Op Ed

PC Invasion: Depth Of Extinction Scandal: Are Gamers Too Vindictive And Outraged?
"From a simple conclusion with Dorkoski stating: 'I did not like what happened but apology accepted; no worries, all good,' we suddenly have random users chiming in three weeks later to say: 'I’m doing this for a cause! I’m doing this to increase accountability for the benefit of the gaming community!' It’s strange and fascinating to behold."

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Oct 28, 2018, 14:37
Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 14:37
Oct 28, 2018, 14:37

Numinar wrote on Oct 28, 2018, 01:45:
Giving a grand to trump is whatever, it's the funding of a commercial trolling operation founded by former R/The_Donald moderators, a forum famous for white supremacy and being full of assholes. If PL has those sympathies then he can get fucked to.

I think the commercial trolling operation bought one fairly tame political billboard, and a website with video from the GOP national convention. As far as I can tell it wasn't 24/7 sending out materials being debunked on Snopes. Looking into the backgrounds of people he donated money to seems unnecessary; if the guy is unconscionably racist, then he probably said or done something vile and it's on the Internet. But if the GOP convention is enough to set people off then I think there's a problem. Namely, that vindictiveness doesn't win elections. Treating people who are probably center-right as if they were fringe extremists and hounding them out of their jobs looks terrible, and isn't going to swing any votes left.

Oct 28, 2018, 11:43
Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 11:43
Oct 28, 2018, 11:43

People have not changed. Technology and subsequently society have. Today everyone has a soapbox to stand on, one that is conveniently anonymous (or not, if you like) in the form of the internet and your "soapbox" of choice, whether facebook, twitter, steam forums, or these here boards

This is nothing new, and shouldn't be really surprising to any one of us here.

Oct 28, 2018, 10:21
Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 10:21
Oct 28, 2018, 10:21

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 28, 2018, 09:00:
The reality is gamers have seen their hobby destroyed by the rise of the ignorant masses. We've gone from games fully owned, controlled, with level editors and modding from the 90's, to fully locked down f2p/mmo garbage for mtx money where the game software is now fully controlled by corporations. We live in a fully blown gaming dystopia with the rise of stupid people getting internet.

They got to undermine ownership because the internet allowed them to keep part of the game code on their servers and not give gamers the full game leading to horrible business practices no one could defend against because the internet undermines the very concept of a market - there can be no accountability when you are 100's of miles away from a company. It's a nice fantasy.

Counterpoint: Star Citizen.

It's not just the masses who do the stupid stuff. But yeah, I hear what you're saying. I'm just thankful I grew up in the 90s.

Oct 28, 2018, 09:23
Quboid

Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 09:23
Oct 28, 2018, 09:23
 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 17:35:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 16:57:
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 14:15:
On the whole most people aren't. It's just that tiny minority of special little snowflakes who believe everyone should be able to sail through life without ever putting forth any effort, being put upon, or offended in even the slightest way. Oh boo hoo, life is tough, isn't it?

LOL, didn't you get banned from Steam forums for complaining about a game?

No. I was banned from a particular forum for complaining about their game - and I wasn't alone. Nor is this uncommon on Steam where some devs routinely band people and delete any criticism of their shitty products so they can continue to scam people. I was a paying customer who got ripped off and complained about it. That's an entirely different thing. Don't you dare lump me in with the snowflakes.

Just banned from one place the one time, is that right?

How often have you had comments here deleted because you angrily reacted? How many times have you been called out, only to melt away like a snowflake when the heat is on?

Oct 28, 2018, 09:00
Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 09:00
Oct 28, 2018, 09:00

The reality is gamers have seen their hobby destroyed by the rise of the ignorant masses. We've gone from games fully owned, controlled, with level editors and modding from the 90's, to fully locked down f2p/mmo garbage for mtx money where the game software is now fully controlled by corporations. We live in a fully blown gaming dystopia with the rise of stupid people getting internet.

They got to undermine ownership because the internet allowed them to keep part of the game code on their servers and not give gamers the full game leading to horrible business practices no one could defend against because the internet undermines the very concept of a market - there can be no accountability when you are 100's of miles away from a company. It's a nice fantasy.

Oct 28, 2018, 04:18
El Pit

Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 04:18
Oct 28, 2018, 04:18
 El Pit

https://youtu.be/YZXFdikh-70

Taken from one of the best political satires of the last three decades!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Oct 28, 2018, 01:45
Re: Op Ed Oct 28, 2018, 01:45
Oct 28, 2018, 01:45

Orogogus wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 23:55:
Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 14:45:
On the whole most people aren't. It's just that tiny minority of special little snowflakes who believe everyone should be able to sail through life without ever putting forth any effort, being put upon, or offended in even the slightest way. Oh boo hoo, life is tough, isn't it?

Aren't you routinely offended by every Amazon or Microsoft post here? Oh, I get it, anything that offends you is valid, but everything else...

He's offended by people kneeling during the anthem, and thinks they're traitors. But he's also openly hypocritical on pretty much a biweekly basis, so that's Cutter.

I do agree with the article about the vindictiveness and outrage, though. Like with Palmer Luckey. He chips in $1000 towards the guy who won the election, and gamers and developers just lose their shit until Facebook lets him go. People on VR boards still argue against buying Oculus because Luckey holds stock so if you buy a Rift you're splitting up migrant families.

I think it's deranged, unjust and strategically unsound, giving the impression that liberals really are 18 year olds who can't cope with the reality of differing opinions, throwing temper tantrums before moving on to something equally constructive like Californian secession.

Giving a grand to trump is whatever, it's the funding of a commercial trolling operation founded by former R/The_Donald moderators, a forum famous for white supremacy and being full of assholes. If PL has those sympathies then he can get fucked to.

But his product is decent. You can't boycott shit because the money might go to grade A civilisation burning assholes because that applies to literally every product.

Oct 27, 2018, 23:55
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 23:55
Oct 27, 2018, 23:55

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 14:45:

Aren't you routinely offended by every Amazon or Microsoft post here? Oh, I get it, anything that offends you is valid, but everything else...

He's offended by people kneeling during the anthem, and thinks they're traitors. But he's also openly hypocritical on pretty much a biweekly basis, so that's Cutter.

I do agree with the article about the vindictiveness and outrage, though. Like with Palmer Luckey. He chips in $1000 towards the guy who won the election, and gamers and developers just lose their shit until Facebook lets him go. People on VR boards still argue against buying Oculus because Luckey holds stock so if you buy a Rift you're splitting up migrant families.

I think it's deranged, unjust and strategically unsound, giving the impression that liberals really are 18 year olds who can't cope with the reality of differing opinions, throwing temper tantrums before moving on to something equally constructive like Californian secession.

Oct 27, 2018, 19:57
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 19:57
Oct 27, 2018, 19:57

I don't usually agree with you Cutter but I do here.

Oct 27, 2018, 17:35
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 17:35
Oct 27, 2018, 17:35

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2018, 16:57:

No. I was banned from a particular forum for complaining about their game - and I wasn't alone. Nor is this uncommon on Steam where some devs routinely band people and delete any criticism of their shitty products so they can continue to scam people. I was a paying customer who got ripped off and complained about it. That's an entirely different thing. Don't you dare lump me in with the snowflakes.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Oct 27, 2018, 17:24
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 17:24
Oct 27, 2018, 17:24

The backlash against GOG is totally ridiculous and over the top. Appropriating the slogan "Won't be erased" is NOT a fucking hate crime. If anything it's akin to Pepsi "appropriating" protest imagery to sell soda, which was cheesy, but not an assault on humanity. Not to mention the fact that GOG deleted the tweet about three seconds after it went up. There is a hardcore segment of the online population, left and right, that has been taught to gorge themselves on the feeling of being outraged, and now they're like addicts, constantly searching for their next fix. Facebook and all the rest are the real culprits, since their entire existence is based on creating more addicts like this. Outrage is their most effective method of generating attention.

Oct 27, 2018, 17:11
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 17:11
Oct 27, 2018, 17:11

To be honest I don't see the problem. If you fuck up on steam you have a massive community to offend that even if it doesn't play your game still hawks over everything that's happening because of previous experiences with asset flips who even tried to sue reviewers.

Hard to differentiate simple fuckups and intentional bullshittery with indy devs nowadays.

Still, at the end of it all I think the dev needs a hug. On the other hand, revoking keys over a review is a bannable offense on steam (as dev)

Oct 27, 2018, 16:57
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 16:57
Oct 27, 2018, 16:57

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Oct 27, 2018, 14:45
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 14:45
Oct 27, 2018, 14:45

Oct 27, 2018, 14:27
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 14:27
Oct 27, 2018, 14:27

complainers complaining about complaining, it's really wonderful

Oct 27, 2018, 14:15
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 14:15
Oct 27, 2018, 14:15

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Oct 27, 2018, 13:45
Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 13:45
Oct 27, 2018, 13:45

So, clickbait media generates clicks by hunting for corporate missteps or momentary insensitivity. Then, when they have profited from the manufactured outrage, they wonder if generating anger is healthy. Got it.

Physician, heal thyself...
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older