Diablo Mobile Backlash

Most BlizzCon announcements are met with enthusiasm from the gathering of Blizzard fans, but the company really stepped in it with yesterday's announcement of Diablo: Immortal, a new installment in the action/RPG series being created for mobile devices. The response on the Diablo Reddit raking Blizzard over the coals suggests there may have been a better way to handle this, as they made the mistake of hyping this announcement which raised hopes for a proper PC game. As an example of the discontent this is causing, one can look at the Diablo Immortal Cinematic Trailer on YouTube. Blizzard's cinematics usually generate incredibly positive responses, but as of this writing, the clip has 7.7k upvotes and 232k downvotes.
View : : :
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash
Nov 4, 2018, 00:38
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 4, 2018, 00:38
Nov 4, 2018, 00:38

Desalus wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 22:28:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 21:06:
Yeah, good find. Pretty much spot on.

As to all the bullshit articles claiming we are all entitled. Yeah, dude. You are a BUSINESS. You give us what we want, or you go broke trying to shovel shit at us that we don't want. Clearly, by the massive backlash, this is NOT what Diablo fans want. I mean, who the hell came into a meeting and thought a mobile Diablo game was something Blizzard fans would eat up? They should have fired that person on the spot.

Oh my god, like, we should totally do a mobile game for Diablo, they are SOOOOOO hot right now.
You're fired, Liz! Clean your shit out of your desk and get out!

Why are you assuming this is a zero sum game? Because Blizzard is making Diablo Immortal does not mean we will never see Diablo 4 (undoubtedly it's in development). It probably doesn't even mean Diablo 4 will be delayed because NetEase is most likely doing the vast majority of development. Besides, like you said, they are a business. They see the massive mobile market in Asia and they see a good business opportunity. Can't fault a business for wanting to make money.

Jivaro wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 20:07:
lol...give me a break.

I concur.

well, cause we are well aware of the b.s game devs give gamers these days.. Hence the anger during the Q&A.

Nov 4, 2018, 00:35
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 4, 2018, 00:35
Nov 4, 2018, 00:35

lol...give me a break.

Company tries to use one it's most popular franchises to expand to a larger audience...a necessity for any company worth it's salt...and you all act like they sat up long nights trying to find a great way to stab their long time fans in the back.

They also said that even after Diablo Switch and D:I they still have MULTIPLE Diablo projects in development. It's amazing how some of you cherry pick info.

Look, I get it, a great many of you hated D3..I know I did at launch. I am pretty sure they learned something from that because here we are 6 years later and the game is basically transformed. If you don't like it now you probably weren't ever going to AND THAT IS OK.

By the way...Blizzard was always in the business of making money. Don't try this revisionist history shit and somehow say that is new or the "old Blizzard is dead". Your rose colored memory goggles are showing.

Most of you singing the praises of D1 or D2 were in your teens or 20s when they came out (I admit, I am guessing but it feels like a safe bet)...basically kids. Now you are grown ass adults whining because SURPRISE the company that made your childhood game is making it for some other generation's childhood.

Seriously. C'mon folks. I get it, Activision has obviously not been the influence on Blizzard that any of us would have wanted but did you really think Blizzard wouldn't bring mobile platforms into the mix. Sorry if this is going to be a shock for you but it's probably a safe bet that every single one of their franchises will have a mobile "version" or some companion app (maybe both) shortly. Bethesda, EA....they are all doing it. Everyone has a mobile phone, they would be stupid not to.

argument only works if they spend their profits on new projects . That was probably the case 2 decades ago. These days, it is all about milking the consumer base while doing the minimum .

Nov 4, 2018, 00:34
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 4, 2018, 00:34
Nov 4, 2018, 00:34

Desalus wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 13:51:
If you don't like it then don't play it. Simple as that. Not sure why fans feel entitled to a fully fledged Diablo sequel. It's only been 6+ years since Diablo 3 released. Considering it's Blizzard fans should expect to wait at least 10+ years for a sequel.

no one said the majority stockholders wanting more and more profits every year, with less and less released, is being entitled.

gamers thinking that Blizzard , after earning multiples of the production budget of Diablo 3 , and also making millions in profit every quarter should spend some the profit into making new games is however considered entitled?

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Nov 4, 2018, 00:15
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2018, 00:15
Nov 4, 2018, 00:15

I mean, it's not like people wouldn't buy cosmetics/transmogs, pets, or whatever for Diablo 4. They just can't be egregious with it. No loot boxes, no boosts of any kind etc.

Heroes of the Storm handles it all quite well, and they've even been pretty good about giving things away for free.

Nov 3, 2018, 23:33
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2018, 23:33
Nov 3, 2018, 23:33

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 20:05:
Blackhawk wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 19:44:
Blizzard did exactly this same thing once before, in 2002 with Starcraft: Ghost. They teased a big announcement was coming for Starcraft. They hyped it. They then did this big website tease that had everyone on the edge of their seats.

When it turned out the be a console exclusive action game, people went ape. They were genuinely pissed off.

You build hype, but you don't give the wrong message, or it will backfire.

Makes you wonder though why they don't do what EVERYONE wants, heck a Diablo 4, Warcraft 4 or Starcraft would have been neat, but replaying the same game from 10 years ago in 4k not so much and playing Diablo on a tablet isn't my idea of fun, I get headache from staring at these (comparative) tiny screens.

My friend and I were talking about this today and we both think that it boils down to one simple word: monetization.

His thinking was that Diablo 3 doesn't make Blizzard money now and that they are in fact, losing money by keeping the D3 servers going after all this time even though sales have waned. When you buy Diablo 3x, Blizzard gets the initial sales but now that the Auction House is gone, they don't have a way to milk players going forward.

Keep in mind that Blizzard even found a way to monetize Starcraft 2 by adding that co-op mode and selling "Heroes" just for that mode and other cosmetics. Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and Hearthstone have lootboxes-type of mechanics and WoW has a subscription fee, expansions AND micro-transactions (mounts etc.) and all of those games have constant and hefty updates. Diablo 3 has... Seasons. The last big update that Diablo 3 had was when the pay-for Necromancer came out and that had very little content aside from that one class. If Blizzard ever made a Diablo 4 or a Warcraft 4, I would think that they'd make it online-only and add in a ton of micro-transactions or lootboxes to the base game.

And then here comes Diablo Immortal. "Hey remember that money-sink Diablo franchise? Guess what guys? We know of a Chinese Studio that can reskin thair failed mobile game with our Diablo crap, make it mobile-only and add a shitload of micro-transactions! Hurry, someone give me a promotion for this genius idea!"

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2018, 23:48.

Nov 3, 2018, 22:35
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 22:35
Nov 3, 2018, 22:35

Don't really give a shit to be honest.

We have killed the prime evil, Diablo himself, a millions times over, we have killed all of the fucking archdemons, FFS we have even killed billions of frickin' COWS!!

Diablo is done. What would a Diablo 4 be on PC other than yet another casual clickfest loot grinder just as the previous entries?

Blizztard is not a creative studio. Just about the only real gameplay difference between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 (aside from the retarded RMAH which got scrapped luckily) is the occasionally destrucible environments which added nearly nothing of substance to the game.

News of a PC Diablo 4 would be super yawn-worthy since it is extremely unlikely that Blizztard would really be able or willing to shake up the same ol' formula in any meaningful way.

Nov 3, 2018, 22:28
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 22:28
Nov 3, 2018, 22:28

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 21:06:

As to all the bullshit articles claiming we are all entitled. Yeah, dude. You are a BUSINESS. You give us what we want, or you go broke trying to shovel shit at us that we don't want. Clearly, by the massive backlash, this is NOT what Diablo fans want. I mean, who the hell came into a meeting and thought a mobile Diablo game was something Blizzard fans would eat up? They should have fired that person on the spot.

Oh my god, like, we should totally do a mobile game for Diablo, they are SOOOOOO hot right now.

Why are you assuming this is a zero sum game? Because Blizzard is making Diablo Immortal does not mean we will never see Diablo 4 (undoubtedly it's in development). It probably doesn't even mean Diablo 4 will be delayed because NetEase is most likely doing the vast majority of development. Besides, like you said, they are a business. They see the massive mobile market in Asia and they see a good business opportunity. Can't fault a business for wanting to make money.

lol...give me a break.

I concur.

Nov 3, 2018, 21:41
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 21:41
Nov 3, 2018, 21:41

This would have been fine as a companion release to a full PC game (a la Fallout Shelter) or announced outside of Blizzcon, but this shouldn't have been considered a big announcement.

Nov 3, 2018, 21:21
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 21:21
Nov 3, 2018, 21:21

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 19:25:
Saw this today, it explains how this all happens to big companies. It's inevitable, worth the watch if you haven't seen it. Explains a lot of why we bitch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AxZofbMGpM
http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-10-28
It doesn't help when managers get thrown into the mix. But sales and marketing are definitely the worst.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Nov 3, 2018, 21:06
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 21:06
Nov 3, 2018, 21:06

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 13:20:
They are trying to grab some of that mobile cash cow. The Blizzard everyone loved died a long time ago, this is just a corporate copycat.

Saw this today, it explains how this all happens to big companies. It's inevitable, worth the watch if you haven't seen it. Explains a lot of why we bitch:

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2018, 21:18.

Nov 3, 2018, 21:02
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 21:02
Nov 3, 2018, 21:02

You gotta laugh at Steve Jobs talking about helping customers. Apple has never been interested in helping their customers except to help them purchase Apple products. They have always had colossally bad customer service. Also amusing he would bad mouth sales people when that's what he was initially at Apple. Woz was the tech guy, Jobs was sales.

This reminds me, I need to get around to watching the two Jobs movies I have sitting on my DVR.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2018, 21:13.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 3, 2018, 20:41
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2018, 20:41
Nov 3, 2018, 20:41
JTW

There's nothing wrong with them announcing a mobile game. The problem is that they hyped a mobile game in such a way as to build expectations for their core fan base - who expected something completely different.

Nov 3, 2018, 20:18
Jivaro

Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 20:18
Nov 3, 2018, 20:18
 Jivaro

I get that, I am not excited either. All that tells me though is that I am not the target audience. Something tells me that I will still be picking up d4 whenever it comes out and my backlog will keep me plenty entertained until then.

Reality check...how many of you are actually moping around the house like "OMG, I have soooo much time and soooo little games to pick from...won't Blizzard fucking make D4 already?"

I feel pretty good saying not one of you.

Nov 3, 2018, 20:10
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 20:10
Nov 3, 2018, 20:10

lol...give me a break.

Company tries to use one it's most popular franchises to expand to a larger audience...a necessity for any company worth it's salt...and you all act like they sat up long nights trying to find a great way to stab their long time fans in the back.

They also said that even after Diablo Switch and D:I they still have MULTIPLE Diablo projects in development. It's amazing how some of you cherry pick info.

Look, I get it, a great many of you hated D3..I know I did at launch. I am pretty sure they learned something from that because here we are 6 years later and the game is basically transformed. If you don't like it now you probably weren't ever going to AND THAT IS OK.

By the way...Blizzard was always in the business of making money. Don't try this revisionist history shit and somehow say that is new or the "old Blizzard is dead". Your rose colored memory goggles are showing.

Most of you singing the praises of D1 or D2 were in your teens or 20s when they came out (I admit, I am guessing but it feels like a safe bet)...basically kids. Now you are grown ass adults whining because SURPRISE the company that made your childhood game is making it for some other generation's childhood.

Seriously. C'mon folks. I get it, Activision has obviously not been the influence on Blizzard that any of us would have wanted but did you really think Blizzard wouldn't bring mobile platforms into the mix. Sorry if this is going to be a shock for you but it's probably a safe bet that every single one of their franchises will have a mobile "version" or some companion app (maybe both) shortly. Bethesda, EA....they are all doing it. Everyone has a mobile phone, they would be stupid not to.

Diablo 3 came out almost 7 years ago. I had fun with it after they got rid of the "fuck those losers" crew and ditched the real money auction house, but JFC it's time to move on. And announcing big diablo news only to find out it's *another* port of a 7 year old game is limp.

Nov 3, 2018, 20:07
Jivaro

Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 20:07
 Jivaro

lol...give me a break.

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 13:20:
They are trying to grab some of that mobile cash cow. The Blizzard everyone loved died a long time ago, this is just a corporate copycat.

The great part about this is that you can see it happening in realtime to Apple right now. These days the press goes apeshit over a new iphone having a really fast processor in it and a moderately better camera, whereas for years apple at least innovated in the smartphone sphere. If apple pushed out iterations back in the iphone 2-iphone 4 days like they push out now they wouldn't be where they are now.

And let's not get started on the shitshow that is the macbook.

Let's face it, Blizzard is no more, it has been taken over by the Activision accountants.

There is no drive anymore to make good games, only games that briefly bring in money.

People that play mobile games are stooping to mediocrity.

Nov 3, 2018, 20:05
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2018, 20:05
Nov 3, 2018, 20:05

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 19:44:
Blizzard did exactly this same thing once before, in 2002 with Starcraft: Ghost. They teased a big announcement was coming for Starcraft. They hyped it. They then did this big website tease that had everyone on the edge of their seats.

When it turned out the be a console exclusive action game, people went ape. They were genuinely pissed off.

Makes you wonder though why they don't do what EVERYONE wants, heck a Diablo 4, Warcraft 4 or Starcraft would have been neat, but replaying the same game from 10 years ago in 4k not so much and playing Diablo on a tablet isn't my idea of fun, I get headache from staring at these (comparative) tiny screens.

Nov 3, 2018, 19:44
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2018, 19:44
Nov 3, 2018, 19:44
JTW

Nov 3, 2018, 19:33
Re: Diablo Mobile Backlash Nov 3, 2018, 19:33
Nov 3, 2018, 19:33

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 19:22:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 17:24:
Did the Blizzard guys need to call for security so they could exit the stage safely?

The disconnect from their fans and what they want is double facepalm Picard worthy.

The company that made Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 does not exist anymore so this surprised only people who don't understand what kind of shitty publisher Activision really is.

This. D3 doesn't hold a candle to the awesomness that D2 and D2:LOD was. Blizzard lost the magic touch a long time ago.
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older