Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Interviews

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 11:14 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 05:24:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 02:04:
I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does. Xbox One stuff comes out on PC through Play Anywhere, while PC-originated properties like Borderlands, Psychonauts and Skyrim end up as timed PSVR exclusives. It's unfortunate that they screw up everything they touch, but I think they've actually been contributing to PC games in the last few years, while Nintendo has been zero and Sony has been anti-.

No, they don't. Sony just do their own thing. They have no stake in PC gaming and it is their prerogative to skip the PC as a platform. They simply do not care about the PC and that's fine.

I'd have agreed until PSVR. Games that have been PC franchises are now becoming timed exclusives. If they really didn't care about PC VR then these games would be releasing simultaneously. Games like Astro Bot or Ace Combat, whatever; like PHJF says, those are console games that sometimes come over to PC. But Skyrim wasn't primarily a console game. Resident Evil used to be, but the new RE is available on PC, just not for PC VR. For the timed exclusives, Sony is spending money for games not to come out for PC VR (right away). There's an argument for how they're funding these games and they deserve the exclusives, but at the end of the day, that's what they're doing with their cash.

They have had one goal since introducing the first Xbox in 2001: Convince PC gamers that the PC is a shitty gaming platform and that Xbox is the only God thou shalt have. They want to sell us their precious little boxes, their peripherals and their games and their subs.

Again, if that was their only goal, it would be pretty easy not to release things through Play Anywhere. It's more work to have it there than not, and it doesn't really help the Xbox.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 11:06 HorrorScope

There was an interesting thread in reddit yesterday about a person who quit their job, put everything into their indy game and can't sell copies of his game. Good insight from him.

Link Here

I've been stating for a while now games and esp. indy games, most of the genre's and ideas are saturated. His game being one, he has one interesting hook, but it's too easy to just see it and go past it.

The point here is perhaps there will be an adjustment going on and indies getting under a larger umbrella to up the indy quality level and for some this will be looked at as their best current move to make.

One thing I think we can see is MS was well working with Obsidian for a good while now as Outer Worlds show it, MS must have been impressed to the point they felt "instead of contracting, we need this talent in-house to make first party games".

6. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 10:36 PHJF

I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does.

Microsoft pushed exclusivity very hard when they broke into the console market. Let's not forgot their biggest franchise was originally a PC game they bought out and dedicated their system to. I think the only reason they don't push for wider exclusivity these days is they simply can't get away with it. Publishers and developers demand the whole market.

Meanwhile, PlayStation games have been popping up for the PC on and off for decades: Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy... I don't think Sony ever had the view PC gaming and PlayStation gaming were opposed to each other.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 07:03 Jonjonz

Now if he wants the gravy to keep flowing, he needs to spend 90% of his time kissing up to various MS VPs, best of luck with that.  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

4. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 05:24 CJ_Parker

I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does. Xbox One stuff comes out on PC through Play Anywhere, while PC-originated properties like Borderlands, Psychonauts and Skyrim end up as timed PSVR exclusives. It's unfortunate that they screw up everything they touch, but I think they've actually been contributing to PC games in the last few years, while Nintendo has been zero and Sony has been anti-.

No, they don't. Sony just do their own thing. They have no stake in PC gaming and it is their prerogative to skip the PC as a platform. They simply do not care about the PC and that's fine.

MS on the other hand have a history of actively neglecting as well as outright sabotaging the PC as a gaming platform. Heck, the entire way how they have dumped "XBox" on us via Windows 10 (everything gaming in Windows 10 is Xbox branded) is a clear attempt to consolize the PC.

They have had one goal since introducing the first Xbox in 2001: Convince PC gamers that the PC is a shitty gaming platform and that Xbox is the only God thou shalt have. They want to sell us their precious little boxes, their peripherals and their games and their subs.

The problem at MS has always been this (to their weak minds) irresolvable conflict of interests. Contrary to Sony it has led them to fear, fear has led them to anger, anger has led them to hate and hate has led them to the dark side of Xboxifying the PC. Fuck Microsoft.

3. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 02:04 Orogogus

2. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 6, 2018, 21:37 Creston

Yeah, no shit. I wish they'd asked him "Brian, are you okay? Are they making you say this against your will? Blink twice if they are!"

The Holy Grail. FFS.

1. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 6, 2018, 21:17 CJ_Parker

I'm sure it's the "holy grail" for his bank account but as a developer with a previous focus on PC you can not possibly say with a straight face that Microsoft is the "holy grail" when Microsoft is obviously the company that hates PC gaming the most and considers PC gaming as the nemesis of its Xbox ambitions.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo