Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library

A new C64 Software Library on the Internet Archive offers the chance to play tens of thousands of Commodore 64 games via emulation in their latest herculean effort to preserve gaming history (thanks [H]ardOCP. They include a little history lesson on the C64 and its historical success. Here's a bit:

Part of the Commodore 64's success was its sale in regular retail stores instead of only electronics or computer hobbyist specialty stores. Commodore produced many of its parts in-house to control costs, including custom integrated circuit chips from MOS Technology. It has been compared to the Ford Model T automobile for its role in bringing a new technology to middle-class households via creative and affordable mass-production. Approximately 10,000 commercial software titles have been made for the Commodore 64 including development tools, office productivity applications, and video games. C64 emulators allow anyone with a modern computer, or a compatible video game console, to run these programs today. The C64 is also credited with popularizing the computer demoscene and is still used today by some computer hobbyists.

In 2011, 17 years after it was taken off the market, research showed that brand recognition for the model was still at 87%.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 12, 2018, 23:50 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 10:21:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 23:08:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 19:58:
Dude.

Dude!

Dude.

DUDE

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 11, 2018, 17:06 KS

"...and we liked it!" >:-(  

13. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 11, 2018, 11:12 YourNick

The web-based emulator needs some work. Many emulators have a speed up option for loading, but this could at least tell you that it's loading and not locked up. Also when not in focus it should not keep playing the same sound over and over.

Can you download the files from here to play on local emulators, or only play them on the online emulator? Many emulators let you save any game at anytime, there are even some that let you hack games. Can you hook up the joysticks from Atari Flashbacks kits to PCs for use on this emulator?

A GOG or Steam like store could have existed back in those days (download from BBS stores), instead there was rampant piracy.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2018, 17:10.

12. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 11, 2018, 10:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 23:08:
Dude.

Dude!

Dude.

11. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 11, 2018, 08:54 Dev

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 00:05:
Most of the Commodore 64 games I played as a kid are easy to find, but one has eluded me.

It was a first person perspective game with creepy music where a different kind of monster would attack at different parts. I believe you had a gun, and had to shoot it. Have looked through 1000's of game screenshots and still haven't had any luck whatsoever.

Going to give this emulator a shot, there are quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing for nostalgia.
I'd try google for first person commodore 64 games
For instance, this thread. I suggest checking each game in this thred
https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11786&sid=eb34e012dcb043ba4a1c2a8375778a8e

10. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 11, 2018, 00:05 JohnBirshire

Most of the Commodore 64 games I played as a kid are easy to find, but one has eluded me.

It was a first person perspective game with creepy music where a different kind of monster would attack at different parts. I believe you had a gun, and had to shoot it. Have looked through 1000's of game screenshots and still haven't had any luck whatsoever.

Going to give this emulator a shot, there are quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing for nostalgia.

9. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 23:45 HorrorScope

Amazing.  

8. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 23:08 Kxmode

Dude.

Dude!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 22:44 eRe4s3r

Talk about a blast from the past, although the load times make me cringe (of all things to emulate, why that? ;p)  

6. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Oct 10, 2018, 22:17 Caladell

Same. I had a Vic 20, tape drive and all!  

5. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 22:02 rawbelly

The Vic 20 is what started the obsession for me. Still have a 64 in storage. This is amazing!  

4. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 20:37 Xero

Can't tell you how much fun I had with this thing when I received one right before summer break. It was given to me from the father of a kid my mother used to babysit. He was a hardcore gamer on that thing.

I literally received it with tons of games. Both cartridge based that you would stick into the keyboard and floppy disks (the literal ones). Had a blast with that thing.

3. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 20:19 Creston

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! That's amazing.  

2. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 19:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dude.

1. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 10, 2018, 19:47 Rilcon

Sweet.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo