. SIGIL™ is the spiritual successor to the fourth episode of DOOM®, and picks up where the original left off.

In addition to the free megawad, SIGIL also releases in two limited edition fan boxes created by Limited Run Games. The fan boxes feature music by metal guitar legend Buckethead, including a custom song written expressly for SIGIL, and cover art by Christopher Lovell whose iconic, detailed work has been featured on numerous metal albums. (Note: The free megawad does not ship with Buckethead’s music or Christopher Lovell’s art.)

THE BEAST BOX OF SIGIL INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:

• A beautiful demonic over-sized box, inspired by the id Anthology™ box, individually numbered and signed personally by John Romero and featuring the artwork of Christopher Lovell.
  • A 16GB 3-1/2-inch floppy disk-themed USB that includes the free megawad data and extras.
  • A 2-disc booklet styled case that includes the free megawad data and full soundtrack by Buckethead and behind-the-scenes information on the original game and the megawad’s development.
  • A beautiful 8" x 10" art print signed by the illustrator, Christopher Lovell.
  • A SIGIL-themed coin.
  • A pewter statue of John Romero’s head on a spike.
  • An XL-sized SIGIL T-shirt.
  • 2 stickers: 1 SIGIL and 1 Romero Games.
  • WARNING: This item is limited to TWO per customer.

THE STANDARD EDITION OF SIGIL INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:

• A beautiful demonic standard-sized “big box” featuring the artwork of Christopher Lovell.
  • A 16GB 3 1/2-inch floppy disk themed USB that includes the free megawad data and extras.
  • A 2-disc jewel case that includes the free megawad data and soundtrack by Buckethead.
  • 2 stickers: 1 SIGIL and 1 Romero Games.
  • Pre-orders for SIGIL’s fan boxes are open only from December 10 to December 24, 2018. Both the fan boxes and the free megawad will ship mid-February. There will be a limited amount of boxes produced.

Orders at Limited Run Games at 10am EST: SIGIL Beast Box and SIGIL Standard Box.

SIGIL™ is a mod for the original DOOM® and is distributed as such. DOOM® is a registered trademark of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the US and/or other countries. Id Software® is a registered trademark of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the US and/or other countries. SIGIL™ is in no way affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or id Software LLC and is not approved by ZeniMax Media Inc. or id Software. SIGIL™ is a trademark of Romero Games Ltd.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2018, 21:15 LibertyOrDeath

Poor John, when the media has it in for you it is hard to overcome.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 11, 2018, 10:06 PHJF

So where's the .wad?

Wait, it isn't even done? He's celebrating the 25th anniversary by... announcing something? Man, next time I forget my own anniversary I'm gonna "announce" that I'll have something great in two months.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 11, 2018, 09:03 Reactor

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 07:37:
Squirmer wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 16:36:
How are you people criticizing him for a passion project...

"Passion project" Hoo-Ha, that's the best guffaw I have had this week.

Must have taken him an hour or to to slap together some generic looking DOOM wads, and then weeks of scheming and schmoozing a 2nd rate guitarist and a 2nd rate artist to combine their work with his doofy wad and then sell it for $200 to the whales out there.

I’m going to call you Captain Cinicism from now on.

30. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 11, 2018, 07:37 Jonjonz

How are you people criticizing him for a passion project...

"Passion project" Hoo-Ha, that's the best guffaw I have had this week.

Must have taken him an hour or to to slap together some generic looking DOOM wads, and then weeks of scheming and schmoozing a 2nd rate guitarist and a 2nd rate artist to combine their work with his doofy wad and then sell it for $200 to the whales out there.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

29. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 21:20 Mr. Tact

Indeed.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 20:51 ForgedReality

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 20:30:
Okay... yeah, maybe he deserves credit for releasing a free wad file on the Doom anniversary. And if that was all he had done, I'd probably grant him some kudos.

But whatever credit he earned from that he burned on what feels like a gratuitous money grab. Which doesn't play well with me from someone who has made many times more money than probably anyone reading this forum.

*shrug* If that makes me a bitter old man, than so be it.

*then

Get the hell off my lawn.

27. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 20:30 Mr. Tact

Okay... yeah, maybe he deserves credit for releasing a free wad file on the Doom anniversary. And if that was all he had done, I'd probably grant him some kudos.

But whatever credit he earned from that he burned on what feels like a gratuitous money grab. Which doesn't play well with me from someone who has made many times more money than probably anyone reading this forum.

*shrug* If that makes me a bitter old man, than so be it.

26. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 19:47 Reactor

Graham wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 18:33:
How are you people criticizing him for a passion project to celebrate the 25th anniversary of one of the most significant games ever made? Something wrong with you all.

Yeah, I'm a little disgusted with the response here. The guy puts out a bunch of free content to celebrate one of the reasons this website even exists and all we get is bitching.

You people suck.

+1

But also not surprised...

25. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 18:50 Cutter

Keep coastin' on that name, John.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

24. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 18:33 Graham

How are you people criticizing him for a passion project to celebrate the 25th anniversary of one of the most significant games ever made? Something wrong with you all.

Yeah, I'm a little disgusted with the response here. The guy puts out a bunch of free content to celebrate one of the reasons this website even exists and all we get is bitching.

You people suck.

23. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 18:12 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 18:07:
... no one can hold a grudge like a PC Gamer. No one spends more time feeling wounded and offended.
QFT

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman PC Gamer scorned"

1697 play "The Mourning Bride" by William Congreve

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

22. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 18:07 Beamer

His PR guy put his face on something people here found mean 20 years ago.

Carmack is a bit douchey. And I don't think he's ever really shown aptitude outside of the work he did for Doom, which was also very much Tom Hall. But no one can hold a grudge like a PC Gamer. No one spends more time feeling wounded and offended.

Note: some of you feel wounded and offended by that statement (ha!) Don't worry, I don't mean everyone here mocking Romero. I know many here do it because it's funny, not because they're offended. But there are definitely people here still angry.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 18:03 rjdriver

I have my ZDoom geared up and ready to see if The Romero still has it. While the newer versions have different ways of scaring, the classic Dooms have a fascination the modern ones never seemed to capture.  

20. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 16:50 RedEye9

How are you people ...
You must be new here.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

19. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 16:36 Squirmer

18. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 16:05 Luke

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 15:05:
Thinking about this a little more this morning. it is almost sad Romero doesn't have something better to do with his time...

Its his time , the only sad thing here is you...thinking it's sad

17. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 15:51 Drayth

Didn't someone important once say, "If you're good at something never do it for free."?

Or was that the Joker?

...nm, I think it was the Joker.

16. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 15:15 Desalus

aka_STEVE wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 13:33:
It took an entire team / studio holed up in Ireland to make this ...? ?

It appears that only John worked on Sigil as a side project of his (his team had little or nothing to do with it). This is from the Q&A on the Sigil page:

"Q: How long did it take you to create Sigil?

A: I worked on it part time during 2017 and 2018, mostly while I was on vacation or in the evenings. I wanted to have a surprise for DOOM’s 25th anniversary."

15. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 15:05 Mr. Tact

Thinking about this a little more this morning. it is almost sad Romero doesn't have something better to do with his time...  

14. Re: John Romero Is Going to Make You His Wad Dec 10, 2018, 15:00 gsilver

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2018, 14:22:
Yeah kind of underwhelming lol. I guess the cool thing about .wad files is they work with pretty much every doom version that exists. Which means that all of the 673 people who still play a version of Doom or Doom 2 can enjoy this if they choose to get it.
GZDoom still runs just fine on modern OSes. Running a Doom wad is easy for anyone who cares to try.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >