Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 12, 2018, 18:29 Stormsinger

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 18:58:
Stormsinger wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 18:32:
There hasn't been a military action in my lifetime (about 60 years now) that was about the security of anything but the MIC's finances. Trying to claim that it serves a valid defensive purpose is like trying to claim that nukes are a valid demolition tool.
I was in the USAF when the first US/Iraq war started. Even then I thought unless there was something the public didn't know, it was likely unnecessary. While I think the US might have over-reacted to 9/11 (it is debatable, IMHO), I don't really fault anyone for that. That said, the MIC was doing just fine even after decades of idleness. Reagan gave them a nice boost in the 80s. So, to say it was simply about the MIC is oversimplifying.
I've seen no evidence whatsoever that greed will ever say "I'm doing just fine." There are no limits on the aspirations of greed.

I'd be willing to agree that the reaction to 9/11 might have been arguable, except for the fact that we put far more effort into attacking Iraq for fictitious reasons than we put into finding those actually involved.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 12, 2018, 17:26 jdreyer

There hasn't been a military action in my lifetime (about 60 years now) that was about the security of anything but the MIC's finances. Trying to claim that it serves a valid defensive purpose is like trying to claim that nukes are a valid demolition tool.

I'll agree that most military actions since WW2 have been unnecessary. Exceptions are probably Korea, first Gulf War, Afghanistan. I think the largest benefit to having a large conventional force was as a bulwark against Soviet aggression during the cold war. I'm not sure they would have stopped with Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Romania if there hadn't been the weight of US conventional forces in Western Europe, not to mention their value during the Berlin Airlift and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 11, 2018, 18:58 Mr. Tact

I was in the USAF when the first US/Iraq war started. Even then I thought unless there was something the public didn't know, it was likely unnecessary. While I think the US might have over-reacted to 9/11 (it is debatable, IMHO), I don't really fault anyone for that. That said, the MIC was doing just fine even after decades of idleness. Reagan gave them a nice boost in the 80s. So, to say it was simply about the MIC is oversimplifying.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 11, 2018, 18:32 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 15:58:
NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 08:23:
If the US military budget was about security, it would only cover our nuclear stockpile and delivery systems. The rest of our military is for wars of aggression and interventionist bullshit. The big "End the world" button is the only contribution the military makes to security. The rest is handled by the intelligence agencies.

That's like saying, " Our justice system has capital punishment, so we don't need any other kinds of punishment. Other punishments are repression bullshit." I'll agree that in recent decades, the military has been misused, but it serves a valid defensive purpose. If the Russians use irregular greenshirts to try and overthrow the Lithuanian government and annex it, you can't resort to nukes for that situation. Ditto for the 9/11 response in Afghanistan. We can discuss whether they were used properly, but you could only respond to that situation with conventional forces.

10. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 11, 2018, 15:58 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2018, 08:23:
If the US military budget was about security, it would only cover our nuclear stockpile and delivery systems. The rest of our military is for wars of aggression and interventionist bullshit. The big "End the world" button is the only contribution the military makes to security. The rest is handled by the intelligence agencies.

That's like saying, " Our justice system has capital punishment, so we don't need any other kinds of punishment. Other punishments are repression bullshit." I'll agree that in recent decades, the military has been misused, but it serves a valid defensive purpose. If the Russians use irregular greenshirts to try and overthrow the Lithuanian government and annex it, you can't resort to nukes for that situation. Ditto for the 9/11 response in Afghanistan. We can discuss whether they were used properly, but you could only respond to that situation with conventional forces.

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 11, 2018, 08:23 NKD

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

8. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 10, 2018, 19:14 Stormsinger

So...just who is this person who thinks that the military budget has -anything- to do with security? The only reason for that bloated budget is to continue to funnel more money to the plutocrats. Anything outside that goal is nothing but meaningless theater.  

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 17:50 jdreyer

US may have by far the world's biggest military budget but it's not showing in security.

Time to start paying private sector salaries.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 17:47 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:45:
So, they had a bug reporting system which didn't allow the bug reporters to set a severity problem level? Nice. Their level of incompetence on a scale of 1-10 is an 11.

Severity? Pshh.

When I was a young testling, our bugs didn't even have a description or repro steps. That's the way it was, and we liked it!

5. We won't miss early problem reports again Oct 10, 2018, 16:01 Creston

Fuck you, you lying pieces of shit. You're not going to check shit, and you fucking know it.

Btw, folder redirection just absolutely wiping out entire folders worth of data is nothing new. This has been going on at my current job for as long as I've been there. We've had MS in the office to look at it, and got a "shrug, we don't know" as a fucking answer.

Before we make any changes to any folder redirection setting, we know full well to make backups on both ends, because we've had hundreds of bam, either folder or both folders being empty.

God bless you, MS. Your utter, ludicrous incompetence has provided me with a job fixing your shit for 25+ years now.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 11:45 Mr. Tact

So, they had a bug reporting system which didn't allow the bug reporters to set a severity problem level? Nice. Their level of incompetence on a scale of 1-10 is an 11.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 11:18 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 10:32:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 10:21:
They won't miss them, but they sure will ignore them.

Reading that article with a straight face is virtually impossible....
Comments with a Severity Level of 10! for "Candy Crush not crushy enough" will get all the attention.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 10:32 VaranDragon

Pigeon wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 10:21:

Reading that article with a straight face is virtually impossible....

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2018, 10:21 Pigeon

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo