Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Rift 2 Cancelled?

A post on Facebook from Brendan Iribe announces the departure of one of the Oculus founders from the company. He speaks with pride about what they've accomplished as virtual reality pioneers, and speaks optimistically about the future. A report on TechCrunch says there's more to this, saying his departure was precipitated by a shakeup at Facebook last week that included the cancellation of a next-generation Rift 2 headset. They say Iribe had been heading up development, but that he and Facebook management developed "fundamentally different views on the future of Oculus that grew deeper over time." The development of a Rift sequel or its cancellation are unconfirmed, but their response from Facebook did not deny either, offering assurances that they do plan another headset at some point. "While we canít comment on our product roadmap specifics," they were told. "We do have future plans, and can confirm that we are planning for a future version of Rift."
View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 19:50 Ventura

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 11:45:
Wouldn't an ideal state be a standalone headset that can also be used wireless with a pc be a goal? For lite-weight stuff the standalone has that, for heavy app's have the pc render it and transmit to the standalone like a Rift works now but wireless. Best of both?

That does sound like a win-win but I just don't see them investing serious money into that kind of versatility.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 11:45 HorrorScope

Ventura wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 05:45:
Vazz wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 05:18:
You think they are going to skip doing a pc headset and just release the Go 2?

Actually, yeah, now that you ask. PC VR doesn't have a chance at being profitable compared to mobile VR (as much as I hate to admit it), and money's the bottom line.

Oh but they've said they're still focused on PC VR? What, like they'd come out and admit it if they weren't?

Wouldn't an ideal state be a standalone headset that can also be used wireless with a pc be a goal? For lite-weight stuff the standalone has that, for heavy app's have the pc render it and transmit to the standalone like a Rift works now but wireless. Best of both?

17. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 05:45 Ventura

Vazz wrote on Oct 23, 2018, 05:18:
You think they are going to skip doing a pc headset and just release the Go 2?

Actually, yeah, now that you ask. PC VR doesn't have a chance at being profitable compared to mobile VR (as much as I hate to admit it), and money's the bottom line.

Oh but they've said they're still focused on PC VR? What, like they'd come out and admit it if they weren't?

16. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 05:18 Vazz

Exactly how do you know that? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be true, it's just going to take more than that.

Because I follow vr news and forums closely and they've already said how they are still focused on pc vr. link
It's a clickbait headline plain and simple. Brendan Iribe leaving is true but that's it.
The Rift(2016), Go(2018) and Quest(2019) is their gen 1 lineup. After the Quest is released next year, they of course will start talking about Gen 2 stuff. You think they are going to skip doing a pc headset and just release the Go 2? Of course not.

15. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 04:46 loomy

Vazz wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 21:45:
Oh boy, TechCrunch's clickbait headline is now making it's rounds here huh?
Look, there will be another Rift. Right now Oculus is working on releasing the Oculus Quest(their new standalone headset) next year. After that, we'll start hearing about the next thing they have for pc vr users.

just to be clear for everyone. the report does not say that there will never be something new named "rift". it's saying that oculus was working on a rift 2, and that rift 2 has been cancelled. they can still call whatever they want "rift 2" in the future. the point is that a new rift was imminent and now it's not.

techcrunch is reliable because they verify their sources, and verifying this story would not be hard. thousands of people around the world, most in silicon valley where techcrunch has reporters, would know about this news. it's real. the rift 2 is dead and the guy who was making it quit. oculus is all-in on mobile VR because it might become profitable, and PC VR is delayed indefinitely because it was not profitable. samsung and HTC are our only hope now.

14. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 04:15 nomoreshite

not really a loss, facefuck can shove all it's products where the sun don't shine, screw that spyware shit..

13. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 03:22 Ventura

releasing the Oculus Quest(their new standalone headset) next year. After that, we'll start hearing about the next thing they have for pc vr users.

Exactly how do you know that? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be true, it's just going to take more than that.

I've owned everything from two DK2's to a Vive and a CV1, and am planning on buying a Vive Pro headset for Christmas if funds allow. So yeah, I love VR. I know it's expensive, but I prioritise this stuff (escapism is big for me). I don't make a lot of money but I don't go on holidays and I don't have kids. This is what I do.

The CV1 is every bit as good as the Vive, and to that end I'm gutted Oculus seem to be going the mobile route. Not that I can't understand it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we never do end up seeing a Rift 2 for PC

12. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 03:08 Luke

Look, there will be another Rift. Right now Oculus is working on releasing the Oculus Quest(their new standalone headset) next year. After that, we'll start hearing about the next thing they have for pc vr users.

Yea.....and Santa is right around the corner...wuu wuuuuuu

11. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 23, 2018, 01:23 Squirmer

Acleacius wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 21:03:
Thought this was about Rift mmog, having a sequel.
Well that's probably true too given that all the Trion World devs just got fired.

10. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 22:18 jdreyer

Mixed reality headsets like Samsung Odyssey also run VR Steam apps, so there are still lots of options available besides Vive.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 22:07 jdreyer

Does Quest work with PC at all? I thought it was totally self contained and proprietary.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 21:45 Vazz

7. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 21:36 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 21:03:

Me too!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 21:03 Acleacius

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 20:52 loomy

this is ACTUAL HORRIBLE NEWS for computer gaming, and is EXACTLY what everyone feared when oculus sold out. they will be focusing on mobile because it's clearly the more profitable play, and not investing in the enthusiast tech that got them where they are today. a classic case of cutting off the nose to spite the face for not seeing the forest through the trees made of sausages  

4. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 20:31 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 22, 2018, 20:28:
Had to go check other places, it is said not to be, so now we'll have to wait and see over this period.

Whatever happens and if the Rift is cancelled it doesn't mean VR is dead. But lets say it is, I still have this cool headset that is amazing and there is a lot of software now and that cannot be taken away.

Those that poo poo it and never gave it a fair shake, go ahead and grow old like your parents, it never threatened your amazing today. VR is fresh and if developed would just get better and better and possibly to a level even you could enjoy. There isn't a winner if VR just ends, it just one less offering to experience, it's a loss.

Price point is still insane vs the payoff. My current computer is running most games fine at high resolutions and high details but I'd have to do a hardware refresh to get VR headset friendly hardware going. They released at a time where the PC hardware hadn't caught up to driving the headset. If they released like next year some time where most people building out PCs could get in relatively cheap, then you might have seen some traction.

VR isn't dead, but it's not the hit everyone hoped it'd be.

3. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 20:28 HorrorScope

Had to go check other places, it is said not to be, so now we'll have to wait and see over this period.

Whatever happens and if the Rift is cancelled it doesn't mean VR is dead. But lets say it is, I still have this cool headset that is amazing and there is a lot of software now and that cannot be taken away.

Those that poo poo it and never gave it a fair shake, go ahead and grow old like your parents, it never threatened your amazing today. VR is fresh and if developed would just get better and better and possibly to a level even you could enjoy. There isn't a winner if VR just ends, it just one less offering to experience, it's a loss.

2. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 20:18 Kxmode

"Killer" App  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

1. Re: Rift 2 Cancelled? Oct 22, 2018, 19:54 CJ_Parker

No, no, no guys. VR is REALLY gonna make it BIG this time! Aaaarrrggghh. You fucking stupid haters who don't like new technology!! VR is TEH FJUTSHA!!!111  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >