Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties

Epic Games announces plans to launch their own online store as a direct competitor to Steam and similar services. Valve recently announced an increased split for best-selling games, which prompted some outcry from smaller developers. It's not clear if Epic's news is a direct response to that, but at the heart of the announcement is word that 88% of sales will go to developers, and they offer a comparison chart showing how generous this is compared with Steam splits. Here's word:

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if youíre using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epicís 12%.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 6, 2018, 08:35 CJ_Parker

christheshitter wrote on Dec 6, 2018, 08:07:
I don't know the recipe for GOG. Maybe stop selling DRM-free games. It's obvious they are loosing a lot of revenue by going that route they've chosen.

They are definitely in a difficult spot. If it weren't for GOG then we would not find many of those old games on Steam. GOG brought them back and the publishers put them on GOG *and* Steam (and maybe other platforms in some cases).

The fine folks from GOG made it all possible though by nagging the publishers and talking them into republishing their back catalog titles.

GOG has usually done all the work by actively testing and applying changes when necessary to many titles, e.g. they have bundled some games with DOSBox or "h4XX0red" DLLs, removed old DRM etc. to enable the games to run DRM-free on modern OSs.

And then they got pretty much fuck all to show for it. Instead the publishers went 'kthx' and put those "GOG-made" versions on Steam.

I'd say that was kinda stupid by GOG. They should have better negotiated exclusivity periods like 12/24 months GOG exclusivity before the publisher can put their old games on Steam, too.

But that's the tricky part because as soon as GOG start making demands then maybe the publisher goes 'ah well it's such an old game anyway, let's just say fuck it if you guys won't let us put it for sale where we want to'.
GOG are probably lacking the leverage to make any real demands.

Anyway, GOG are definitely getting way too little credit for bringing back many of these classics. They must have put a lot of legal, development and QA work into some titles by digging into who owns the rights, testing the games extensively and making sure the games run on modern OSs.

For example, we have GOG to thank for X-Wing series on Steam getting updated to the CD version level of the games (the CD versions were originally only on GOG before people complained and Disney finally put them on Steam as well).

And there are still some games where the GOG version is the best version of the game available (in digital form at least).
The original Crysis for example.
Unless something has changed in the last year (I don't check daily Wink ) neither Steam nor Origin have the 64-bit version of Crysis but only the one with the 32-bit executable. Only GOG has the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the game.

Finally, another exclusive thing that GOG is advertising way too little is the fact that only they usually have additional downloadable goodies like PDF files of the old manuals, maps, keyboard reference charts, story/lore books, guides, the soundtrack, ringtones, and so on and so on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 6, 2018, 08:07 christheshitter

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 02:02:
christheshitter wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 21:48:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 16:54:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 14:38:
So GOG is CDPR's baby? I never knew that. Gotta give credit where credit is due, those Poles are pretty smart people.

Dude? How did you miss that?

However, GOG is complete chicken shit. Its revenue is (unfortunately) completely laughable compared to a behemoth like Steam. It is no serious competition at all by any definition of the word. GOG are barely a drop in the ocean in the digital distribution world.

I saw up to you on Blues until now, what a ridiculous post. They may not have the biggest catalog but their are plenty of gems on there. But what would you know.

Dude, I'm not exactly looking to win any popularity contests on here or maybe I'd behave a little differently from time to time .

Anyway, as you can see from the "unfortunately" in parentheses in my post I'd like for GOG to do better as well. I just stated the simple truth and fact which is that GOG is chicken shit compared to most other big digital distribution players (especially Steam, ofc) in terms of REVENUE (not catalog! ... I know they have almost 2600 games on there) as I stated.

CD Projekt Red is a publicly traded corp on the Warsaw stock exchange so they are very transparent. They offer up some really good documentation on their business. You can find a very comprehensive report of their business activities on their website. Or an older one (covering 2017) but even more comprehensive one here.

GOG has had a total revenue of about PLN64 million in the first half of 2018 or according to the Q3 release they now stand at PLN92 million for the first nine months of 2018. That's just under $17 million revenue for H1/2018 and about $24 million revenue for the nine months period.

In 2017 they made annual revenue on GOG of PLN169 million. That was $44 million. They are going to need a really good Q4 this year if they want to hit last year's measly numbers.

So, sorry, but those figures are a complete joke in terms of revenue. Steam's revenue was estimated to be about $4.3bn in the year 2017. GOG made about $44 million. We are talking a factor of ONE HUNDRED.

Also note in the docs how CDPR attributes the vast majority of GOG's revenues to Witcher and Gwent. This means that they are barely making anything from the 3rd party catalog or the "old games".
They have 2600+ games on GOG. It's easy to imagine when most of the money is coming from Witcher and Gwent that at $44 million annual revenue they just aren't moving any significant amount of copies of 3rd party games.

And let's not even get started on profits or anything. For the first nine months they posted a loss. A very moderate loss but a loss nonetheless of about $250K.

Sad but true but them's the facts straight from the horse's mouth. It ain't my fault for once!

Ok! I understand. I thought you meant the library was shit which it isn't although they are missing a lot of older games and new as well. But when even Steam has getting more diluted with AAA-games it ain't helping GOG either.

I don't know the recipe for GOG. Maybe stop selling DRM-free games. It's obvious they are loosing a lot of revenue by going that route they've chosen.

47. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 5, 2018, 19:32 HorrorScope

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 06:31:
As corporations seek to cut out the middle man, they tend to run whatever they replace them with a bare bones operation.

So expect low security, incompetent and minimal customer support, consumer unfriendly return policies, and thanks to lower volume sales, higher prices to cover the cost of running an inhouse online retail operation.

All true.

46. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 5, 2018, 10:57 jdreyer

Rhialto wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 22:22:
|RaptoR| wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 16:25:
Epic has a lot to learn from a security perspective before I'll ever associate a payment method with them again.
I created an account in March and since then I've received 12 warning of account being locked because someone tried to access it. I never visited my account since March and I don't remember why I created one in the first place. Glad I never bought something there and given my credit card details.

Also I don't wanty to have a Steam/GOG/Epic client running all the time. Like many I close any client when not in use but I just hope there won't be another one.
Does Epic use some kind of MFA security protocol?

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

45. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 5, 2018, 06:41 eRe4s3r

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 06:31:
As corporations seek to cut out the middle man, they tend to run whatever they replace them with a bare bones operation.

So expect low security, incompetent and minimal customer support, consumer unfriendly return policies, and thanks to lower volume sales, higher prices to cover the cost of running an inhouse online retail operation.

Shoddy support is already a thing at Epic (And uPlay for that matter) but I have a particularly angry axe to grind with that stupid as fuck service support. I'd never give Epic my payment details or allow paypal payments with them.

44. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 5, 2018, 06:31 Jonjonz

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

43. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 5, 2018, 02:02 CJ_Parker

So GOG is CDPR's baby? I never knew that. Gotta give credit where credit is due, those Poles are pretty smart people.

However, GOG is complete chicken shit. Its revenue is (unfortunately) completely laughable compared to a behemoth like Steam. It is no serious competition at all by any definition of the word. GOG are barely a drop in the ocean in the digital distribution world.

I saw up to you on Blues until now, what a ridiculous post. They may not have the biggest catalog but their are plenty of gems on there. But what would you know.

Dude, I'm not exactly looking to win any popularity contests on here or maybe I'd behave a little differently from time to time .

Anyway, as you can see from the "unfortunately" in parentheses in my post I'd like for GOG to do better as well. I just stated the simple truth and fact which is that GOG is chicken shit compared to most other big digital distribution players (especially Steam, ofc) in terms of REVENUE (not catalog! ... I know they have almost 2600 games on there) as I stated.

CD Projekt Red is a publicly traded corp on the Warsaw stock exchange so they are very transparent. They offer up some really good documentation on their business. You can find a very comprehensive report of their business activities on their website. Or an older one (covering 2017) but even more comprehensive one here.

GOG has had a total revenue of about PLN64 million in the first half of 2018 or according to the Q3 release they now stand at PLN92 million for the first nine months of 2018. That's just under $17 million revenue for H1/2018 and about $24 million revenue for the nine months period.

In 2017 they made annual revenue on GOG of PLN169 million. That was $44 million. They are going to need a really good Q4 this year if they want to hit last year's measly numbers.

So, sorry, but those figures are a complete joke in terms of revenue. Steam's revenue was estimated to be about $4.3bn in the year 2017. GOG made about $44 million. We are talking a factor of ONE HUNDRED.

Also note in the docs how CDPR attributes the vast majority of GOG's revenues to Witcher and Gwent. This means that they are barely making anything from the 3rd party catalog or the "old games".
They have 2600+ games on GOG. It's easy to imagine when most of the money is coming from Witcher and Gwent that at $44 million annual revenue they just aren't moving any significant amount of copies of 3rd party games.

And let's not even get started on profits or anything. For the first nine months they posted a loss. A very moderate loss but a loss nonetheless of about $250K.

Sad but true but them's the facts straight from the horse's mouth. It ain't my fault for once!

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2018, 02:20.

42. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 23:25 Steele Johnson

Steam sucks! Iím all for more competition! If Gabe continues to get all of our money, heís going to explode! Maybe we can get better deals and save a life too. 2 birds with 1 stone.  

41. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 22:22 Rhialto

Epic has a lot to learn from a security perspective before I'll ever associate a payment method with them again.
I created an account in March and since then I've received 12 warning of account being locked because someone tried to access it. I never visited my account since March and I don't remember why I created one in the first place. Glad I never bought something there and given my credit card details.

Also I don't wanty to have a Steam/GOG/Epic client running all the time. Like many I close any client when not in use but I just hope there won't be another one.

40. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 22:10 christheshitter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 22:04:
Their are plenty of unique games on GOG. And by the way they usually work better there too than on Steam. And they are DRM-free plus offer many things that came with the game like manuals, artwork, soundtracks etc..

Really you should reconsider.

I think you misunderstand. I have dozens of games on GOG and am playing a game on there fairly regularly, I just don't leave the client running all the time. I leave the Steam one running, since that's where most of my games are, and also my brother and nephew hang out there.

Ok i understand.

Well it depends on what the priorities are and the size of the library of games. Although GOG Galaxy is pretty good nowadays. I just wished GOG had those classics only present on Steam.

39. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 22:04 jdreyer

Their are plenty of unique games on GOG. And by the way they usually work better there too than on Steam. And they are DRM-free plus offer many things that came with the game like manuals, artwork, soundtracks etc..

I think you misunderstand. I have dozens of games on GOG and am playing a game on there fairly regularly (was playing X-Wing last week), I just don't leave the client running all the time. I leave the Steam one running, since that's where most of my games are, and also my brother and nephew hang out there.

38. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 22:01 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 21:13:
At this rate, Steam's going to be irrelevant in three to five years time. Every single dev will just have their own client, and nobody will want to deal with Steam's greedy bullshit percentages anymore.

Nah, only the AAA devs can afford their own clients. Mid-tier and indie devs will continue to use Steam. And those devs will put their stuff on all platforms, because while you may get a bigger slice of the pie with Epic, you'll sell and order of magnitude more on Steam.

37. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 21:48 christheshitter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 13:49:
Xero wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 11:32:
It's always great to have competition but I do not want multiple platforms installed on my PC.

From a convenience standpoint, I agree. On the other hand, I just leave GoG and Origin off until I want to play a game unique to those services.

Epic has a lot to learn from a security perspective before I'll ever associate a payment method with them again. Back in July, about 9 million epic accounts showed up on the darkweb (mine included). I use Dashlane and have a securely generated unique password for every single service I use. No passwords are reused.

My account was compromised and I was billed $400 in v bucks (what the fuck is a vbuck?). I opened a ticket with them immediately and explained that I don't even know what a fortnite is and they ignored the ticket. Also removed stored payment credentials.

I pleaded with them on twitter, and still they ignored my ticket. I disputed the transaction with Paypal, but because Epic had a sellers agreement, it was a legitimate transaction from their end and suggested I bring it up with Epic. My ticket finally got a response that said my user/pass combo showed up on a third party site and that I should secure my account. Dude. The only way this shit got leaked was through you. It was a unique user/pass to your service!

I had to post a thread on reddit before the community managers reached out and resolved my case/issued refunds. 3 weeks later. And they said the same thing. My user/pass was compromised. I told them that it was a unique combination for their service and linked them to the various sites reporting that they had a user database leak, and they said "okay well we're not sure how it is out there but our systems weren't compromised."

They still haven't owned up to it. Never putting payment information on an Epic Games account again.

What a shitty way of handling it's customers. Thank you for posting this. Although Fortnite is a shitty kids game.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2018, 22:04.

36. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 21:23 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2018, 21:13:
At this rate, Steam's going to be irrelevant in three to five years time. Every single dev will just have their own client, and nobody will want to deal with Steam's greedy bullshit percentages anymore.

No doubt that's happening, they countered this week, but looks like they'll need to keep working at it after Epic's news. They still get the most eyeballs so they can get more, perhaps 5% more. They'll adjust as this goes along.

35. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 21:13 Creston

34. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 19:47 wtf_man

I pretty much TRY to do everything through GOG.

I had Steam first, so I still ocassionaly get a game from them that I can't get on GOG.

That said... I wouldn't sign up for another DRM store... ever.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

33. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 18:57 ventry

Competition is always a good thing. I wish them luck.

"Make a living not a killing"
As long as GOG makes enough for their staff and owners to earn a comfortable living then that is all that is required.

To score a home run one just needs the ball to make the stands, not sail out of the stadium.

32. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 18:12 Ahumado

It's the American way! Competition and Capitalism  

31. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 16:54 CJ_Parker

30. Re: Epic's Online Store To Undercut Steam Royalties Dec 4, 2018, 16:45 CJ_Parker

Awesome umm... EPIC move by EPIC. It's about time Valve got their lazy, fat, complacent, dumb ass kicked!  

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo