Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2018, 09:07 RedEye9

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 20:16:
Yeah posting stupid shit when you're working for the PR of a company usually doesn't end up well. Especially when you are obviously lying about your naivety to said post's contents.

Don't take that kind of job if you can't effectively self-censor. That is not a personal Twitter account but he used it as such and paid the price.
/thread

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: etc. Dec 6, 2018, 22:17 eRe4s3r

Kain wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 13:23:
Companies capitulate too quickly on this nonsense. Here is a strategy that works - ignore them. Whether you're dealing with the left or the right, the various Twitter mobs have the attention span of a gnat and move on whenever a fresh news story lands.

The best thing is by kowtowing whenever such a shit-storm hits they are fueling them more and more. And conversely they are also fueling the opposition, which makes everything even more toxic.

However, ignoring what's posted on your company twitter isn't an option if you have investors

9. Re: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 21:22 jdreyer

MeanJim wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 14:26:
WTF has happened to the world? People are too damn uptight and looking for reasons to be offended. Lighten the fuck up and enjoy life, it's too damn short to waste time being offended at every little thing.

I'm offended by you insisting that we not be offended at every little thing.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

8. Re: etc. Dec 6, 2018, 20:16 Mordecai Walfish

Yeah posting stupid shit when you're working for the PR of a company usually doesn't end up well. Especially when you are obviously lying about your naivety to said post's contents.

Don't take that kind of job if you can't effectively self-censor. That is not a personal Twitter account but he used it as such and paid the price.

7. Re: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 17:23 Quboid

That guy's full of shit. Never heard of GamerGate, in his job? Nah. He tried to get PR by being an edge-lord, it backfired, what he got is called consequences.

If consequences look like censorship to you, you might be entitled.

6. Re: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 16:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

What a moron; anybody officially in charge of a company's social media account(s) these days should be at least somewhat aware of the potential fallout from misusing hashtags. Not that I agree there should be a shitstorm every day, but that's reality.

Besides, apparently this one guy was responsible for several of Gog's stupidly blind tweets, I'm somewhat surprised he lasted this long. It also makes his apology sound a bit false, to me at least. He had never heard of Gamergate, and he literally works in the games industry? Seriously.

Interesting side note though; Halliday had been hired in early 2018 but didn't get to Warsaw until May. "Your main goal and purpose," he had been told, "is to moderate the GOG forums because they're so toxic."

I rarely go on the Gog forums, I didn't realize they were that bad, apparently? Of course, it's a forum, for video games, so of course they are.

5. Re: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 15:31 NKD

It's very sad that they fired this guy instead of simply letting him post his apology tweet and moving on. That would have been better for everyone; GOG, CDPR, this employee, and even the outrage brigade who were upset in the first place.

Also being jobless and alone in a city and country you don't know very well sounds like a nightmare.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

4. Re: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 14:26 MeanJim

WTF has happened to the world? People are too damn uptight and looking for reasons to be offended. Lighten the fuck up and enjoy life, it's too damn short to waste time being offended at every little thing.  

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: etc. Dec 6, 2018, 13:23 Kain

Companies capitulate too quickly on this nonsense. Here is a strategy that works - ignore them. Whether you're dealing with the left or the right, the various Twitter mobs have the attention span of a gnat and move on whenever a fresh news story lands.  

2. Re: Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 13:11 WaltC

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 12:09:
Tempest in a teapot.

Yes, what an insane article! Talk about a waste of words. Anyone who apologizes for publicly stating something he sincerely believes to be true is an idiot; as is anyone who demands that other people forsake their own opinions in favor of his opinions!...;) It's all so stupid it's comical. This younger generation talks a lot about bigotry, prejudice, and the freedom of speech and opinion, and yet it seems to know almost nothing about any of those things. They are literally scared to death that someone might utter a personal opinion that is contrary to their own! Crazy stupid that is, imo. The public discourse of *all* opinion is healthy--but the desire to censor contrary opinion is sick, indeed. Censorship is something that should only be done on a very narrow basis--like egregious, meaningless profanity and/or credible threats of violence against named individuals, etc.

Example: "I hate so-and-so and I'm going to kill him and his family!" is a candidate for censorship; but "I hope that the next time so-and-so takes a walk that a piano lands on his head!" is not. I've never seen people as terrified of words and opinions as this generation--it's as if they believe that if they deny reality it will all just go away, etc. "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet," is something this generation seems to have missed in its education *cough.* Articles like "Troubling GOG tweets," are a complete waste, imo. This article itself is far more troubling than Gog tweaks, imo.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

1. Troubling GOG tweets, a fired CD Projekt employee, and the spectre of GamerGate. Dec 6, 2018, 12:09 Burrito of Peace

Tempest in a teapot.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo