Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Blizzard Financials

Activision Blizzard Announces Third-Quarter 2018 Financial Results are online, which they describe as "better-than-expected." Word is: "For the quarter ended September 30, 2018, Activision Blizzard’s net revenues presented in accordance with GAAP were $1.51 billion, as compared with $1.62 billion for the third quarter of 2017. GAAP net revenues from digital channels were $1.28 billion. GAAP operating margin was 18%. GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.34, as compared with $0.25 for the third quarter of 2017." Gamasutra has a slide that goes with the results that sheds more light on the period, as it reveals that Destiny 2: Forsaken has "underperformed expectations." On the Blizzard side, they also show lower revenues for both Overwatch and Hearthstone, though they do not say this was unexpected.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 9, 2018, 11:26 Jivaro

The total cost to play Destiny 2, including expansions, is far beyond what people are willing to pay. It's not a bad game, but c'mon...they want Call of Duty type money for a game that belongs to a franchise that has never succeeded like any Call of Duty game. If you outprice demand you are gonna be disappointed with sales.

I have only played a couple hours of the base game and the "intro" takes up most of that so I don't have an "informed" opinion on the overall game but it sure seemed decent enough to do better than it has.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 9, 2018, 10:01 HorrorScope

Icewind wrote on Nov 9, 2018, 03:40:
I would've bought Forsaken, but from what I saw, the drop rate was not improved. I see no point in investing 3-4 hours of play just to gain 2-3 "light levels". I beat the base campaign and the first two DLC campaigns as well, and hit around light level 360. Getting to 400, so I could do the extra post-end game content they started making available, was impossible. I was gaining maybe 1 light level per day, and it was by very small adjustments to my load out. My weapons were mostly ineffective, and drops were abysmally bad.

Yep they are too stingy and the grips of greed and control seep in by absolute design.

There is no doubt to them it has to be this way or the product fails generating the revenue they need. The alternative is giving the user more loot/fun/xp/leveling, that is fear to them, players too quickly in and out, no reason to microtrans if we give out generous digital goods as drops. I guess and they rather have the product die then be limited to whatever revenue they think that would be. It's a guess on their end in many ways still, so they decided on wall street vs gamer fun. They've actually loot-boxed themselves, going for big money hoping people leveling slow will drop a few more $$$'s.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2018, 10:21.

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 9, 2018, 09:35 Brazor

Icewind wrote on Nov 9, 2018, 03:40:
I would've bought Forsaken, but from what I saw, the drop rate was not improved. I see no point in investing 3-4 hours of play just to gain 2-3 "light levels". I beat the base campaign and the first two DLC campaigns as well, and hit around light level 360. Getting to 400, so I could do the extra post-end game content they started making available, was impossible. I was gaining maybe 1 light level per day, and it was by very small adjustments to my load out. My weapons were mostly ineffective, and drops were abysmally bad.

Everyone wants to repeat the successful model that WoW has been using. But that's bad in the long run. Players are catching on and others are buying out. New game-play mechanics won't help.

6. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 9, 2018, 08:40 heroin

Seems like they didn't promote the fact that now you can buy Forsaken and it includes the previous 2 shitty DLCs that were required to play it. Maybe if they'd have done that from the fucking beginning (and reduced retail price to $30) it wouldn't have underperformed; but obvs Bungie deserves an underperforming sales perform sheet.  

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 9, 2018, 03:40 Icewind

4. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 9, 2018, 03:16 Osc8r

Is Blackout already dying? It used to have somewhat comparable figures to Fortnite on twitch, these days it has a fraction of that and often isn't even in the top 5...

People finally realised it's just a shallow console game?

3. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 8, 2018, 23:22 Red886

so much money but nope, no proper sequel for you  

2. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 8, 2018, 21:08 Hark659

Guess they'll want Destiny 3 on mobile.  

1. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 8, 2018, 19:23 CJ_Parker

... as it reveals that Destiny 2: Forsaken has "underperformed expectations."

Aaaaawwwwwww crap

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.