Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was 20 years ago today that Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play. But it was 22 years ago today that this site moved to its own domain and officially became Blue's News. Over those two-plus decades we've discussed a lot of game news and indulged in a lot of puns and running gags. We've also hosted over 1.15 billion visits in that time without once posting a top 10 list, so here's a heartfelt thank you to all of you for visiting, commenting, submitting links, and basically making the whole process work. Here's to the next 22!

Anniversary Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Interactive Horror Stories.
Stories: "Doctor Who" Scores Big UK Ratings.
Disaster averted at Household Hazardous Waste Clean-up Day. Thanks Devicer.
Science: Your Dog May Be Smart, but She’s Not Exceptional. Says Dr. Cat Lover. Thanks j.c.f.
Extreme heat of Vesuvius eruption vaporized body fluids, exploded skulls.
Giant, jagged 'ice spikes' cover Jupiter's moon Europa, new study suggests.
Media: Defying Gravity.
Young Dragon.
lol.
Follow-up: Myth-busting the self-shredding Banksy painting.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2018, 06:40 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 18:38:
Cutter wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 18:18:
That's because it's not Dr. Who anymore, it's Dr. Snowflake and the SJW patrol.

What's wrong with a female doctor?

If the acting is good does it matter?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2018, 06:39 Kxmode

Is the TARDIS a Mini-Cooper?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 16:23 Quboid

summerock wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 17:45:
I love doctor who but this season is not my cup of tea. I think the rating is very high because people are just curious to see the change. We'll see if the viewership stand the test of time.

That's why I watched it. New doctor, new show runner, and a positive reaction (particularly from NerdCubed, who I always enjoy). I'm sure many others are in the same boat, and there will have been a lot of tedious people watching desperate for Jodie Whittaker to be either brilliant or awful. I liked her, but I couldn't say if she's true to the character (in so much as different regenerations are the same character).

I'm going to take it one episode at a time. It was good enough for me to want to watch the next one, but I'll probably lose interest pretty soon.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 10:39 rawbelly

Happy anniversary! Cheers! and a BIG thank you.  

40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 03:04 VaranDragon

Great stuff! Here's to another 22 years at least! Hope I can stick around to check it out, but I've had a decent run and seen the last twenty, so no biggie if I dont  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 02:52 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 02:08:
1badmf wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 20:30:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 14:21:
MisterBenn wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 11:29:
Happy anniversary! I didn't have an account back then but I caught up with Blues News and Planet Quake every time I logged on to the internet as a student back in the mid 90s. It's bonkers to keep going for so long.

Doctor Who might be making a splash (the reach of BBC's promotion is pretty big, and there's an extra stir this time round casting a women as the Doctor for the first time) - but I've tried watching recent episodes a couple of times, and didn't think much of it. I think that's because it's very mainstream, and I suspect aimed at younger people than me. The dialogue particularly struck me as bad in the pieces I caught previously, I remember getting caught up in the buzz for Peter Capaldi getting the role, and when I tuned in I remember distinctly thinking that he was way too good for this!
Currently watching S3 with David Tennant and loving it. Campy, yes, but also quite inventive, and the characters have great chemistry.

a friend dragged me kicking and screaming into a binge evening of doctor who, and i'm glad she did. it was as cheesy as i remember from the tom baker doctor i watched as a kid, but very surprisingly it also has a strong humanist streak that I very much enjoy and did not expect. i'm up to season 7 i think and frankly loving every minute of it.

One of the few shows the entire family can watch and be entertained, kids and all. Our other family-time show is "Faces of Death."

ahh an oldie but goodie. surprised disney hasn't made an animated version yet XD

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 02:08 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 20:30:
Happy anniversary! I didn't have an account back then but I caught up with Blues News and Planet Quake every time I logged on to the internet as a student back in the mid 90s. It's bonkers to keep going for so long.

Doctor Who might be making a splash (the reach of BBC's promotion is pretty big, and there's an extra stir this time round casting a women as the Doctor for the first time) - but I've tried watching recent episodes a couple of times, and didn't think much of it. I think that's because it's very mainstream, and I suspect aimed at younger people than me. The dialogue particularly struck me as bad in the pieces I caught previously, I remember getting caught up in the buzz for Peter Capaldi getting the role, and when I tuned in I remember distinctly thinking that he was way too good for this!
Currently watching S3 with David Tennant and loving it. Campy, yes, but also quite inventive, and the characters have great chemistry.

a friend dragged me kicking and screaming into a binge evening of doctor who, and i'm glad she did. it was as cheesy as i remember from the tom baker doctor i watched as a kid, but very surprisingly it also has a strong humanist streak that I very much enjoy and did not expect. i'm up to season 7 i think and frankly loving every minute of it.

One of the few shows the entire family can watch and be entertained, kids and all. Our other family-time show is "Faces of Death."

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2018, 01:37 Steele Johnson

Been coming here since the beginning, Blue. Great job keeping it alive! It was always you and Billy “Wicked” Wilson (R.I.P). Oh, the good ol’ days when pc gaming was in its golden years. Don’t ya miss it? Congrats, and Happy Anniversary!  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 23:51 WarPig

Keep up the good work Blue!

GO SEAHAWKS!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 21:04 eDave

Happy birthday Blues News. You, me, and John Lennon celebrate together.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 20:33 Fingers M

August 1997, skynet struck, and Bluesnews became my homepage and has been ever since, thanks Blue!  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 20:30 1badmf

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 19:53 Mr. Tact

The T-shirts haven't been around for a long time now. Too bad, wore out the two I bought..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 19:44 PhysicalEd

Happy Birthday Blue's News!

I've visited at least daily for at least 20 years of that!

Hmm, about time I bought a T-Shirt I think! Wait - no T-Shirts for sale or am I just not seeing the link? I bet a lot of people would love to throw you some T-Shirt profits.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 19:33 NKD

Absolutely nothing. New Dr is great, and easy on the eyes to boot Look her up in something called "Venus." She has a lovely pair of talents.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 19:12 Mordecai Walfish

“Unfortunately, we don’t comment on rumors or speculation other than to say that the Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac still holds up,” said an Obsidian spokesperson.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 18:58 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 18:51:

Nothing, unless you're a snowflake *cough*
Anymore talk like that and you're gonna stir up my white fragility, waaaaah.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 18:51 Beamer

Nothing, unless you're a snowflake *cough*

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 18:38 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 18:26 RedEye9

Sepharo wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 16:34:

I wish there were more places like this on the internet.

Ain't that the truth.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo