Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Adds Australian Pricing

A post on Steam from Valve announces that products on Steam now offer localized prices in Australian dollars for customers down under (thanks PCGamesN). The lack of local pricing in Australia has long been a frustration for gamers in the region, we can point to a story from over seven years ago with complaints about AU price-gouging. Here's word on what's changing and what's staying the same:
The entire Steam catalog is now priced in Australian Dollars for customers living in Australia.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened to USD in my Steam Wallet?
Australian accounts with Steam Wallets in USD have automatically been converted to Australian Dollars, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion. To view your wallet balance and account details, go to https://store.steampowered.com/account.

Can I continue to make purchases in USD?
The Australian Dollar is the currency that is available for purchases made in Australia.

Has the availability of games on Steam changed with this?
No changes have been made to the contents of your library. All of the languages and features in the games that existed when the store was priced in USD are still available. Most games previously available in USD are now priced in AUD and are available for purchase in Australia, but an occasional product may be missing until it is priced in AUD.
View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 17, 2018, 18:05 ventry

So, when does this kick in??
All the pricing is still in USD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 21:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 15:14:
The major problem with "regional" pricing is how some of us get screwed and others get a break. Why is it they give some regions breaks on game price - to combat piracy ostensibly - yet others of us like Canada, Aus, etc. get charged more than our American counterparts when we earn 30% less. That's price gouging - which is nothing new in this country anyway.

#FirstWorldProblems

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 19:58 Ventura

Sledge1 wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 18:55:
Still showing as USD to me...

Yeah, me too. Why is the post written as if it's been done already?

9. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 19:13 Burrito of Peace

You know, if Aussies were to purchase a subscription to a quality, non-logging VPN service, and then corsair their way to arrrquisitions, I wouldn't blame them at all.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

8. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 18:55 Sledge1

Still showing as USD to me...  

7. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 15:44 Grokk

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2018, 15:14:
The major problem with "regional" pricing is how some of us get screwed and others get a break. Why is it they give some regions breaks on game price - to combat piracy ostensibly - yet others of us like Canada, Aus, etc. get charged more than our American counterparts when we earn 30% less. That's price gouging - which is nothing new in this country anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax

6. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 15:14 Cutter

5. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 14:19 KS

Autoconversion could be a benefit, a loss, or a push. It should not have been done.

Then there's the price difference in converted, too, on top of the exchange rate. If a game price is X Aus. dollars, but the exchange rate for the US price is X - 2, they've lost out, even with a "fair" exchange rate.

If they wanted to force the issue, give a 10% bonus on conversion such that their wallets now can buy 10% more gaming than their pre-converted dollars could.

4. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 12:55 theyarecomingforyou

It really astonishes me that this wasn't the case already. How hard can it be for a multi-billion dollar corporation like Valve to add regional pricing? It just strikes me as utter contempt for the region.  

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

3. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2018, 12:52 Prez

The problem all this time was a language issue. Gabe thought they were asking for a vegemite sandwich.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2018, 11:54 deqer

"conversion rate be dictated by market value at the time of conversion."

instead of at the time of conversion, shouldn't it be at time of when this problem was first reported?

1. Re: Steam Adds Australian Pricing Nov 16, 2018, 09:26 CJ_Parker

Soooo.... how many kangaroos for HL3, Gabe???  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >