Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Citizen Passes $200M

The Stretch Goals page on the Roberts Space Industries website shows that fundraising for Star Citizen and Squadron 42 has now passed the $200 million dollar mark (thanks Eurogamer). The exact figures as of this writing are $200,012,699 in funding from 2,121,295 contributors, a remarkable $94.29 each. This campaign launched in 2012 to fund a game expected in 2014, but the endless support from backers has lead to the protracted development of two games that currently remain in the alpha stage. This feature creep has inspired vocal criticism, but as this new milestone demonstrates, many Star Citizens remain loyal to the project. According to Wikipedia this is the fourth-highest sum ever raised through crowdfunding. More striking is how that list of crowdfunding successes is dominated by speculative blockchain projects. Star Citizen has actually raised one thousand percent more capital than the second game on that list, the $19 million locked up by Prison Architect.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 21, 2018, 18:56 Kosumo

I want it for my Smart phone  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 21, 2018, 15:36 RedEye9

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 21, 2018, 14:03:
It's quite enjoyable seeing Derek rage at the success Star Citizen has had, especially given what a trainwreck his own games are. Perhaps he should finally get around to releasing Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.
that ages better than fine wine. lol

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

55. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 21, 2018, 14:03 theyarecomingforyou

It's quite enjoyable seeing Derek rage at the success Star Citizen has had, especially given what a trainwreck his own games are. Perhaps he should finally get around to releasing Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.  

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

54. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 17:29  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 16:22:
I see what you mean now. I would hope that the SQ42 team would just build what they need for those systems and not wait for the PU team to build it first. That would be the logical thing to do. But logic doesn't seem to be used much on this project.

Yes - from a gamedev standpoint, that's precisely how you would do it. Build the areas for SQ42, even if they're not yet connected to the main SC game. However, we haven't seen any indication that's what they're actually doing. So for all we know, they could very well have built specific set pieces for SQ42 trailer, without them having any connection to the game's world. The end result is that they either do different versions for SC, or they never show up in SC anyway. It's not like anyone is expecting them to build the world that far out anyway. I mean, they haven't even finished building Stanton yet, and they won't be done with that until sometime around the end of 2019 as I wrote below.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

53. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 16:22 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 11:39:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 10:57:
Right, SQ42 will be traditional "mission levels" like you'd see for any other space shooter, not the open world sandbox promised with the PU. I wasn't expecting anything else for SQ42.

Yes, that's what we all expected. But that's not what I was talking about. Maybe I wasn't clear or you didn't understand what I was getting at. Let me see if I can offer some clarity.

Using the starmap...

Let's say a mission takes place in Stanton system, in space and over Lorville planet. They have it built because it's in SC already.

What about a mission that takes place in the Hadrian system, in that space or on the planet? We have yet to see those in SC because, well, there's no inter-system travel now anyway.

So either they have built the Hadrian (or whatever system the SQ42 trailer takes place in) system, or they once again created cinematic using pre-existing assets just for the trailer. Like they've done so many times in the past.

Engine issues aside, this could explain why SQ42 isn't out yet, and also why they've been promising the roadmap since Q4/17, and again in crobert's latest newsletter - but haven't actually released it. And they won't do that because that would reveal the real state of SQ42.

I see what you mean now. I would hope that the SQ42 team would just build what they need for those systems and not wait for the PU team to build it first. That would be the logical thing to do. But logic doesn't seem to be used much on this project.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

52. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 15:26  dsmart 

Tavil wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 13:52:
Zoopster wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 10:19:
Meanwhile Elite Dangerous actually released to retail and was playable in 2014.

I know, and nobody gives them credit at all. Its really frustrating.

Those who backed it, along with those who bought it, are the ones who do give it credit. Star Citizen backers..not so much.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 13:52 Tavil

Zoopster wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 10:19:
Meanwhile Elite Dangerous actually released to retail and was playable in 2014.

I know, and nobody gives them credit at all. Its really frustrating.

50. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 11:39  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 10:57:
Right, SQ42 will be traditional "mission levels" like you'd see for any other space shooter, not the open world sandbox promised with the PU. I wasn't expecting anything else for SQ42.

Yes, that's what we all expected. But that's not what I was talking about. Maybe I wasn't clear or you didn't understand what I was getting at. Let me see if I can offer some clarity.

Using the starmap...

Let's say a mission takes place in Stanton system, in space and over Lorville planet. They have it built because it's in SC already.

What about a mission that takes place in the Hadrian system, in that space or on the planet? We have yet to see those in SC because, well, there's no inter-system travel now anyway.

So either they have built the Hadrian (or whatever system the SQ42 trailer takes place in) system, or they once again created cinematic using pre-existing assets just for the trailer. Like they've done so many times in the past.

Engine issues aside, this could explain why SQ42 isn't out yet, and also why they've been promising the roadmap since Q4/17, and again in crobert's latest newsletter - but haven't actually released it. And they won't do that because that would reveal the real state of SQ42.

49. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 10:57 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 07:30:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 15:39:
Several years ago, based on the glacial pace, I said we'd be lucky to see 10 complete systems by the time the game launched. And I was fine with that, if they were detailed enough.

But these days, I have to agree with Derek. We'll see just one system when the game launches, and no other systems will be built.

Consider this if you will. SQ42 takes place in the same world as Star Citizen. The world they have yet to build beyond Stanton. Now think about this: how could they possibly finish SQ42 if the game world isn't completed? Simple. They are building select level set pieces - just like you saw in the SQ42 "vertical slice" - which are compartmentalized. e.g. if there is a mission that takes place in an area that is not yet available in SC, they just build an independent level for it. That's why the area you see in that SQ42 trailer from CitizenCon, looks nothing like what is currently in SC.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

48. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 19, 2018, 07:30  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 15:39:
Several years ago, based on the glacial pace, I said we'd be lucky to see 10 complete systems by the time the game launched. And I was fine with that, if they were detailed enough.

But these days, I have to agree with Derek. We'll see just one system when the game launches, and no other systems will be built.

Consider this if you will. SQ42 takes place in the same world as Star Citizen. The world they have yet to build beyond Stanton. Now think about this: how could they possibly finish SQ42 if the game world isn't completed? Simple. They are building select level set pieces - just like you saw in the SQ42 "vertical slice" - which are compartmentalized. e.g. if there is a mission that takes place in an area that is not yet available in SC, they just build an independent level for it. That's why the area you see in that SQ42 trailer from CitizenCon, looks nothing like what is currently in SC.

47. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 19, 2018, 07:23  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 18:58:
(they've doubled performance in the city in one week's worth of PTU patching btw, in case that issue is mysteriously brought up).

Yeah, that's patently false; and not even the most devout backers are making that claim. And there isn't a single shred of evidence that supports this. Quite on the contrary. And as I wrote here (complete with videos), the Lorville they ended up releasing in 3.3.5, complete with walled-off no fly zones - after promising and showing backers flying IN and AROUND the city - is further evidence.

I have been playing the latest versions, along with others and as I predicted months ago, whatever gains they thought OCS+NBC were going to bring, are immaterial and inconsequential.

Getting high fps when you're in an un-populated area, an empty server etc, isn't the same as your average fps when you're actually engaged in "gameplay" activities.

I wrote extensively about that here, here, and here.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2018, 09:04.

46. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 18, 2018, 18:58 Drayth

Yeah, it's a given this is going to take a while longer. Those behind the project get that. Walking around Loreville and exploring Hurston shows us what they're striving for (they've doubled performance in the city in one week's worth of PTU patching btw, in case that issue is mysteriously brought up).

This, to me, is one of the few true PC games being developed on this level. Only other one I can think of is the ArmA series. In a day were every-single-AAA game is a console port it's exciting, for me, to see if this can make it to the finish line. All for the price of a starter package and a small upgrade to my starter ship (Mustang StarterWhatever to Mustang Beta). I actually prefer to earn things in game than have shortcuts, so they can have all the ship sales they want. I'll keep waiting and playing the alpha builds.

45. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 18, 2018, 18:08 RedEye9

Stormsinger wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 17:38:
wtf_man wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 15:25:
IgWannA wrote on Nov 17, 2018, 13:08:
At what point can we all get refunds for non delivery? I paid my $35 back in 2014 and the completion date keeps getting pushed back indefinitely. If they still haven't released a working game by 2024 can we all get refunds? How long can they go on like this, making more ships and not finishing the game?

You pretty much can't get a refund from crowdfunding. You are making an investment (Not pre-purchasing the product)... if the company goes belly up trying to make the product... you lost your investment. Period.

About the only way refunds have been issued are either outright scams (zero to no effort in making said product), or creating something completely different than was initially pitched.

CIG definitely has more than enough evidence of trying to create the game... so you can't get them on that.

I think there was a period of time that you could get a refund because they changed what they initially pitched... but that deadline expired a long time ago.

So, as everyone else has said... no you can't get a refund. You need to understand the difference between investing in a game vs. pre-purchasing one.

With the exception that in no way does crowdfunding qualify as investing, you're pretty close to accurate. Investing would be buying stock or bonds issued by the company. Crowdfunding is just suckers giving someone money...there's little more to it than that.
Aw come on now, there's also the related "thoughts and prayers" that the givee maintains in hopes it will carry him until said product is delivered.
At least in this case CIG has shown proof that they are working on the game continue to be active in the community. I'd start to worry if they go 'dark' and their instagram shows nothing but pictures of salt bae, large yachts, bikini clad women, hot tubs and Swiss Chalets.

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

44. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 18, 2018, 17:38 Stormsinger

wtf_man wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 15:25:
At what point can we all get refunds for non delivery? I paid my $35 back in 2014 and the completion date keeps getting pushed back indefinitely. If they still haven't released a working game by 2024 can we all get refunds? How long can they go on like this, making more ships and not finishing the game?

You pretty much can't get a refund from crowdfunding. You are making an investment (Not pre-purchasing the product)... if the company goes belly up trying to make the product... you lost your investment. Period.

About the only way refunds have been issued are either outright scams (zero to no effort in making said product), or creating something completely different than was initially pitched.

CIG definitely has more than enough evidence of trying to create the game... so you can't get them on that.

I think there was a period of time that you could get a refund because they changed what they initially pitched... but that deadline expired a long time ago.

So, as everyone else has said... no you can't get a refund. You need to understand the difference between investing in a game vs. pre-purchasing one.

With the exception that in no way does crowdfunding qualify as investing, you're pretty close to accurate. Investing would be buying stock or bonds issued by the company. Crowdfunding is just suckers giving someone money...there's little more to it than that.

43. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 18, 2018, 15:39 jdreyer

42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 18, 2018, 15:25 wtf_man

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

41. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 18, 2018, 15:14 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 15:08:
Qbex . wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 01:13:
Regardless of the outcome, this should be a clear signal that there is huge potential in wing commander type space game. It boggles my mind that not one big money publisher and capable dev house is making any note of this and planing their own version of wing commander/privateer/freelancer instead of making another battle royale clone

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare?

That was a shooter masquerading as space sim...so not quite right.

There is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and X4 Foundations coming out this month though.

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 18, 2018, 15:08 jdreyer

Qbex . wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 01:13:
Regardless of the outcome, this should be a clear signal that there is huge potential in wing commander type space game. It boggles my mind that not one big money publisher and capable dev house is making any note of this and planing their own version of wing commander/privateer/freelancer instead of making another battle royale clone

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare?

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 18, 2018, 13:51  dsmart 

To reduce Star Citizen to just be about the amount raised is to do a disservice to all this. No other game shares as much information on a weekly basis, and no other game I know of is as focused on listening to and working with its community to make the best game possible. When I look around and see other games, even ones from major publishers, copying our playbook, I know we have had a positive influence on the gaming industry.

I have no frigging clue wtf hes talking about. Last I checked, there were no copyrights or trademarks on how to run an active scam.

And its more than just the funding, its been six years of ground breaking open development, where all of you have been actively involved in what we are building.

Oh so it's six years now. Over time, it's hard to keep up with the lies.

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isnt like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you werent going to come back to it for awhile. Were already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.
Chris Roberts, Oct 19, 2012

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $200M Nov 18, 2018, 12:56 Cutter

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 07:08:
FloorPie wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 04:22:
Dude has a skateboard intro and two macs on his desk. Totes actual lawyer awesomeness. Totes subscribing for more informed youtoob hip cool lawyerness.
Let's definitely take your opinion over that of a legal professional specialising in tech law. I mean, what do experts know?

"You dropped 150 grand on a fuckin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library."

He doesn't know anything you can't learn if you're so inclined. Law isn't rocket surgery. All you have to do is pick up some books.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo