Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Realizing we were already into the season, MrsBlue and I got our flu shots yesterday to better safeguard against the scourge of influenza. Whenever I mention this I see some push-back, but the CDC reports 80,000 people died of the flu last year in the U.S. alone, so I'm comfortable with the disputed possible association of the infinitesimal risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome to safeguard myself and others with a little herd immunity. I strongly urge everyone to do the same.

And speaking of safety, best wishes to those in the Florida area getting set to cope with an ever-more-dangerous Hurricane Michael. Here's hoping you find safe shelter and that the storm will not be as devastating as predicted.

Immune Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: De-Void.
Wholesome Cats.
Stories: Emotional support squirrel gets kicked off airplane. That's nuts.
Starbucks to Kick in for Babysitting While Baristas Serve Coffee. Venti news!
Zookeeper fatally mauled by white tiger at Kagoshima zoo. Will not be put down for being a tiger. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Flu season: 2 NC flu deaths so far, vaccinate by end of October.
Turbulence, the oldest unsolved problem in physics. Dr. Ian Malcolm could help.
Dementia Sometimes Starts In A Hospital's ICU.
Media: Help - Epic NPC Man (when an NPC can't leave his spot).
Fast Travel in Real Life.
FORTNITE - Keep The Elder Alive Challenge (React- Gaming).
The dog goes bark bark bark.
Follow-up: Hubble Space Telescope Malfunction Won't Last Long, NASA Says. Thanks RedEye9.
Federal prison to pull out Weiner early.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 21:26 Mr. Tact

Glad to know the gyroscope problem won't be killing Hubble (yet). The initial reports were vague enough to cause some concern...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 20:50 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 17:57:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 16:27:
Haha, I'd never seen Epic NPC Man before. That's pretty awesome, especially his little crying bit.

This one from them cracks me up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISvFJw9JMlI

Hahaha, that's awesome.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 19:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 18:09:
And even if the complications for flu shots didn't exist it still remain a crap shoot thaat they're picking the right strain. So you're gambling your life for something that may not even work. Have fun with that.

I advise you to read up on vaccines, the flu vaccine in particular. The only one you can actually get in the US at least, is the non-active virus version. If you aren't one of the .001% of people who cannot have vaccines, you are safer getting the flu vaccine than not.

Even in the US, it's paid for by pretty much any insurance, and since you're in Canada(right?) it should be free for humans, moose, grizzlies, etc.

Center for Disease Control

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 19:33 Mr. Tact

Yeah, in the same way you are gambling with your life when you take a shower -- you might slip, fall, and break your neck. Unless your immune system is compromised for some reason, the "risk" of a flu shot is not a valid reason to not get one.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 18:09 Cutter

And even if the complications for flu shots didn'
t exist it still remain a crap shoot thaat they're picking the right strain. So you're gambling your life for something that may not even work. Have fun with that.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 17:57 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 16:27:
Haha, I'd never seen Epic NPC Man before. That's pretty awesome, especially his little crying bit.

This one from them cracks me up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISvFJw9JMlI

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 16:27 Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 15:22 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 13:47:

Annual deaths from GBS: 600+
Annual deaths from the flu: 80,000

Also, this:
Studies suggest that it is more likely that a person will get GBS after getting the flu than after vaccination.

So if you really don't want GBS, don't get the flu. If only there was some way of preventing the flu...

My uncle died from the flu. He was 55.
Don't forget this itty bitty tidbit
Q. What causes Guillain-Barré syndrome?

A. The exact cause of GBS is not known.

Source

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport

Vote like your rights depend on it

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 14:05 DangerDog

Study predicts 2018 flu vaccine will likely have 20 percent efficacy

Seems like every year they announce that the flu vaccine misses the target for the flu virus going around.

I think you would be better off donning the Michael Jackson Halloween costume when you go out in public, face mask, sun glasses and gloves (sequin optional). Picking up a bar of soap and washing your hands when you come back from the outside world and before eating might also be a good thing. Keep your cell phone disinfected and wipe down that keyboard too.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 13:47 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 10:58:
I've had the flu twice in 50 years on this planet. Thanks but I'll risk it. Yes the odds of contracting GBS are small but if you do you'll wish you never took the risk of the shot of catching a virus that most people never catch but once or twice a lifetime anyway. It's all in how you define risk. People die crossing the street everyday too but I don't see them banning cars.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that the vast majority of those flu deaths are the very elderly or very young, most of which have other major health issues. It's not like they're healthy adults dropping dead in the streets.

Annual deaths from GBS: 600+
Annual deaths from the flu: 80,000

Also, this:
Studies suggest that it is more likely that a person will get GBS after getting the flu than after vaccination.

So if you really don't want GBS, don't get the flu. If only there was some way of preventing the flu...

My uncle died from the flu. He was 55.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 13:01 JayDeath

Feds to pull out Weiner early. Ha!  
Steam: BenRichards

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 12:17 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:35:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:22:
I don't get flu shots because I don't want to catch "teh awtizum".
Dudebro, there a 0.00000000000012% chance you already haz it.

The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.

And that's why I walk around outside during heavy storms holding aloft an old school TV antenna. If I get hit by lightning, I might develop superpowers.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 11:35 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:22:
Dudebro, there a 0.00000000000012% chance you already haz it.

The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport

Vote like your rights depend on it

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 11:22 Burrito of Peace

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 11:15 Mr. Tact

I think getting a flu shot is a reasonable and even responsible thing to do. Yeah, there is a "risk", there is a risk to each and every single thing you do. And the risk in this case is much lower than many of the things people do every day.

That said, I can beat Cutter by one, I've had the flu once in 56 years of living. I was required to get the flu shot while I was in the USAF but didn't before nor since. I probably should, especially as I get older and maybe I'll start doing so in the near future. But for now isn't worth the hassle of the insurance interaction to bother...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 Cutter

I've had the flu twice in 50 years on this planet. Thanks but I'll risk it. Yes the odds of contracting GBS are small but if you do you'll wish you never took the risk of the shot of catching a virus that most people never catch but once or twice a lifetime anyway. It's all in how you define risk. People die crossing the street everyday too but I don't see them banning cars.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that the vast majority of those flu deaths are the very elderly or very young, most of which have other major health issues. It's not like they're healthy adults dropping dead in the streets.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 10:54 SirKnight

"Federal prison to pull out Weiner early."

LOL!

I see what you did there Blue!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 10:26 NKD

So I got an invite to this Google Project Stream thing. Basically its cloud gaming or whatever with free AC: Odyssey until January.

The latency is low enough that combat timing isn't an issue. The graphics aren't really maxed out and 30fps(?) lock is really the main downside. I don't see this being a preferred option for any of us who keep our gaming rigs relatively up to date.

But if I had a potato computer, this would be a very tempting option vs. buying a console. Plus hey, technically I'm playing a AAA title in a browser and not having a 100% shitty experience.

Bandwidth usage peaks around 20mbps but it's not steady, there's definitely some clever bandwidth saving measures going on that lower usage when there's not much going on.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 10:20 Killer Kane

Cue the "Anti-Vax Brigade"

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo