Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 9, 2018, 10:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 15:44:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 12:45:
Pacific Rim should be a near no-brainer anime conversion, but they messed up Altered Carbon so much from the novels that I have no hope for the show, live action or animated.

I read the books and watched the show, I liked the show better, to be honest. They made some rigorous changes to backstory and relations in the show, but all in all I thought it flowed better because of it.

Also, I still don't see how they make a good tv show out of book 2.

I guess I will have to go back and finish watching the show version at some point, a lot of people I know who have read the books seem to still like the show. I had JUST finished reading the books when the show was starting to come out, it was probably just too fresh in my mind to tolerate their changes.

As far as book 2, that's partly my point; no live action show is going to be able to do the second novel accurately without a blockbuster movie budget, and even then it'd probably come off as phony looking. They will have to change so much that it might as well be a different story entirely, I suspect.

I am still pissed that the author gave up on the series... I guess it didn't do so well back when he first wrote it. Maybe he will go back to it after the Netflix success? Book 2 was just starting to show how insanely epic that universe could be, I loved it. Book 3 was slightly smaller in scale, but still crazy awesome, and also probably beyond the budget of a TV show/Netflix show.

and although recently Morgan has stated that the Netflix adaptation has "kind of woken it all up again" after all these years, making him possibly reconsider being done with Kovacs. (From wikipedia)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 9, 2018, 07:04 Beamer

Red886 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 23:34:
Castlevania Season 2 was so boring it does not even work as a side window playing in the background.

what a huge disappointment compared to S1.

I really dug it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 9, 2018, 05:43 eRe4s3r

SlimRam wrote on Nov 9, 2018, 04:59:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 16:22:
Will the AC anime keep all the gore and nudity?
I have to admit, Altered Carbon pulled off one of the best multiple, naked, girl clone fights in the history of television...

Yeah that was definitely a unique scene

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 9, 2018, 04:59 SlimRam

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 16:22:
I have to admit, Altered Carbon pulled off one of the best multiple, naked, girl clone fights in the history of television...

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 23:34 Red886

Castlevania Season 2 was so boring it does not even work as a side window playing in the background.

what a huge disappointment compared to S1.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 22:20 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 18:51:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 17:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 14:33:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 13:55:
Really liked Altered Carbon series too and never read the books or heard of it before the show.

The problem is (not that I pretend to speak for everyone) most of us get attachment to characters of a series. Altered Carbon is going to have a all new cast (with a couple of hold overs?) each season. I can't think of a single series, that's ever done it successfully. Worst, afaik each time it's been tried it's failed, so I don't hold out much hope. The most recent I can think of was True Detective.
True detective has new people and stories every season.
People in the Altered Carbon universe are digital human freight, the sleeve is immaterial* (think the same person in a different body). If the story is good, the show should be good.

*Getting a decked out sleeve is nice but an envoy in an unaugmented body will still have their most feared feature, mental conditioning. Of course you could get a synthetic sleeve but things never taste right.
http://altered-carbon.wikia.com/wiki/Sleeves
Actually there was a big backlash about changing actors in season 2 and it didn't get as good rating. Now for season 3 they are bring back the some or most of the actors from season 1, iirc.
Methinks you might be mistaken on that or confused it with the following "Pizzolatto and Saulnier will executive produce along with Scott Stephens, Season 1s Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, as well as Cary Joji Fukunaga, Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown."
https://www.hbo.com/true-detective/true-detective-season-3-cast-stephen-dorff
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710716/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
Good point, I must have misunderstood their "producer" roles. Wonder if it was to help the series with their name recognition.

Still pretty comfortable saying there's been no successful series who changes cast each season. Season two has an average rating of 6/10 compared to season one's 8/10. Even if you counted True Detective despite it's poor season 2, it's only single series out of hundreds, if not thousands that relied on a single cast. At least imo, there are a vast majority of viewers who don't know there's going to be a completely new cast next season.

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 18:51 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 17:42:
Really liked Altered Carbon series too and never read the books or heard of it before the show.

The problem is (not that I pretend to speak for everyone) most of us get attachment to characters of a series. Altered Carbon is going to have a all new cast (with a couple of hold overs?) each season. I can't think of a single series, that's ever done it successfully. Worst, afaik each time it's been tried it's failed, so I don't hold out much hope. The most recent I can think of was True Detective.
People in the Altered Carbon universe are digital human freight, the sleeve is immaterial* (think the same person in a different body). If the story is good, the show should be good.

*Getting a decked out sleeve is nice but an envoy in an unaugmented body will still have their most feared feature, mental conditioning. Of course you could get a synthetic sleeve but things never taste right.
Actually there was a big backlash about changing actors in season 2 and it didn't get as good rating. Now for season 3 they are bring back the some or most of the actors from season 1, iirc.
Methinks you might be mistaken on that or confused it with the following "Pizzolatto and Saulnier will executive produce along with Scott Stephens, Season 1s Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, as well as Cary Joji Fukunaga, Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown."
https://www.hbo.com/true-detective/true-detective-season-3-cast-stephen-dorff
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710716/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 17:42 Acleacius

Yeah, it's just most people don't know there's going to be an all new cast. There's been several discussions on the reddit (official?) forums. The point is there's no successful show that changes their full (most) cast each season, unless I'm forgetting one? Thinking2

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 16:22 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 15:44 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 12:45:
Pacific Rim should be a near no-brainer anime conversion, but they messed up Altered Carbon so much from the novels that I have no hope for the show, live action or animated.

I read the books and watched the show, I liked the show better, to be honest. They made some rigorous changes to backstory and relations in the show, but all in all I thought it flowed better because of it.

Also, I still don't see how they make a good tv show out of book 2.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 14:33 RedEye9

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 13:55 Acleacius

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 13:49 VaranDragon

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 13:16:
Fion wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 13:07:
Having never read the Altered Carbon novels, I adore the show.
I too thought the show was the shiz. But the novel is intense. The show fails to capture 1/10th of the books world building. almost apples and oranges tomatoes

I dunno. I thought the world building was the best part of the show, they messed with the lead character's backstory though, and I can't figure out why exactly. Maybe because they figured it would be too dark otherwise. The envoys for example really ARE the bad guys in the books. (They were/are government special forces, not some hippie rebels)

Still a good show, I liked it a lot. But yeah the novels are much better.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 13:16 RedEye9

I too thought the show was the shiz. But the novel is intense. The show fails to capture 1/10th of the books world building. almost apples and oranges tomatoes

3. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 8, 2018, 13:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Same here. Not sure how it compares to the books, but on its own merits, it's a really good show.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 13:07 Fion

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 12:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo