Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X4: Foundations Launches

X4: Foundations is now available for Windows on GOG.com and Steam, offering the latest installment in Egosoft's science fiction spaceflight game. You can learn all about the game on its official website, and take a look in this trailer. Here's a bit of what to expect from this:

X4 will allow you to fly all ships personally. From small scouts over a wide range of ship classes up to the biggest carrier, everything can be piloted from the cockpit or an external view.

A big focus in the development of X4 has been to achieve a seamless and immersive experience when moving between ships. You can leave a ship, climb down a ladder, walk over the dock of a large space station into another ship you may have parked there and replace the pilot that was working for you just by clicking on his chair.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 2, 2018, 02:11 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 20:13:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 12:14:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 02:30:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 01:36:
Ravor wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 21:46:
Has anyone else noticed how phallic the spaceship looks?

You're describing most spaceships in most sci-fi properties. The nose of an X-Wing is a giant circumcised penis, for example.

He's talking about the one in the preview image, which goes beyond just being long and thin, featuring two testicles.

Thanks, now I cannot unsee.

I've noticed the game seems to be very phallocentric. You even see it in the artwork in stations. Very bizarre.

Subliminal marketing for the kiddies?

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 20:13 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 12:14:

You're describing most spaceships in most sci-fi properties. The nose of an X-Wing is a giant circumcised penis, for example.

He's talking about the one in the preview image, which goes beyond just being long and thin, featuring two testicles.

I've noticed the game seems to be very phallocentric. You even see it in the artwork in stations. Very bizarre.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

22. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 12:14 jdreyer

21. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 11:41 HorrorScope

So I'm playing Everspace, but last night jumped on X4's stream, then jumped to Elite (guys was demoing a new mining beta), then jumped to NMS. Between the last 3, NMS looks the best in streams.  

20. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 11:08 Cutter

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 00:34:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 21:12:
* Game is gorgeous. I mean GORGEOUS. Even on my 970.

Can you post some screenshots somewhere? I've been looking at some "ultra" settings videos, and it honestly looks pretty bad. Just flat textures on spaceships, few to none cool space anomalies, and everything just has this weird bright sheen over it once it gets targeted. I was severely unimpressed, but hopefully it was just a bad video.

Really? Even watching the one live 1080 feed on Twitch last night I thought it was impressive.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

19. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 03:36 Frijoles

Played for a couple hours. Worst tutorial I think I've ever seen in a game. Why even bother if it's bare minimum. And if the limited tutorial doesn't help, there's literally a link to a Wiki page from within the game.

As I have not looked at the Wiki, that may explain why I have no clue what I'm doing. I'd like to upgrade my ship, but can't find anyone who sells ship parts. I've been flying around to various stations looking. Perhaps there's a better way. At least I hope so as right now it's really lame having to do this just to see if I can find a new gun somewhere.

Not impressed at all, but that's most likely my own ignorance. I'm passed the two hour mark, so no returning. I think I'll have to find a guide on youtube or something. Don't care for the UI at all. I've given up trying to figure out where things are in my local space using the tiny map. At the moment I'd give it a 4/10.

18. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 02:30 Orogogus

17. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 01:36 jdreyer

16. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 00:34 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 21:12:

Can you post some screenshots somewhere? I've been looking at some "ultra" settings videos, and it honestly looks pretty bad. Just flat textures on spaceships, few to none cool space anomalies, and everything just has this weird bright sheen over it once it gets targeted. I was severely unimpressed, but hopefully it was just a bad video.

15. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 00:27 eRe4s3r

necrosis wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 21:56:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 18:32:
Welp, reviews are mixed. Buggy as usual is the main cry. Gonna' watch some on Twitch over the next few days and hrm it over until the Xmas sale methinks. If anyone does take the plunge there are more than a few people who would be curious about your impressions 'round here.
Watched a twitch streamer for 8 hours and they saw no game breaking bugs. Only a few seriously minor ones. No fucking idea what the reviewers are talking about.

Activate auto pilot in a highway = be thrown in a void a few billion lightyears from any portal

Ram into asteroid at high speed, end up inside of it

Travel drive active while flying through a gate will catapult you out with 5000m/s

Ships camping in front of gate exit + the issue above = instant death loop

That's just 4 issues I found within 20 minutes of playing....

14. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 00:09 HorrorScope

A little dry, see what people are up to in a couple days progressing.

EDIT: Dan just came across a corrupt save while streaming.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2018, 00:27.

13. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 22:44 Slashman

necrosis wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 21:56:
Welp, reviews are mixed. Buggy as usual is the main cry. Gonna' watch some on Twitch over the next few days and hrm it over until the Xmas sale methinks. If anyone does take the plunge there are more than a few people who would be curious about your impressions 'round here.
Watched a twitch streamer for 8 hours and they saw no game breaking bugs. Only a few seriously minor ones. No fucking idea what the reviewers are talking about.

They are legitimate bugs as Egosoft has a bug report section on their forums. Just not sure the reviewers are actually experiencing bugs or disappointment bred from expecting Star Citizen.

I'm going to buy, got enough video RAM to run it. It apparently does not play well with anything under 3 GIGs. That may be where some of the bug reports come from.

Going to wait until they put out a patch or two though.

12. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:56 necrosis

11. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:46 Ravor

10. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:36 Drayth

OH FFS.. ok cleared cookies, lol.  

9. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:35 sean_murray

No, it's not just the panning everything is stuttering in this video.

The game itself may run better, but I think they recorded this running on a potato or something.

Will pick this up at some point.

8. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:18 jdreyer

Sure looks gorgeous.

I thought the stuttering was caused by recording someone panning around with a controller for the shot, not due to the engine, but just my opinion.

EDIT: Thanks for impressions Burrito.

7. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:12 Burrito of Peace

<Takes off space helmet>

Quick impression after playing it for the last 2.5 hours:

* Typical Egosoft game with launch bugs. Expected this. Found one game breaking bug where I went on the bridge of another ship and it took off. Leaving me forever stranded on that ship as your ship can't come to you unless it has a pilot to fly it there.

* Flight controls are very similar to X:Rebirth but better. Mouse control is fluid and feels like it has pressure, which the ship reacts to.

* Menus are much improved. But it's Egosoft so cuneiform tablets would be an upgrade from what was offered in the past.

* The map takes some getting used to...but I like it. It took me about 10 minutes to get comfortable with it and issue orders with it.

* Tangled with some Xenon in the first 30 minutes of the game. They're not hard...yet. Still, it's a good way to generate some credits until you can start taking on more lucrative missions or setting up trade routes.

*The Unproven Explorer is hard as fuck to start with, but a lot of fun in my opinion. Moreso than the other two options.

<Puts space helmet back on and undocks>

6. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 21:06 SpectralMeat

I am probably going to grab this around Christmas time. Off to youtube to watch some gameplay.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Nov 30, 2018, 20:48 Cutter

Been watching a good stream for an hour or two now. Casting it to my new 55" in 1080 and it looks sexy as a mofo from where I'm sitting. This is a definite buy I'm thinking...it's only a question of when.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo