Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warcraft III: Reforged Announced

Today at BlizzCon, Blizzard revealed Warcraft III: Reforged, described as a "complete reimagining" of their real-time strategy sequel. This video offers some gameplay in 4K resolution, and this trailer celebrates the news with one of Blizzard's signature cinematics. That clip includes this concise description: "Warcraft III: Reforged is a stunning reimagining of the revolutionary real-time strategy game that laid the foundation for Azeroth’s most epic stories. Veterans and newcomers alike will experience these pivotal events in Azeroth’s history like never before." They are already accepting preorders on this page, where they indicate this will be released sometime next year. Here's word:

Warcraft III: Reforged is a stunning reimagining of the revolutionary real-time strategy game that laid the foundation for Azeroth’s most epic stories. It is a remake in the truest sense, featuring a thorough visual overhaul, a suite of contemporary social and matchmaking features, and more. Command the Night Elves, Undead, Orcs, and Humans as alliances shift and armies clash in this timeless real-time strategy game.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 9, 2018, 12:02 Xero

MindStalker3 wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 10:29:
Slick wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 20:34:
Oh, and FUCK HEROES in the WC3 main game, I hated them. I'm a macro kinda guy, I hated having to micro some dumb oaf, they were always just a liability to me.

Yeah, this is why I wish they would revamp WC2 more than WC3. I just don't understand the need for Heros.

You clearly didn't get WC3 if you didn't understand the need for heroes. That would be called either WC1, WC2, SC1, or SC2. WC3 is different from all of these because of the heroes and made for more tight nit battles. Every unit was important and you didn't want to let any die including a peasantly Footmen soldier. This is opposite to a game like Starcraft where you send mass waves of expendable units to their doom because you can mass reproduce them quickly. That is what makes them different.

Warcraft 3 an entire battle could be turned around by the hero units when properly managed. This made the battles a lot more intense and required more management on how well you "danced" around your heroes and kept the units alive that supported the hero units. It was highly addictive once you mastered it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 4, 2018, 12:08 TheEmissary

I am not a fan of the retcon they are doing to the reforged edition so they can fix story problems with World of Warcraft. I don't really like the idea of tampering with the plot or modifying the story like Lucas did with the StarWars Films.

An example of what I am talking about is the "Culling of Strathholm" mission. They talked about changing the layout and character of that mission to fit with MMO's depiction of the events.

23. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 4, 2018, 03:33 Bishi

Disappointing. Just another cash grab from Blizzard. Where the hell are Warcraft 4 and WoW 2?  

22. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 3, 2018, 10:38 z3razerviper

The pc gamer article says it includes frozen throne.  

21. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 3, 2018, 10:29 MindStalker3

Oh, and FUCK HEROES in the WC3 main game, I hated them. I'm a macro kinda guy, I hated having to micro some dumb oaf, they were always just a liability to me.

Yeah, this is why I wish they would revamp WC2 more than WC3. I just don't understand the need for Heros.

20. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 3, 2018, 01:59 Ventura

Slick wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 21:49:
So which mod did you work on? Maybe I played it ^_^

It was called VQuest, an Everquest conversion. Even had its own website at one point, forums too (more like a ghost town). Went through a few iterations but boy did I have fun with that one. Because their world editor was so good, near everything could be done through their trigger interface without having to know how to code anything.

Damn, good ole days.

19. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 3, 2018, 01:06 Task

They were hinting at this for a while. The Original Starcraft was getting lots of updates right before the remaster arrived, they were doing the same with this. Looks good.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

18. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 23:05 Kxmode

Looking forward to seeing the updated cinematics! I do hope Blizz reforges The Frozen Throne expansion. I think that's the one that is most important in Warcraft 3 because of how many fans like Arthas/Lich King.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 23:02 Slick

SESNut wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 22:22:
that's because they fucked up the custom map system in their quest to try and sell you maps
sc2 multiplayer is free now too

"Until the day the sky rained fire" game me goosebumps! I haven't seen that cinematic in a dozen years, but I still remember every bit of it.

VERY stoked for this, mostly to reignite the flame of the custom map modding community. LOTS of great custom maps and new genres got their start in WC3. I bet lots of the old modders will return.

Unfortunately the SC2 "arcade" custom maps scene is floundering pretty hard right now, I mean that game as a whole isn't doing terribly hot, but I always figured the custom maps would live forever, as they're so much more fun than the base game.

Lol no. They didn't try to sell me maps. They tried to give talented modders a platform to earn some revenue for all their work. It was meant to incentivize talent to stay on this platform, instead of pulling an IceFrog and fucking off to Valve with DOTA.

I liked that idea.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

16. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 22:22 SESNut

that's because they fucked up the custom map system in their quest to try and sell you maps
sc2 multiplayer is free now too

"Until the day the sky rained fire" game me goosebumps! I haven't seen that cinematic in a dozen years, but I still remember every bit of it.

VERY stoked for this, mostly to reignite the flame of the custom map modding community. LOTS of great custom maps and new genres got their start in WC3. I bet lots of the old modders will return.

Unfortunately the SC2 "arcade" custom maps scene is floundering pretty hard right now, I mean that game as a whole isn't doing terribly hot, but I always figured the custom maps would live forever, as they're so much more fun than the base game.

15. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 22:00 Creston

It's funny, I started watching the video and went "? This is exactly the same game."

Until they showed the differences.

Eh, knowing Blizzard this'll be stupid expensive, so whatever.

14. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 21:49 Slick

Ventura wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 20:50:
Upgraded world editor, awesome. I put a lot of work into a mod back in the day, would love to be able to do that some more.

Will probably be bringing it in line with the SC2 editor, where you can do pretty much anything you can imagine. I'm sure they could push it further, but I honestly can't think of how, you have control over everything.

So which mod did you work on? Maybe I played it ^_^

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

13. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 21:46 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 20:46:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 20:02:
mellis wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 19:25:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 19:18:
Hrm, no Night Elves in that footage, but I assume they just weren't ready yet for this video.

War3 is easily one of my favorite RTS games, all time. Well played, Blizzard, attacking my generation's nostalgia yet again.

$29.99 though... I don't know, I can still play the original War3... I'll have to think about it. Definitely at a sale price though.

Total Annihilation was (and still is) better. The single player campaign was pretty awful though, except Core Contingency which was pretty good.

Total Annihilation is indeed awesome, but in terms of multiplayer balance, it was a bit of a shit show. Talk about a game with some overpowered units, wow. Fun for sure, but not balanced. One of the most engrossing skirmish games ever though, at least in my opinion. I spent hundreds of hours on building massive bases, and the end game gun emplacements were so fun in that game.
Same. Now I'm a SupCom addict.

OMG, someone should arrange a Blues SupCom game night. Fuck me that game is still amazing. And my CPU can probably run it now! I think the PC Gamer offices used to have a weekly SupCom night, they'd post their replays... I miss.

12. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:50 Ventura

Upgraded world editor, awesome. I put a lot of work into a mod back in the day, would love to be able to do that some more.  

11. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:46 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 20:02:
Hrm, no Night Elves in that footage, but I assume they just weren't ready yet for this video.

War3 is easily one of my favorite RTS games, all time. Well played, Blizzard, attacking my generation's nostalgia yet again.

$29.99 though... I don't know, I can still play the original War3... I'll have to think about it. Definitely at a sale price though.

Total Annihilation was (and still is) better. The single player campaign was pretty awful though, except Core Contingency which was pretty good.

Total Annihilation is indeed awesome, but in terms of multiplayer balance, it was a bit of a shit show. Talk about a game with some overpowered units, wow. Fun for sure, but not balanced. One of the most engrossing skirmish games ever though, at least in my opinion. I spent hundreds of hours on building massive bases, and the end game gun emplacements were so fun in that game.
Same. Now I'm a SupCom addict.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

10. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:44 jdreyer

"complete reimagining"

Battle Royale mode confirmed.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

9. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:40 heroin

Seems pretty cool, I still want War 4 but maybe this will be just as good considering recent Blizz games...  

8. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:39 Slick

Slashman wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 20:00:
*SIGH* I get relive how they fucked over Arthas in the biggest way to make him the Lich King.

Was worth it just for the final credits scene in TFT... ROCK ON ARTHAS! ^_^

Also... SPOILER ALERT!

7. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:34 Slick

6. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Announced Nov 2, 2018, 20:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo