Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement

Blizzard missed an opportunity to mitigate the backlash to their BlizzCon announcement of Diablo: Immortal for mobile if an unconfirmed rumor on Kotaku is correct in saying that the company pulled plans to tease Diablo 4 at BlizzCon at the last minute. They attribute this to "two people familiar with Blizzard’s plans" who say the mobile announcement was to conclude with the news that a proper sequel in the action/RPG series is in development, but not yet ready to show. They describe the no comment they got back from Blizzard in an unusual way: "Blizzard said it did not immediately have comment on this story." The Diablo: Immortal announcement generated controversy, but this report recalls that Diablo III was not without its own issues. The game launched with an online auction house that was very unpopular, eventually provoking a major post-release rework amid shakeups atop the development team. From Kotaku's account, it sounds like they are still a little shell-shocked from that misstep, which may be why they would slow-walk an announcement:

The reactions could have been very different. Blizzard changed its BlizzCon plans for Diablo at some point in the last couple of weeks, those people familiar with goings-on at Blizzard said. One of those people told me that the Diablo team wasn’t yet ready to commit to an announcement, as Diablo 4 has changed drastically over the past four years and may continue to change further. (We’ve heard it’s gone through at least two different iterations under different directors.)

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 9, 2018, 12:06 Xero

I laugh mostly at everyone that got annoyed that D4 was not announced. Blizzard didn't have to do anything.

So they made an announcement nobody wanted, big deal. You can't expect every BlizzCon for them to drop a hammer with a major release title, it ain't happening.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 16:56 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 14:07:
People who complain that others are "over-reacting" (and I assume you mean just the ones downvoting videos and posting angry comments on forums, not the shitbags harassing people and sending death threats cuz, you know, fuck them) always surprise me a little. Surely if you've been a gamer for more than 6 months you know that gamers don't need a whole lot to get their knickers in a twist over something. Whether you call that righteous anger, entitlement, passion, or an over-reaction depends a lot on your perspective, but that's neither here nor there. Two things that you have to remember are

1) Any publisher of any status whatsoever knows better than any of us how little it takes to set off a community. The smart publisher takes steps to mitigate that, hence the suggestion that even a D4 flashed on the stage screen for a few seconds could have nipped all of this in the bud. Blizzard screwed up, period.

2) Publishers have become such monolthic, unwieldy behemoths that it is hard for gamers to even get their attention. Far harder than it used to be given how large the gaming community has become. Things like the Battlefield 5 'realism' backlash after the initial trailer reveal and Blizzard's current self-inflicted shitstorm, while easily labeled as unreasonable over-reaction in a vacuum, are one of the few surefire ways to get publishers attention. Well reasoned, calm responses just don't get it done; overreaction is practically required at this point if you want to let a publisher know that you are unhappy.

Exacerbating the problem is that publishers and especially games media are notorious for handling what should be easily predictable backlashes so poorly that they end up making the backlashes far worse than if they had just shut up and said nothing. Gamergate grew much worse with all of the stupid "gamers are misogynist children" articles, backlash against EA's Battlefield 5 trailer got worse with Sunderland's idiotic "accept it or don't buy it" response, and Blizzard's rep yelling at the crowd "Don't you people have phones!?" at the booing crowd (completely and utterly missing the point) is a new level of stupid.

Backlashes are almost always overblown. Welcome to large group dynamics 101. Smart players in an industry take steps beforehand to ensure they either don't happen in the first place or are greatly lessened than what the backlash might have been otherwise, and they issue measured, moderate responses to the angry mob instead of fueling the fire further by responding with inflammatory rhetoric. It seems as though, based on recent history on gaming over the last few years, the gaming industry has a shortage of smart players.

Perfectly stated, Prez. Thank you.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

44. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 16:31 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 02:49:
SirKnight wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 23:38:
Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 19:16:
Jesus, get over it already. You'd think they'd raped your grandma or something form some of the insane reactions.

The reactions are not insane and are perfectly understandable. What's insane is how clueless and radical you always are. Blue must have an enormous amount of restraint to not have banned you long ago.

Watch this video from boogie, as he goes into detail why the reaction is what it is and why it's NOT insane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEuOkdidhk&t=0s

And go get some mental help. Seriously.

Hyperbole is the name of Cutter's magic sword in his highschool DnD campaign, and I can see why Blue called him out. I've been guilty of it myself but it voices a very real frustration I also have with entitlement culture that Cutter is trying to get across here.

I mean, what happened to us? A few ribald comments in a text chat in Actionquake seemed all well and fine at the time but it's ballooned into this whining, screeching tempest of stupidity and toxic masculinity that is eating up people as they grow into it and making the whole enterprise seem like a sick joke that exists solely to tax the socially inept.

And I love boogie as much as anyone but he built his rep on unjustified overreaction to insignificant nonsense. Which is what this is. If you are some kind of Blizzard cultist that hangs the hope they have for their eternal soul on every announcement and gospel coming out of a convention then you are in far more desperate need of help than Cutter.

I mean, mobile games are mostly trash, but so are most games on Steam! So is most TV, anime, books, 98% flaming piles of garbage! I can't think of any exception to this rule other than maybe alcohol? Still plenty of trash there as well!

But they make money, and why wouldn't they? Someone found a type of game that most people have the hardware for (Phones) the time for (basically anywhere, anytime), cash for (From zero to infnitiy) and experience for (Very little). It's not an expensive investment of financial, skill or time capital. Why shouldn't a big publisher try to cash in their IP in this realm?

Consoles are one step up, and I know plenty see them as not much better than phones, but think about how so many of the regulars here struggle to shoot people in a controller FPS (I have 2 60 year olds struggling with this in BF1 on xbox right now, but they are rapidly getting the hang of it!) It's tricky isn't it? Ever tried to talk your mum through a driver update, or even a GOG download over the phone? Well for most humans, our hobby is way more difficult and expensive than that jump.

Games for 'us' have never been better. Battletech, Into the Breach, God of War, that F/A-18 module for DCS, Red Dead 2 is looking pretty solid as well. I don't think I've ever played so many 50 hour full-meat games in one year! They are not drying up. With Factorio and Kerbal in recent years I feel they have never been better or more numerous. It doesn't make sense why people are so mad.

That Blizzard are not bringing the thunder is nothing new. They are not really in the risk-taking business. Most recent hits? Damage control on a failed project (Overwatch) a highly polished micro-transaction engine (Hearthstone, a game that plays identically on mobile). Console ports of Diablo 3. They exist to make money. They have valuable IP that they need to put to work in the 12 years between numbered sequels that they wont build until they can think of a way to put in an auction house that wont upset people in them. Warcraft and WoW were polished versions of games other people worked out how to build first. They might be the hackiest of the big developers. What is most shocking is that they didn't try this years ago.

It's not what they did, but how they did it.

43. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 16:29 jdreyer

Red886 wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 23:50:
geez, even a cinematic trailer of Diablo 4 would kick everyone into a positive frenzy, even if development is not actually happening.

No kidding, right?

"Blah blah Tryael blah blah Horadrim blah blah Deckard Cain."
A million happy fans.

42. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 7, 2018, 03:53 Icewind

Desalus wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 19:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 15:56:
Desalus wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 09:08:
Not all mobile games are hot garbage, unless I guess if you are some kind of gaming elitist.
All? Probably not all. Most? Definitely.

I agree. Most are garbage. Diablo Immortal does not look like one of those games however.

I agree, it *looks* good, but it's developer is notorious for inserting Pay2Win mechanics in their games, apparently. Now, maybe Activision/Blizzard may have told them to cut that crap out this one time...but maybe they don't care.

Truth is, we don't know yet, and won't know, so I'm waiting until it comes out to form my final opinion on it.

41. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 19:31 Desalus

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 15:56:
Not all mobile games are hot garbage, unless I guess if you are some kind of gaming elitist.

I agree. Most are garbage. Diablo Immortal does not look like one of those games however.

40. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 16:36 Numinar

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 14:07:
People who complain that others are "over-reacting" (and I assume you mean just the ones downvoting videos and posting angry comments on forums, not the shitbags harassing people and sending death threats cuz, you know, fuck them) always surprise me a little. Surely if you've been a gamer for more than 6 months you know that gamers don't need a whole lot to get their knickers in a twist over something. Whether you call that righteous anger, entitlement, passion, or an over-reaction depends a lot on your perspective, but that's neither here nor there. Two things that you have to remember are

1) Any publisher of any status whatsoever knows better than any of us how little it takes to set off a community. The smart publisher takes steps to mitigate that, hence the suggestion that even a D4 flashed on the stage screen for a few seconds could have nipped all of this in the bud. Blizzard screwed up, period.

2) Publishers have become such monolthic, unwieldy behemoths that it is hard for gamers to even get their attention. Far harder than it used to be given how large the gaming community has become. Things like the Battlefield 5 'realism' backlash after the initial trailer reveal and Blizzard's current self-inflicted shitstorm, while easily labeled as unreasonable over-reaction in a vacuum, are one of the few surefire ways to get publishers attention. Well reasoned, calm responses just don't get it done; overreaction is practically required at this point if you want to let a publisher know that you are unhappy.

Exacerbating the problem is that publishers and especially games media are notorious for handling what should be easily predictable backlashes so poorly that they end up making the backlashes far worse than if they had just shut up and said nothing. Gamergate grew much worse with all of the stupid "gamers are misogynist children" articles, backlash against EA's Battlefield 5 trailer got worse with Sunderland's idiotic "accept it or don't buy it" response, and Blizzard's rep yelling at the crowd "Don't you people have phones!?" at the booing crowd (completely and utterly missing the point) is a new level of stupid.

Backlashes are almost always overblown. Welcome to large group dynamics 101. Smart players in an industry take steps beforehand to ensure they either don't happen in the first place or are greatly lessened than what the backlash might have been otherwise, and they issue measured, moderate responses to the angry mob instead of fueling the fire further by responding with inflammatory rhetoric. It seems as though, based on recent history on gaming over the last few years, the gaming industry has a shortage of smart players.

I agree with all of this, and I suppose you are right. This was a business/PR failure they should have anticipated. Pandering to babies seems gross though and that is/they are what annoy me the most, because that's my people. I hoped we were better. But we are not, to the outside we must appear to be a few rungs below a talking point spewing breitbart troll.

I'm used to companies being tone deaf and fucking up as just standard SOP, it's not like shitty side projects are a new thing in games, getting the 'wrong thing' has been something that has happened for as long as I remember. This isn't like Master of Orion 3, Star Control 3 TA: Kingdoms or probably more relevantly, launch Diablo 3 and the latest WOW exp. This is a bunch of fanboys who have almost no reason to be that way based on Blizard's track record this century hyperventilating.

39. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 15:56 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 15:51 Desalus

007Bistromath wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 13:54:
Besides, aren't you being presumptuous to say that Diablo Immortal is hot garbage? Not all mobile games are hot garbage, unless I guess if you are some kind of gaming elitist.
Yes, I am an elitist. That's what you are automatically when you have standards. Am I supposed to feel bad about that? If you have no real opinion about games, I will disregard your opinions about gamers.

Oh please...get off your high horse. I have standards too but I'm not going to automatically say a game is shit just because it's being released for mobile platforms.

37. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 14:07 Prez

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2018, 15:10.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. No subject Nov 6, 2018, 13:54 007Bistromath

Besides, aren't you being presumptuous to say that Diablo Immortal is hot garbage? Not all mobile games are hot garbage, unless I guess if you are some kind of gaming elitist.
Yes, I am an elitist. That's what you are automatically when you have standards. Am I supposed to feel bad about that? If you have no real opinion about games, I will disregard your opinions about gamers.

35. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 13:08 RedEye9

Flatline wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 11:52:
Dude a fiery number 4 in diablo font and maybe the guitar strum we all have burned into our memories would have been enough to sustain a year's worth of hype.
You understand Blizzards audience better than they do.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

34. Re: Hmm Nov 6, 2018, 12:30 Flatline

Doombringer wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 08:58:
I don't know, I'm calling BS on this.

Starcraft 2 has been out forever and there's no SC 3 announcement. Really, there doesn't "have" to be, as SC 2 still a fine game that can be expanded upon. So is Diablo 3.

Diablo 4 would be like Blizzard announcing a World of Warcraft 2, or an Overwatch 2. It's not supremely necessary to increment the "counter" by one right now. I could be very, very wrong, but Blizz in recent years hasn't been one to throw out sequels for the sake of it.

I do believe that Diablo has been in development turmoil however. Apparently it's enough to have some higher-up think a quick cash grab of a Mobile title, leveraging NetEase, would be enough to mollify players. It's done the exact opposite.

SC2 took six years for it to release all 3 episodes. Legacy of the void came out a little over 3 years ago. It essentially got overhauled twice in the process.

Diablo 3 came out in 2012 and it needs a fundamental update. The gameplay is stale and ARPGs and loot fests like Destiny 2, The Division, and even Borderlands & path of exile and other APGs have changed the landscape of the genre. It is a six year old game after all.

33. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 11:52 Flatline

Prez wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 08:40:
As much as I hate to agree with a shitrag like Kotaku, they are exactly right. Hell even a 7 second splash screen with a Diablo4 logo would have almost completely diffused the situation immediately. Is it just me or has Blizzard forgotten how to business?

Anyway, while I get that the art direction change doesn't sit well with fans of Diablo 2, and the story is kind of pants, I wholeheartedly disagree that Diablo 3 hasn't evolved into a proper Diablo game once it was unfucked. It is full of content, endlessly replayabe, pretty balanced, fun as hell, and feels like a Diablo game. Is it as good as Diablo 2? No, but it still is a great game in my opinion. All I need for it now is for Blizzard to patch in an offline mode once a new Diablo becomes the new hotness.

Dude a fiery number 4 in diablo font and maybe the guitar strum we all have burned into our memories would have been enough to sustain a year's worth of hype.

32. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 11:11 Desalus

nomoreshite wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 10:59:
No Idea where you got that idea from, did you bother reading?

In the quote below you made it sound as if you are talking about a direct sequel, which Diablo Immortal isn't. It's a spin-off game which shouldn't be compared to the main line of Diablo games. People's hopes and dreams for Diablo 4 shouldn't be wrecked because they haven't even shown Diablo 4.

It becomes obvious they didn't make it better, they made it more profitable (every cod after 4) and dropped the good stuff (real servers, 32 players now 12 so it fits on console) and your hopes and dreams are wrecked..

31. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 10:59 nomoreshite

nomoreshite wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 08:16:
I have no skin in this game never played diablo.
but I understand the response, you play a game, love the way it plays, play it for endless hours (cod4), then start wanting something new with the expectation that it will be the same but better.

The maker says they are working on it, and promise it will be better, Give little hints, start the hype...then

It becomes obvious they didn't make it better, they made it more profitable (every cod after 4) and dropped the good stuff (real servers, 32 players now 12 so it fits on console) and your hopes and dreams are wrecked..

Thats why activision/EA/blizzard and the rest can go fuck themselves!!!.

Your scenario assumes that they aren't making Diablo 4. That Diablo Immortal is the only Diablo game they have in production...which isn't true at all. Diablo 4 is in development as well as other Diablo games.

No Idea where you got that idea from, did you bother reading?

What I did forget to say is that defenders of this behaviour and those that buy the crap and keep feeding the bullshit, make the followup games just go further down the shithole..

So rewarding blizzard with showers of gold for giving the gift of Diablo Immortal(that no one wanted!) to fans will lead to shitter games in the future...

Once a company knows its fans will buy whatever shit they push on them because of the good name of the original, it will get worse.

30. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 10:20 Darks

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 08:35:
Blizzard is no longer a major player anymore, and their imagination and creativity have gone bye bye.

Been saying this for years now. Blizz has no interest at all in making PC games. or should I say regular PC games. They are a former shell of themselves.

With the sheer amount of money this company brings in per month, there is no reason that Diablo 4 should be hanging in the wind.

Also, you knew Blizz was in trouble and lost its touch when they cancelled the Titan project a year or two ago.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

29. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 09:08 Desalus

nomoreshite wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 08:16:
I have no skin in this game never played diablo.
but I understand the response, you play a game, love the way it plays, play it for endless hours (cod4), then start wanting something new with the expectation that it will be the same but better.

The maker says they are working on it, and promise it will be better, Give little hints, start the hype...then

Thats why activision/EA/blizzard and the rest can go fuck themselves!!!.

Your scenario assumes that they aren't making Diablo 4. That Diablo Immortal is the only Diablo game they have in production...which isn't true at all. Diablo 4 is in development as well as other Diablo games.

007Bistromath wrote on Nov 6, 2018, 07:38:
This rhetoric is getting beyond tired. When people see some hot garbage, it's normal for them to make fun of it. To characterize this as "aggression" or "entitlement" is just... How are you not deeply embarrassed saying things like this? What makes you actually spend the effort on wiggling your fingers to play Corporate Defender?

The reaction is utterly ridiculous considering Blizzard said that they wouldn't be announcing Diablo 4 and we all know that they will eventually announce and release Diablo 4. We aren't being corporate defenders by saying that people are over-reacting. Just because people didn't get what they want, when they want it (which they will eventually), doesn't mean people need to go into a rage.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2018, 09:20.

28. Hmm Nov 6, 2018, 08:58 Doombringer

I don't know, I'm calling BS on this.

Starcraft 2 has been out forever and there's no SC 3 announcement. Really, there doesn't "have" to be, as SC 2 still a fine game that can be expanded upon. So is Diablo 3.

Diablo 4 would be like Blizzard announcing a World of Warcraft 2, or an Overwatch 2. It's not supremely necessary to increment the "counter" by one right now. I could be very, very wrong, but Blizz in recent years hasn't been one to throw out sequels for the sake of it.

I do believe that Diablo has been in development turmoil however. Apparently it's enough to have some higher-up think a quick cash grab of a Mobile title, leveraging NetEase, would be enough to mollify players. It's done the exact opposite.

27. Re: Rumor: Blizzard Pulled a Diablo 4 Announcement Nov 6, 2018, 08:40 Prez

As much as I hate to agree with a shitrag like Kotaku, they are exactly right. Hell even a 7 second splash screen with a Diablo4 logo would have almost completely diffused the situation immediately. Is it just me or has Blizzard forgotten how to business?

Anyway, while I get that the art direction change doesn't sit well with fans of Diablo 2, and the story is kind of pants, I wholeheartedly disagree that Diablo 3 hasn't evolved into a proper Diablo game once it was unfucked. It is full of content, endlessly replayabe, pretty balanced, fun as hell, and feels like a Diablo game. Is it as good as Diablo 2? No, but it still is a great game in my opinion. All I need for it now is for Blizzard to patch in an offline mode once a new Diablo becomes the new hotness.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo