Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 Free Weekend

Steam News announces the release of the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack for Windows, Linux, and macOS. To celebrate, XCOM 2 is currently free-to-play on Steam for the weekend. This trailer from last week offers an overview, and here are the details:

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - Tactical Legacy Pack is now available on PC, Mac and Linux. As a gift to the fans, the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen – Tactical Legacy Pack will be available for free to all owners of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen until 12:59pm ET on December 3. If you're having issues downloading the DLC, please restart your Steam client.

This content requires ownership of both the base game XCOM 2, as well as the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen expansion.

Don't own War of the Chosen? Well, now's the time to buy! The expansion to the 2016 award-winning strategy game of the year is now on sale on Steam!

In addition to that, XCOM 2 is currently FREE TO PLAY right now on Steam! Have a friend who has yet to try XCOM 2? Now's the best time to get them in on the experience, with massive discounts extending across the game and all of its DLC.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 11, 2018, 12:10 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 13:40:
Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 13:20:
Oh also: the new tactical missions are mandatory ironman. No save scumming! And apparently you can't re-start the campaign. I tried to after almost getting TPK'd from a series of spectacular misses and got a 5000 point penalty for it.

Hrm... not sure I like that... that sort of thing is pretty much guaranteed to make me rage out, forced Ironman and not even restarting? lol. At least it's a free update, and it's separate from the main campaign, right? I don't have XCOM 2 installed at the moment, due to massive RPG overload.

So in case anyone checks, you *can* reset the progress of the TLP stories. Down on the bottom of the progress pane on the right hand side there is an option. It's way down at the bottom. So there's that.

Still no save scumming though. I'm sure that someone will probably mod that away given time.

Also unloading most of my mods seems to have made the RNJesus happy withe the TLP story missions. I don't know if it's connected or what but I'll take it. Now when I have a 90% to hit I can reasonably expect to hit most of the time. I went from barely surviving the first three missions to pulling a flawless on all of them. Knowing the enemy layout helped but even on mission 3 I didn't know where half the enemies were but still managed to pull off a flawless because my to hit % was actually reasonably accurate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 10, 2018, 15:17 peteham

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 13:40:
Oh also: the new tactical missions are mandatory ironman. No save scumming! And apparently you can't re-start the campaign. I tried to after almost getting TPK'd from a series of spectacular misses and got a 5000 point penalty for it.

Hrm... not sure I like that... that sort of thing is pretty much guaranteed to make me rage out, forced Ironman and not even restarting? lol. At least it's a free update, and it's separate from the main campaign, right? I don't have XCOM 2 installed at the moment, due to massive RPG overload.

I also was less than pleased to discover the forced Iron Man. Some people enjoy the tension but for me, it has the same effect as Hardcore mode in Diablo where it mainly just makes me play super conservatively and s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y-y-y-y. In this case: Blue move + overwatch everyone, every turn. Also makes me terrified of using cars for cover. I don't remember if it was XCOM1 or 2 that had the "I'm actually about to explode but you can't see me burning" bug, but it's an instakill for the hapless guy parked next to it. So if it's Iron Man, I'd rather not risk it. They seem to have dropped the concealed mechanic as well for these new missions, for some reason. If nothing else it made the initial turns a lot faster in the campaign.

Oh, and everyone, remember to go into the menus and change the soundtrack It's on WOTC by default. Played a couple of missions before I remembered.

12. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 13:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

11. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 13:24 Flatline

MeanJim wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 03:36:
What happens after December 3rd? Does the DLC cost money or is it just unavailable after that?

I picked up XCOM 2 from a Humble (monthly?) bundle, but wanted to go back and finish the first one. I was thinking of giving the first game another try "soon" and I figured by the time I got around to playing and finishing it, all the DLC would be out and discounted by then.

I'm guessing that it costs money at that point. They said it's free for now. If you're on steam and have WOTC you get it automatically so don't sweat it. If you don't own WOTC, you have a month and a half to get it, which isn't a terribad deal.

10. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 13:22 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 11:15:
I sunk a lot of hours in to XCOM 2, then left. I keep returning and have no idea WTF is going on anymore, so I don't stick around. It seems like everything is an emergency and needs to be addressed, so I just alt-f4. I enjoy the missions themselves. It's all the other shit going on that I get lost in.

I believe WOTC lets you double the Advent Project timer and double the rounds that you have to complete some missions. Also, there are a *lot* less "do this in 5 rounds or less" missions in WOTC. XCOM2 sucked that way. I don't mind the occasional "OMG hurry up!" mission but when *all* of them are that way it's just not fun.

9. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 13:20 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 23:03:
Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 20:18:
Started playing and rage-quit. Two 100% hit chances in a row missed, and over half of my 75% or higher hit chances missed too. By the 4th mission I had seen the Advent miss... three times. I forgot that Firaxis thinks it's hilarious to give you inaccurate information.

War of the Chosen definitely increases the early difficulty of the game, but once you get the hang of the Chosen, it becomes manageable. Once you kill one or two and get their super weapons, the game becomes a hell of a lot easier, really. I don't recommend Ironman mode for your first game with WotC, some save scumming is required because occasionally you get some really bad rolls vs the Chosen. :||

I've played through WOTC about a dozen times. I'm used to it's quirks. No this is this Tactical Legacy Pack that made me want to throw my keyboard. It feels different- both different from XCOM and XCOM2/WOTC.

The damage is silly. More than once I've had critical hits inflict like... 4 points of damage, maybe 5, and my weapon does 3-6 base damage. Yay.

There are also points where it's like 4 v 10-15 bad guys. Which is just frustrating as all hell with how the RNJesus had decided I was a heretic.

I'll go back to it I'm sure. But right now it doesn't feel like the game is better than I am, it feels like there's a great big thumb on the scales. I may try stripping out most/all of my WOTC mods to see if a vanilla play of the tactical missions fixes the issues.

8. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 11:26 Beamer

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 08:55:
Oh hell. I already have hundreds of hours in XCOM 2 and now I'm going to have to go back to it. I am in romantic love with this game. My favorite game of the last 5 years hands down, and easily in my personal top 5 of all time.

XCOM 2 is a top 5? Over XCOM, over X-COM? Does this include WOTC?
I think I preferred the original remake. Once it gets colder I'll go through again, but I did the original 3.5 or 4 times. 2 I think only once, but I don't have the expansion yet.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 11:15 Frijoles

I sunk a lot of hours in to XCOM 2, then left. I keep returning and have no idea WTF is going on anymore, so I don't stick around. It seems like everything is an emergency and needs to be addressed, so I just alt-f4. I enjoy the missions themselves. It's all the other shit going on that I get lost in.  

6. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 08:55 Prez

Oh hell. I already have hundreds of hours in XCOM 2 and now I'm going to have to go back to it. I am in romantic love with this game. My favorite game of the last 5 years hands down, and easily in my personal top 5 of all time.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 03:36 MeanJim

Started playing and rage-quit. Two 100% hit chances in a row missed, and over half of my 75% or higher hit chances missed too. By the 4th mission I had seen the Advent miss... three times. I forgot that Firaxis thinks it's hilarious to give you inaccurate information.

That still happens in XCOM 2? That was a "rare" bug (from what I was told) in XCOM: EU, which happened in both of my attempts of playing it. It's like a disease that infects one soldier at first, then spreads to others. It gets worse over time, to where eventually every shot shows either 1% or 100% chance, and you never know your real chance to hit.

As a gift to the fans, the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen – Tactical Legacy Pack will be available for free to all owners of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen until 12:59pm ET on December 3.

What happens after December 3rd? Does the DLC cost money or is it just unavailable after that?

I picked up XCOM 2 from a Humble (monthly?) bundle, but wanted to go back and finish the first one. I was thinking of giving the first game another try "soon" and I figured by the time I got around to playing and finishing it, all the DLC would be out and discounted by then.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 02:28 J

I liked the first XCOM... to start with. But it actually got worse with time, and they never fixed it. I really dislike their attitude with bugs.

So, roll on Phoenix Point...

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

3. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 9, 2018, 23:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

War of the Chosen definitely increases the early difficulty of the game, but once you get the hang of the Chosen, it becomes manageable. Once you kill one or two and get their super weapons, the game becomes a hell of a lot easier, really. I don't recommend Ironman mode for your first game with WotC, some save scumming is required because occasionally you get some really bad rolls vs the Chosen.

I've never had a %100 chance shot miss, unless it somehow hit a part of the environment? That might be a bug. Anything under 100%, yeah you get some poorly timed misses, but that's the game.

The guerrilla missions are really vital to controlling the Advent's progress towards the Avatar, so you have some time to build up your forces and base, and can take the Chosen out. They are also easier to kill the earlier you find their base, if you wait too long they start getting a lot of upgrades. That said, I didn't try to kill any of their bases with the entry level guns, I had upgraded most weapon types once before going to the first Chosen base I found.

tl,dr: I encourage you to try again, the game is great, but not if you're going to rage-toss your keyboard through your monitor or something.

Slightly off topic: the Alien Hunter DLC is on sale, I might finally buy that and do another run through with everything turned on, although I hear the AH weapons are even stronger than the WotC weapons.

2. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 9, 2018, 20:18 Flatline

1. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 9, 2018, 20:02 Cutter

Better still, WOTC is on sale at GMG for $17 Freedom Dollars atm! And that's what I've been waiting for. Cool beans, turns out I had a $3 credit on GMG for some reason. Nice.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo