Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M

A post on Twinfinite does a little accounting, and reports that the recent free fly week for Star Citizen earned another $7 million for the crowdfunded space game(s) (thanks PCGamesN). They note that this is not slowing down Cloud Imperium Games' push for more cash, as there's now a sale underway discounting their Anniversary 2018 Game Packages from the 2947 Star Citizen Anniversary Special, which celebrates plans to launch in 929 years. It was about two weeks ago that the game surpassed the $200 million funding mark, and as of this writing the game's Stretch Goals Page says it has raised $208,394,323 from 2,184,159 Star Citzens.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 4, 2018, 21:34 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2018, 16:01:
Not if he is knowingly and purposefully running what he considers to be a con job. Perhaps Bernie Madoff is his personal hero..

He's not doing it on purpose. The man has just never seen a feature he didn't like. Star Citizen is scope creep hell.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 4, 2018, 21:04 jdreyer

Midnight wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 22:46:
Tavil wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 21:28:
Someone needs to put a stop to Chris Roberts and his scam... This is a con of massive proportions.

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure Roberts is conning himself as much as anyone else. He genuine believes that he's making the greatest game of all time, and when it all comes crashing down he's going to be as surprised as the poor fools who believed him.

On the one hand, I wonder if he's gaming greatest example of Dunning-Kruger. On the other hand, what's been built so far is pretty cool and unique.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2018, 17:24 IgWannA

Don't the Star Citizens realise the more money they "donate" to the cause, the more "features" Roberts is going to add, pushing the "release date" back further and further...  

26. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 16:01 Mr. Tact

Not if he is knowingly and purposefully running what he considers to be a con job. Perhaps Bernie Madoff is his personal hero..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 14:15 saluk

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 22:50:
An interesting point, it is probably something we will never really know for sure. Is Roberts believing his own hype?

When you are making money you always believe your own hype. It's human nature.

24. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 12:19 HorrorScope

Luke wrote on Dec 3, 2018, 11:57:
And at this point they know the story, they are informed, their choice. We have to get over about what other do with their money. You don't want people up in your (general audience) business. We also know some people have more money then they can spend, so expensive video cards like cars, we seem not to have a problem with cars, are nothing to them, so companies market and make money there. That's how this all works.

You just don't get do you...
Get what? People aren't allowed to be free in what they spend their money on, albeit legal things?

23. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 11:57 Luke

And at this point they know the story, they are informed, their choice. We have to get over about what other do with their money. You don't want people up in your (general audience) business. We also know some people have more money then they can spend, so expensive video cards like cars, we seem not to have a problem with cars, are nothing to them, so companies market and make money there. That's how this all works.

You just don't get do you...

22. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 11:35 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 3, 2018, 01:16:
If people are dumb enough to pay $300 for an in-game ship, let them.

21. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 09:49 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:57:
Star Citizen has bilked an average of $95 out of a couple million weirdos with little more than promises throughout its crowdfunding campaign that has carried on for the better part of the last decade.

Giggle

20. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 09:39 Luke

Chris throw in 2 mill of the crowdfund money to fake a " lots of interest " in his scam...and the puppets go wauuuuu me too  

19. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 09:32 Xero

This is like seriously starting to make me angry. Someone needs to put a stop to Chris Roberts and his scam. People evidentially cant protect themselves so someone needs to step in to do it for them. This is a con of massive proportions.

Well if people are still doing it, whose really at fault here at this point? Everyone should know what's up, it's been years. At this point, you blindly don't give a sh!t and are happy to throw your money at it, or you are honestly dumb as bricks if it doesn't turn out how you thought it would.

I laugh all the time reading about this, but Chris Roberts may actually be a genius here. I joked in another thread that the dude will milk this all the way to his retirement, but now I'm not so sure it was a joke. He knows what sells, what keeps people throwing more money at them. He hasn't given a finished product yet and is living like a king. Good for him.

Primarily playing ATM: Shadow of Tomb Raider, FarCry 5, Warhammer 2, Shadow Warrior 2.

18. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 3, 2018, 01:16 Muscular Beaver

Kosumo wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 19:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 19:17:
Kosumo wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 19:11:
I don't really think it should be called 'crowdfunded' due to ...
But it is crowdfunded. So that is the proper term to use.

I disagree.

It was crowdfunded up to around $6-8 million dollars, then more "pledge" items where introduced. At that point, they where pre-selling stuff.
Eh? You always get stuff promised if you crowdfund something. That is essentially pre-selling as well.
But its crowdfunding.
If people are dumb enough to pay $300 for an in-game ship, let them.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

17. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 22:50 Mr. Tact

An interesting point, it is probably something we will never really know for sure. Is Roberts believing his own hype?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 22:46 Midnight

Someone needs to put a stop to Chris Roberts and his scam... This is a con of massive proportions.

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure Roberts is conning himself as much as anyone else. He genuine believes that he's making the greatest game of all time, and when it all comes crashing down he's going to be as surprised as the poor fools who believed him.

http://www.crimsondark.com

15. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 21:28 Tavil

This is like seriously starting to make me angry. Someone needs to put a stop to Chris Roberts and his scam. People evidentially cant protect themselves so someone needs to step in to do it for them. This is a con of massive proportions.  

14. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 19:28 Kosumo

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 19:17:

I disagree.

It was crowdfunded up to around $6-8 million dollars, then more "pledge" items where introduced. At that point, they where pre-selling stuff.

13. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 19:17 RedEye9

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

12. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 19:11 Kosumo

Hey Blue, I don't really think it should be called 'crowdfunded' due to the fact that the bulk - $200 million plus - is actually from people buying internet spaceships and other DLC, some of which people are really only pre-ordering concepts of still to be made DLC for and unfinished game that is still in pre-alpha.

Then Chris Roberts takes this money and wastes it.

Chris Roberts is a very scummy liar.

11. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 16:51 WaltC

Earlyworm wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:28:
so.. they have revenue 2011 - 2018 for approximately the same amount as Fortnite brought in for the first 20 days of May this year. Why is the money spent on this game so hot topic?

Fortnite is shipping--a product...;) $210M raised by a non-shipping game that after six years + has yet to get out of alpha (!) has to be some kind of record, I would think...;) Still, it's hard to think of objections if the people funding it wish to continue doing so.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

10. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Earns $7M Dec 2, 2018, 16:35 Luke

Don't believe it  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo