Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 8, 2018, 17:02 MisterBenn

Thanks for the tips. I haven't got a permanent solution yet, but I have a process monitor Google app to close Alexa down easily which is good enough. There's some talk of rooting or at least disabling the factory bloatware online, but unless it's easy and going to stick permanently I don't know if I have the energy to do it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 18:24 jdreyer

Nice tip Redeye.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 16:49 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 15:22:
MisterBenn wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 14:28:
I really like my Fire HD10, and still think it was great value. I have a couple of recent niggles though. An update or two ago, mine started to show the advert lockscreen more often. Sometimes when you press the lock screen button, it shows an advert instead of turning the screen off and you have to hit the button again to switch off. Also if I'm awake into the early hours, I've seen the device wake up and show an advert when noone has gone near it.

More annoyingly, for the past month the CPU is permanently maxed so the device gets hot and needs charging a lot. It turns out the Alexa and Prime Video processes max the CPU, despite the fact that I have Alexa disabled and never launched Prime. You can force stop the processes to fix the problem but they restart sometimes. I never rooted or jailbroke the device, so I have to wonder how many people are getting the same issues.

I've had the same tablet for a year and haven't seen that. However, if I do something like pause Netflix and turn off the screen, the tablet will drain out in several hours. So its standby mode isn't very good. I'm always careful to close out of my apps when im done, and often power off when not using it.
@MisterBenn @jdreyer
I don't know how to check cpu usage. Alexa is turned off on my 2017 10" Fire. Mine does not get hot nor does it drain the battery. I have wifi set to turn off when not used.
I don't watch Prime or Netflix. I have installed the Google apk for chrome, google play and related apps.
I don't leave paused video apps in the background.
I do play audio book/mp3 using VLC with the screen off for hours and it sips power.
I also keep the brightness set on auto, below 33% most of the time.

Also, after owning it for a week I paid the extra $15 to turn off lock screen ads. It is not jailbroke or rooted.

But there is one thing I do that ya'll probably don't.
Immediately after charging I turn on Low Power Mode* (I can't tell that much of a difference, and it's still faster than my Nexus 7.2)
You have to do it every time because the system will only turn it on automatically at up to 40% battery left.

*swipe down, gear, power, Low Power Mode

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 15:45 Mr. Tact

As long as she stays in and around large urban areas, she is probably right.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 15:26 jdreyer

Fully automated taxis are going to cause a lot of people to forego car ownership. Once competition heats up, the price should drop drastically. My daughter has said she doesn't plan on getting her driver's license. She thinks that between public transportation and ride hailing services, she should be able to do what she needs.  

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 15:22 jdreyer

MisterBenn wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 14:28:
I really like my Fire HD10, and still think it was great value. I have a couple of recent niggles though. An update or two ago, mine started to show the advert lockscreen more often. Sometimes when you press the lock screen button, it shows an advert instead of turning the screen off and you have to hit the button again to switch off. Also if I'm awake into the early hours, I've seen the device wake up and show an advert when noone has gone near it.

More annoyingly, for the past month the CPU is permanently maxed so the device gets hot and needs charging a lot. It turns out the Alexa and Prime Video processes max the CPU, despite the fact that I have Alexa disabled and never launched Prime. You can force stop the processes to fix the problem but they restart sometimes. I never rooted or jailbroke the device, so I have to wonder how many people are getting the same issues.

I've had the same tablet for a year and haven't seen that. However, if I do something like pause Netflix and turn off the screen, the tablet will drain out in several hours. So its standby mode isn't very good. I'm always careful to close out of my apps when im done, and often power off when not using it.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 14:28 MisterBenn

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2018, 12:33 MrBone

That babe in the promo picture looks like a hotter version of Kate Middleton that had her jeans vacuum-packed onto her body.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo