Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations

A post from Blizzard sheds some light on how the World of Warcraft Classic demo will work when it launches later today (thanks VG247). Even though this will only be available to attendees of BlizzCon and those who have purchased a virtual ticket to the show, they are instituting playtime restrictions and cooldowns to ensure everyone at home gets a chance to experience state-of-the-art (for 2004) MMORPG gameplay. Here's word:

When the World of Warcraft: Classic demo becomes available to play at home on Friday, November 2, we will ensure maximum availability to players at home by initially establishing session limits.

When the demo goes live, we値l use a playtime time limit and a cooldown (that starts when you first log in) to help as many people as possible play the Classic demo as much as possible. We値l start with a playtime limit of a cumulative 60 minutes and a cooldown of 90 minutes. Here are some examples of how that might work:

• If you play for 30 minutes and then log off for 60 minutes, when you come back you値l have a fresh 60 minutes.
  • If you play for 60 minutes, you値l be disconnected and then have to wait 30 minutes before you can play again.
  • If you play for 20 minutes, log off for 20 minutes, then play 40 more minutes, you値l be logged off and wait 10 more minutes.

Our goal is to lift session limits as quickly as we feasibly can after the demo goes live. We will then only reinstate session limits if unexpectedly high demand returns.

We will update this post with further information on this, as necessary.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 4, 2018, 01:20 Kxmode

Quinn wrote on Nov 3, 2018, 14:35:
They got the classic part all wrong and they'll feel that soon. Nobody is asking for the old content. Some might think they do, but most don't. What should be classic are the social systems, like the LFG system and guild system -- but also the talent system! Oh, and remove cross-realm!

Put the classic, vanilla social system in the current WoW with all its expansions and people will eat it up.

That's not Classic. That's pristine. An ideal floated by J. Allen Brack in response to the true vanilla experience, and was subsequently booed by most vanilla/classic fans. The Classic demo is, from what I experienced, a real vanilla non-pristine experience. On the Horde side of the demo, Barrens Chat was back! Chuck Norris and Mankrik's wife jokes plus a ton of other silliness. Good times. Towards the end of Blizzcon, they removed the 1-hour debuff so people can play for hours. Unfortunately, the level 19 cap and Barens and Westfall zones are all the demo will reveal for now.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2018, 03:24.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 3, 2018, 14:35 Quinn

They got the classic part all wrong and they'll feel that soon. Nobody is asking for the old content. Some might think they do, but most don't. What should be classic are the social systems, like the LFG system and guild system -- but also the talent system! Oh, and remove cross-realm!

Put the classic, vanilla social system in the current WoW with all its expansions and people will eat it up.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

36. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 3, 2018, 01:14 Kxmode

Really not liking the 1-hour debuff. I'm not going to ding the score I gave for that but it definitely isn't helping make the experience fun.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 22:58 Kxmode

So the hour impression of the Classic demo I have thus far is it feels like vanilla in the way I remember and the way it was on Nostalrius Begins. There are graphical enhancements. For example, ultra settings bring in greater distance, crisper environments, thick foliage that's reactive when your character runs through it. My only disappointment thus far is the engine version isn't 1.12.1 (it's 1.13.0. I think that's actually cool! It's been 1.12.1 forever). This change may break vanilla addons. However, it may bring those authors out to update them. Also, Baren's Chat feels authentic! It may be legit ignorance from genuinely lost players alongside people roleplaying ignorance, Mankrik and Chuck Norris jokes. Anyhow, first play impression score is a solid 9/10.  

34. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 22:47 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 22:03:
Slick wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 21:44:
Can't wait to come back to this topic after mobile Diablo is making 300 million a month to watch you guys eat crow.
Well, I never said anything about it failing.

Same here. I was speaking about Blizzard's customer base being heavy PC.

33. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 22:03 Mr. Tact

Slick wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 21:44:
Can't wait to come back to this topic after mobile Diablo is making 300 million a month to watch you guys eat crow.
Well, I never said anything about it failing. You could very well be correct. I mean there are plenty of mobile games which make millions, but I've never played any of them, nor will I play this one. Even if it does make Blizzard billions.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 21:44 Slick

you're kidding me right?

45k dislikes? OH NOOOOOO!!! Did the PC master race get a bee in their collective bonnet? Diablo 3 on PC probably has what, 50,000 concurrent players? Yeah, how dumb is Blizzard for ignoring them for a moment to go after the billion people with smartphones LOLOL.

And come on, just like Diablo works great with a controller, anyone can see that it would be totally playable on a touchscreen. if they could map abilities to gestures, you're basically just holding right-click and moving the mouse around anyways, one finger on shift, the rest on abilities. simple and easy to translate to a mobile expeience. And have any of you played Diablo 3 recently? The graphics are pretty much right around where mobile is today, this is the smart move.

They will make a Billion dollars on this idea, just watch.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

31. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 19:32 Kxmode

30. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 19:11 Kxmode

A new continent is coming between update 8.1.5 and 8.2.5. 8.2.0 will be the "Rise of Azshara" and the new zone is called Nazjatar. Here's a screenshot of the map design. This will be the home base of the Naga. We'll get the battle Azshara herself. Nazjatar is not an underwater zone, but instead a chasm of land surrounded by waterfalls. Looks great!

Azshara's Eternal Palace concept art with raid information showing Queen Azshara model, and also the Naga Hatchery so you can see baby Naga.

Also, 8.2 will feature a new, I believe, raid zone/mega-dungeon called Mechagon. It is the ancient lost city of the Gnomes. New race called the Mechagnomes.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2018, 19:39.

29. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2018, 18:58 peteham

Kxmode wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 18:41:
Scheherazade wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 17:30:
I just looked up the cinematic trailer. 1.5k likes. 45k dislikes.

Upvotes: 2.7K
Downvotes: 69K

Colossal failure for a new Blizzard game in an existing IP.
Sadly, they'll still probably rake in the cash with it. Sure, none of us will play it but there are probably tonnes who will. They'll reach an entirely new audience with this, in addition to the people who will play anything they put out regardless.

Can't help but be disappointed though. Even knowing it was probably coming. At least they could have waited or announced it along side a real Diablo title or something. Instead, this was the meme becoming reality. The schadenfreude I get from watching the almost completely silent audience (and apparently booing during panels?) doesn't quite compensate. But it must have been interesting to be the guy that had to announce it. And this was with the most forgiving audience it was possible to have, at a fan convention...

28. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 18:51 Kxmode

Two new races being added to the upcoming 8.1.5 update. Zadalari Trolls and Kul Tiran Humans. One of the playable classes for Zadalari Trolls is Paladin. A Trollish Paladin?! OMG. Aren't all Paladins trolls to begin with?  

27. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 18:41 Kxmode

Scheherazade wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 17:30:

Upvotes: 2.7K
Downvotes: 69K

Colossal failure for a new Blizzard game in an existing IP.

26. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 18:11 Kxmode

The voice panel was excellent! My favorite was Alex Desert who voices Bwonsamdi (he replaces the spirit healer on Zandalar) and Abubakar Salim who voices Rokhan (he also voiced Bayek in Assassin's Creed Origins). Both these guys killed it! Alex Desert was 115% into it. His blending of several lines with the sinister line towards the audience"... for a price" was RAD! The icing on the cake was a live performance by Laura Bailey (who voices Jaina Proudmore) for the Warbringers: Jaina Trailer! I legit didn't know she sings the music! Almost dropped on the floor for how good it was. If it appears on Youtube, I highly recommend watching!  

25. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 17:44 Wallshadows

Don't forget the guy who asked if this was an out of season april fool's joke. The co-host, the dude with the 90s hair, looks like he mentally broke during the panel too. The face he makes on the video at 36 seconds in after the audience boos when told it's mobile only really says it all.

Blizzard is also actively deleting negative feedback on the launch trailer.

No wonder Mikey left.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2018, 17:58.

24. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 17:40 Mr. Tact

Mobile only? WTF? Idiots.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 17:30 Scheherazade

Kxmode wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 16:48:
While watching the Diablo panel about their announced product Diablo Immortal, an audience member asked if the game would release on PC. The audience response to "This is only available on IOS and Android" was audible boos. Next question from another audience member was if the game's higher difficulty tiers will be available. The devs replies "This will be a true Diablo experience." That's where he's wrong. A Diablo experience released for mobile devices only isn't a true Diablo experience. The vast majority of Blizzard's customers are PC. Whoever decided to put their next flagship Diablo product on mobile devices is an idiot. I'm repeating the question of who is this game for in my mind. Mobile gamers are general casual. They don't sit down and play serious mobile games for hours (maybe they do I don't know). They play Candy Crush and similar titles in-between destinations. If Blizzard hopes to attract their PC customers, apparently they have not heard the motto "PC Master Race." At the very least, some of us are willing to play games on a PS4 or an Xbox One (have a PS4 PRO and highly recommend it if you have a 4K display). A mobile game? NOPE!

Anyhow, burning time waiting for the Classic WOW demo to arrive!

I did a double take IRL.
New territory for Blizzard.

-scheherazade

22. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 16:59 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 16:48:
Mobile gamers are general casual.

Perfect fit then since, Candy Crush aside, Diablo is one of the most casual franchises I can think of. Any trained monkey can easily finish Diablo 3 + RoS on normal difficulty. It's casual (garbage) to the bone.

21. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 16:48 Kxmode

While watching the Diablo panel about their announced product Diablo Immortal, an audience member asked if the game would release on PC. The audience response to "This is only available on IOS and Android" was audible boos. Next question from another audience member was if the game's higher difficulty tiers will be available. The devs replies "This will be a true Diablo experience." That's where he's wrong. A Diablo experience released for mobile devices only isn't a true Diablo experience. The vast majority of Blizzard's customers are PC. Whoever decided to put their next flagship Diablo product on mobile devices is an idiot. I'm repeating the question of who is this game for in my mind. Mobile gamers are general casual. They don't sit down and play serious mobile games for hours (maybe they do I don't know). They play Candy Crush and similar titles in-between destinations. If Blizzard hopes to attract their PC customers, apparently they have not heard the motto "PC Master Race." At the very least, some of us are willing to play games on a PS4 or an Xbox One (have a PS4 PRO and highly recommend it if you have a 4K display). A mobile game? NOPE!

Anyhow, burning time waiting for the Classic WOW demo to arrive!

20. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 16:20 .Drifter

What I love is going on youtube and looking up videos of people who love "classic wow" and to prove how much better it is, they post videos of the old version of the world, giving you a guided tour using their "vanilla" level 255 Human Warrior/Druid hybrid with a mount from Mists running at 300% ground speed, while wearing armor and weapons from 3 different expansions, and having "vanilla" skill trees that technically never existed, even if the skills on them did.
Yeah. Vanilla.

19. Re: World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations Nov 2, 2018, 16:10 CJ_Parker

Drayth wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 10:02:
So they're circumventing the original launch day month experience.. and they call this CLASSIC??!

Yeah, they can shove this up their dumb asses if there are no hour long queues!!!!

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo