Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2018, 09:04 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 09:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 08:52:
It's not, after 9/11 the level of fear, ignorance and omg was at 11. They could have passed anything they wanted.

Yeah but why would you want them to? I mean they passed the Patriot Act which basically fucked everyone's privacy every which way anyway right?
I never said I wanted them to or it would have been a great thing to do. As you noted the Patriot Act was bad enough.
Words that make me shiver; Patriot Act, Homeland etc.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2018, 09:01 VaranDragon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 08:52:
It's not, after 9/11 the level of fear, ignorance and omg was at 11. They could have passed anything they wanted.

Yeah but why would you want them to? I mean they passed the Patriot Act which basically fucked everyone's privacy every which way anyway right?

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2018, 08:52 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 21:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 20:06:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 19:53:
NKD wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 17:56:
Not sure about that. Gorsuch is an originalist like Scalia, with a history of "pro-defendant" interpretations of the 4th Amendment, Roberts is also a wildcard on 4th Amendment cases since he doesn't have a strong position in either direction.
I hope your optimism proves true. But personally I wouldn't bet a single penny on it.
He yelled at his job application and really likes beer (i mean wtf). Major Danger will robinson
I hope I am proven wrong, but i doubt I will be.

That's Kavanaugh you dweeb. Fail! Gorsuch appointment was the stolen one, but with drama free confirmation. I don't know much about Kavanaugh but I suspect he would vote for whatever sounds good after slamming a half case of Natty.
doh
I had to put the 293 days stolen scotus seat deep in the recesses of my swampy brain lest it take hold of my delicate psyche.
thanks for dredging it up, i think
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 03:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 16:58:
If the US Congress hadn't had their heads up their asses they would have passed something like this the day after 9/11 by an overwhelming majority.
Not sure if sarcasm...
It's not. After 9/11 the level of fear, ignorance and omg was at 11. Congress could have passed "anything" and the scared masses would have genuflected.
Now whether it would hold up under later review is a diffent story.
I know one things for sure; If there is ever another major terrorist strike I'm gonna go into the flag selling business (buttons, sew-ons, t-shirts, bumper stickers and ones on a pole) and retire in luxury.

The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2018, 03:11 VaranDragon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 16:58:
If the US Congress hadn't had their heads up their asses they would have passed something like this the day after 9/11 by an overwhelming majority.

Not sure if sarcasm...

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 21:10 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 20:06:
Not sure about that. Gorsuch is an originalist like Scalia, with a history of "pro-defendant" interpretations of the 4th Amendment, Roberts is also a wildcard on 4th Amendment cases since he doesn't have a strong position in either direction.
I hope your optimism proves true. But personally I wouldn't bet a single penny on it.
He yelled at his job application and really likes beer (i mean wtf). Major Danger will robinson

That's Kavanaugh you dweeb. Fail! Gorsuch appointment was the stolen one, but with drama free confirmation. I don't know much about Kavanaugh but I suspect he would vote for whatever sounds good after slamming a half case of Natty.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 20:06 RedEye9

The game’s afoot.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 19:53 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 18:02 1badmf

tldr: did the new laws mandate backdoors into all encryption? if so that'd be a disaster cuz even well-encrypted things like DRM and blu-ray handshakes take little over a month for the warez community to crack. how easy would it be with the same introduced weakness built in to everything?!?  

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 17:56 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 17:12:
Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 12:22:
US government looks at Australia and gets a mad, mad boner.
Aye. The worst part is while such laws in the US would be almost certainly challenged as unconstitutional , I suspect our right leaning SCOTUS would validate them...

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 17:12 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 12:22:
Aye. The worst part is while such laws in the US would be almost certainly challenged as unconstitutional , I suspect our right leaning SCOTUS would validate them...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 16:58 RedEye9

The game’s afoot.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 16:19 Bard

Squirmer wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 15:54:
Australian politicians are the stupidest people in the world. Australian journalists aren't much better. They should have been outraged about this because these laws could absolutely be used to investigate journalists' sources in any whistleblowing case. But they're all still cowed by any vague suggestion of "terrorism".

Then there's the possibility that these laws could cripple the country's tech sector if companies decide to move overseas. Great work.

Aussie Journalists are a huge target...

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 15:54 Squirmer

Australian politicians are the stupidest people in the world. Australian journalists aren't much better. They should have been outraged about this because these laws could absolutely be used to investigate journalists' sources in any whistleblowing case. But they're all still cowed by any vague suggestion of "terrorism".

Then there's the possibility that these laws could cripple the country's tech sector if companies decide to move overseas. Great work.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 15:08 Burrito of Peace

Oz, eat a bag of dicks.

Everyone else who values your privacy, find a VPN solution, use it to connect outside your country, and use a point to point encryption protocol. There are many easy to use software packages that already exist.

The battle for digital liberty has now escalated. FIGHT BACK!

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 12:22 Creston

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 12:11 Bard

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 11:41:
"It's all about putting people first."

Yeah. The elites in power. Good one Oz. Rolleyes

You can think of Australia as a testbed for all the worst surveillance/policies for the Western world.

When I returned there after a 15 year absence I couldn't believe how it had changed into a security state.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2018, 11:41 Cutter

"It's all about putting people first."

Yeah. The elites in power. Good one Oz. Rolleyes

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo