Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns

A thread on Reddit discusses various concerns about Fallout 76 security, and the possibility the upcoming RPG sequel will be vulnerable to exploits, noting the first mods to allow cheating in the game are already appearing. There's a statement about this from Bethesda on Eurogamer, and while the company states some of these claims are inaccurate, they do acknowledge room for improvement in this regard, saying they will be tightening up certain aspects of the game's security. Unsurprisingly, they don't go into detail about which concerns they do and do not see as legitimate:

"Many of the claims in the thread are either inaccurate or based on incorrect assumptions. The community has however called to attention several issues that our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for," a Bethesda spokesperson told us via email.

"Our goal is always to deliver a great experience for all our players. Cheating or hacking will not be tolerated. We know our fan base is passionate about modding and customising their experience in our worlds and it's something we intend to support down the road."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 7, 2018, 03:24 Retired

So many things to play right now, this is a huge wait and see.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 7, 2018, 03:23 Bishi

Cancelled my preorder (die hard fallout fan with many hundreds of hours played in all previous games)
This game is just a mess. The lore / story is weak and hindered by lack of NPC.
The PVP is laughable, survival element is pathetic (far too easy to 'survive') its more of a coop spam fest than anything with true multiplayer.
Technically the game is weak, the fallout games always have problems but at least they can often be modded out. As this is an online game i expect heavy restrictions will be put in place.
PC support is a joke, performance is abysmal (45fps in starting area on 2080ti), FOV is locked to a shitty console level, limited graphics options, poor controls. Generally just looks worse than Fallout 4. FPS limited to 60 in 2018 for a PC title, wtf is this shit.
Because of the above and the fact is basically a hacked up single player game (Fallout 4), cheating is already rampant and it will take some fundamental design changes to prevent (not happening).
Whole thing just feels like a rushed, poorly conceived cash-in that will flop.

There might be some fun here for people playing casual coop with friends but I'd be surprised if it stretches past 10 hours.

18. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 22:39 CJ_Parker

The Pyro wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 14:35:
Given Bethesda's experience with ES:O

TESO = Developed and run by Zenimax Online, not Bethesda.

17. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 19:12 jamiedj99

because and online game cant be exploited right  

16. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 16:31 Agent.X7

ldonyo wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 10:48:
I had a great time with the beta this past weekend and can't wait for the full release!

Ditto. I loved it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpyG-zNh7M4/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

15. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 14:35 The Pyro

Given Bethesda's experience with ES:O, I'm really surprised that FO76 has such obvious security holes in the netcode. Client-authoritative HP + collision checking? I saw the same vulnerabilities exploited in the 90s (playing Descent IIRC); devs ought to be expecting these shenanigans by now.

Less than a month is not much time to overhaul your netcode...

14. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 14:09 DangerDog

The engineers have finished their investigation and the solution to playing the game without people using vulnerabilities and exploits is to play the console version instead of the console port to PC version.

13. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 13:31 mellis

Some of the opinions of the beta are not in any way positive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TN0twyQHT4  

12. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 13:02 HorrorScope

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 12:52:
Been playing a bit when I can and so far I kind of enjoy it. My only real gripe is I feel the story they are trying to tell is wasted with the open multiplayer system. It gets kind of hard to become immersed in a “world” through heartfelt recordings of the previous inhabitants when everytime you look up again you see Frogfncker666 and Fuddermucker1337 dressed up as Fallout Boy Uncle Sam bunnyhoppin all over creation. This would have been better as either a single player adventure or at the very least with controllable servers where you could choose private, friends , or free-for-all. (ala State of Decay 2).

One of the common things will most mmo's. They want to tell a single player story, but everyone is doing and becoming the same hero. Weird. It's like you have to ignore that and just go along. It's like there is a group that wants to play single player in many ways, but likes a little other players roaming around the landscape.

11. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 12:54 MisterBenn

ZiggyD posted a pretty fair video after 20 hours of beta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOpHNoudM4

I've watched a fair bit of him playing in coop, there are some good bits in there along with a lot of issues. When you strip everything else away, you can explore a Fallout world and play Fallout quests together with your mates. That alone is going to make it worth it for some people. The locations I've seen are often good looking and the world seems to be very large.

On the bad side, it's an extremely shoddy PC port, there are numerous bugs apparent already (I saw a couple different quests break, and multiple issues getting people into the same instance, friended and partied up.) The fact that so much seems to be client side strikes me as a catastrophic lack of game security - I have no idea how they are going to stay on top of cheating.

Lastly, despite the measures taken the gameplay does seem to be susceptible to PvP griefing. If you build a couple base buildings for an income, then a couple of stronger players arrive, what are you going to do? They can steal the items your machines are making and become wanted, but if you engage them they will kick your ass. And you respawn 50 metres away so the situation remains. As far as I can see, other players can still disrupt whatever you have going on in the world, and if they are too strong it seems you have to move on elsewhere and hope they don't follow you.

So if you are pretty lucky/successful at avoiding the issues, there is some fun in there to be had, but I still feel like this game has a lot of problems and is overpriced for what it offers.

10. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 12:52 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Been playing a bit when I can and so far I kind of enjoy it. My only real gripe is I feel the story they are trying to tell is wasted with the open multiplayer system. It gets kind of hard to become immersed in a “world” through heartfelt recordings of the previous inhabitants when everytime you look up again you see Frogfncker666 and Fuddermucker1337 dressed up as Fallout Boy Uncle Sam bunnyhoppin all over creation. This would have been better as either a single player adventure or at the very least with controllable servers where you could choose private, friends , or free-for-all. (ala State of Decay 2).  

9. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 12:28 VaranDragon

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 12:05:
VaranDragon wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 11:57:
It's nothing like that, PvP seems to be completely optional.

For the most part but there is still room to grief others. Me and my friend were playing and in the first town there was a roaming band of players who were just unloading in to us and while we were in passive mode there's still a little damage which soaks through and they were on us like peanut butter and jelly until we left.

I guess the amount of ammunition required is the deterrent but it still can't stop shitty players being shitty.

Other than that, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the beta. My friend had three keys to give out and since I was on the fence about it I asked for one and it's been interesting to say the least. The lack of human NPCs is jarring and the holo tapes are a little bit to talky talky but overall it had a nice flow to it.

I thought the game would run like supreme shit but I can play on Ultra 1440p and it stays over 80fps. I mean, it still looks like shit in most cases but I figured I'd be tanking in to the 30s.

Also from what I've seen there is MOB leveling in the game.

I'm not sure if there is... at least not for higher level mobs anyway. I encountered a weird glitch which teleported me from the starter zone to another sub-zone and the mobs were level 25 Mole people whereas I was 5 or 6. The nearby Super Mutants were my level though so I dunno...

Yeah scaling is restricted to regions and and min-maxes a bit.

In any case this guy sums up my feelings on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWlrVI1-Yc

8. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 12:09 Acleacius

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I should watch a youtube.  
“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

7. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 12:05 Wallshadows

It's nothing like that, PvP seems to be completely optional.

For the most part but there is still room to grief others. Me and my friend were playing and in the first town there was a roaming band of players who were just unloading in to us and while we were in passive mode there's still a little damage which soaks through and they were on us like peanut butter and jelly until we left.

I guess the amount of ammunition required is the deterrent but it still can't stop shitty players being shitty.

Other than that, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the beta. My friend had three keys to give out and since I was on the fence about it I asked for one and it's been interesting to say the least. The lack of human NPCs is jarring and the holo tapes are a little bit to talky talky but overall it had a nice flow to it.

I thought the game would run like supreme shit but I can play on Ultra 1440p and it stays over 80fps. I mean, it still looks like shit in most cases but I figured I'd be tanking in to the 30s.

Also from what I've seen there is MOB leveling in the game.

I'm not sure if there is... at least not for higher level mobs anyway. I encountered a weird glitch which teleported me from the starter zone to another sub-zone and the mobs were level 25 Mole people whereas I was 5 or 6. The nearby Super Mutants were my level though so I dunno...

6. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 11:57 VaranDragon

Acleacius wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 11:56:
Darks wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 10:54:
I had a great time with the beta this past weekend and can't wait for the full release!

So did I, I never saw any exploits, but I wasn't trying to do anything out of the ordinary either.

But the game was fun, plays very much like any of the other Fallout's. with some minor changes.
Would you mind expanding on how it plays if you have the time?

I was pretty much under the impression this was just another battle royal, just Fallout's version. Unless you mean the combat feels like previous Fallout's during battles or maybe I just misunderstood the game.

It's nothing like that, PvP seems to be completely optional. Also from what I've seen there is MOB leveling in the game. Somehow level scaling is still a thing thing that somehow never seems able to die, despite being hugely unpopular.

5. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 11:56 Acleacius

Darks wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 10:54:

So did I, I never saw any exploits, but I wasn't trying to do anything out of the ordinary either.

But the game was fun, plays very much like any of the other Fallout's. with some minor changes.
Would you mind expanding on how it plays if you have the time?

I was pretty much under the impression this was just another battle royal, just Fallout's version. Unless you mean the combat feels like previous Fallout's during battles or maybe I just misunderstood the game.

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

4. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 11:52 VaranDragon

Watched Shroud play (he is a big fallout fan) game looks like about as fun as watching paint dry. It's basically Fallout4 with other people, if you have friends and No NPCs, just quests to do in a dead, abandoned world, since you can run away from anyone you want to, and everyone does. Also most quests bug out if more than one person does them. Well, okay I guess thats to be expected from a beta right?

If they had some true PvP servers for people who don't just carebear it might actually have some meat on its bones. Also for a supposed survival game, it's actually surprisingly easy to survive. You literally find shit everywhere. I think the F4 survival "mode" where you had to eat and drink was more difficult than this is.

In fact this whole game makes Fallout4 look like a really, really great game in comparison and thats not a good thing.

Really, really hate the fact that they put level limits on guns. So you found a cool new gun? Well guess what! You're gonna have to wait 10 levels before you can use it! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? Why is this in the game?!

3. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 11:43 Cutter

Yet another reason to skip this.

"If you promote conformity, don't be surprised if that's what you get." - Ken Robinson

2. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 10:54 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

1. Re: Bethesda Responds to Fallout 76 Exploitation Concerns Nov 6, 2018, 10:48 ldonyo

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo