Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

There's a nor'easter in the forecast, so we're currently looking at the prospect of snow and freezing rain in these parts. It's a shame we can't magically turn this into a nor'wester (which is apparently an actual thing in New Zealand), since a downpour could possibly help dampen the Wildfires in California. That's probably naive thinking, and a storm would probably just make things worse, but it's hard not to wish for some sort of miraculous turnaround in light of the terrifying reports from the scene. Those reports also make it impossible to complain about a snow storm considering what the west coast is enduring right now, so I'll just break out my shovel and my long johns and count my blessings.

Long John Sliver Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Landor Quest 2.
Links: AI Trying To Design Inspirational Posters Goes Horribly And Hilariously Wrong. Thanks Max.
Media: Deadlocked Bench Vice is Perfectly Restored.
Why New Yorkers Insisted On a "Worse" Subway Map
Meanwhile In Russia.
Follow-up: Homeless man and N.J. couple concocted story for GoFundMe fundraiser, complaint says. So they were all scammers?
Chilling details recount fatal Southwest flight that pulled woman out window. Thanks j.c.f.
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 00:25  Mr. Tact 

How much snow did NJ get?  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2018, 00:11  MacLeod 

FFS... this storm was absurd... not because the roads were bad, they really weren't here... but apparently, everyone in NJ has lost their minds and forgot how to drive in winter weather since last season.

I have a 25 minute commute to and from work (with traffic, it's usually about 35 coming home). They let us out early at work today (at 4 pm)... I just got home at midnight. That's right... a 25 minute drive took 8 HOURS!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 23:39  Mr. Tact 

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 15, 2018, 11:45:
An interesting twist on the NJ couple/homeless man GoFundMe story. I have to admit I didn't see that coming. I wonder if it what happened or if the prosecutor is simply applying pressure in an attempt to get some plea bargains. I look forward to the next chapter in the story...
It looks like indeed it was a scam. Apparently they have phone texts from the woman telling a friend. She also texted that her mother told her "people go to jail for scamming others out of money". The best part, is it seems likely if they had just given the homeless half the money as planned, they would have gotten even more out of a book deal they were attempting to complete. They could easily have not gotten caught at all if they had just been a little less greedy.

Crooks.. their own worst enemies.

11. Re: AI Trying To Design Inspirational Posters Goes Horribly And Hilariously Wrong. Nov 15, 2018, 22:12  Kxmode 

First attempt  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 21:01 1badmf

Jivaro wrote on Nov 15, 2018, 12:48:
As a native of California with over half of my 44 years living in the state, including currently, I can confirm that we are happy Oz left.

the current fires, at least down south, were fueled by the santa ana winds which easily top 50mph for days at a time. in those conditions even the smallest ember will be blown into an inferno really easily, and yes fires get blown across freeways and rivers just as easily. so no, a neighborhood fire break would've done nothing. the winds would've blown the fires directly onto people's houses.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 15:20 DangerDog

The ones who's houses survived the wildfires now get to look forward to having them destroyed by mud slides.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 14:32 Agent.X7

Well, it was a good scam until they did what crooks always do; Turn on each other.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 12:48  Jivaro 

As a native of California with over half of my 44 years living in the state, including currently, I can confirm that we are happy Oz left.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 12:44 Cutter

If it was all a scam I hope they lose everything and end up in prison for a very long time.

Yeah, they say the snow is coming today. Starting this afternoon and into the evening - about 10CM. Course' about 30 mins north of where I live it's already been snowing for the past week.

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 12:44  Mr. Tact 

Just curious, what was the nature of the proposed fire break? I ask this more out of ignorance than anything else. I don't know what kind of things would be proposed in that situation.

Edit: The more I think about this the more interested I am in the answer. I was under the impression these fires jump over 4 lane highways and wide rivers without much trouble. Seems like an effective fire break would have to be significant barrier...

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2018, 14:09.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 12:26 Ozmodan

After living in California for 10 years I could not take anymore of the nutcases and left. An example that directly pertains to the fire. We had a big San Diego fire, entire housing sections were destroyed. A very good friend lost his house, but he rebuilt as did many others. The housing association sought to build permanent fire brakes and got approval from the feds. Of course, the environmental lobby immediately got a permanent injunction preventing such. This is very common for the powerful environmental lobby there to prevent any kind of land management. The sheep in California just let them get away with it. So yes the really dry brush and the lay of the land play a big part in these fires, but the basic problem still lies with the nutcase environmentalists doing everything they can to kill people. It is the same with their water issues, if not worse.

I really feel sorry for the loss of life and property, but they basically are as much at fault for this as the weather is.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 12:15  RedEye9 

The 17 minute vice refurb was fantastic. Dude did a good job of editing so you never felt bored. Easily $1000 worth of labor.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 11:45  Mr. Tact 

An interesting twist on the NJ couple/homeless man GoFundMe story. I have to admit I didn't see that coming. I wonder if it what happened or if the prosecutor is simply applying pressure in an attempt to get some plea bargains. I look forward to the next chapter in the story...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2018, 11:36  RedEye9 

GoFundMe,
Where fools and their money go to get separated.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >