DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders

The Fighter Collection & Eagle Dynamics announce the F-14 Tomcat is the next aircraft coming to DCS World, their aerial combat simulation. The DCS E-Shop has loads of details on the plane, and it is already available for preorder. Here's the announcement video along with more on the Tomcat and its appearances in theaters of operation and movie theaters:
The Grumman F-14 Tomcat was a two-crew, variable geometry, maritime air superiority fighter that served with the US Navy for 32 years and continues to serve with the IRIAF in Iran. The F-14 was the US Navy's frontline fighter from the 1970s until the mid-2000s. Over the course of its long service life it also became the US Navy’s premier precision ground-attack platform and lone airborne reconnaissance asset.

Outstanding features of the aircraft are the swing-wing configuration, crew of two, and the powerful AN/AWG-9 Weapons Control System (WCS) and radar. The AWG-9 allows employment of the powerful AIM-54 Phoenix air to air missile while the LANTIRN pod allows the ability to carry out precision ground strikes using laser guided bombs. The F-14 Tomcat was present during many pivotal historic moments such as the two Gulf of Sidra incidents, Operation Desert storm in Iraq, the conflict in Yugoslavia, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was also immortalized in the iconic motion picture, Top Gun, and starred in several other feature films including The Final Countdown, Executive Decision, and others.

View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders
Oct 9, 2018, 17:29
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 17:29
Oct 9, 2018, 17:29

Numinar wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 03:07:
I wish there was a DCS level Battletech/Gundam/Macross game, it would be so good!

I know someone personally that is making one, an indie dev, there will be a "prologue" style game coming out around xmas time (followed by the usual kickstarter thing to help fund the full campaign) - perhaps sooner if anyone knows a 3d artist that has a similar vision and doesn't mind working for free until things take off, because two people do things faster than one

Oct 9, 2018, 14:28
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 14:28
Oct 9, 2018, 14:28

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 03:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 20:37:
Until the waning days of Desert Storm, in-country air superiority was tasked to USAF F-15 Eagles due to the way the Air Tasking Orders (ATO) delegated primary overland CAP stations to the F-15 Eagle. The governing Rules of Engagement (ROE) also dictated a strict Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) requirement when employing Beyond Visual Range weapons such as the AIM-7 Sparrow and particularly the AIM-54 Phoenix. This hampered the Tomcat from using its most powerful weapon.

You are talking about rules of engagement here. Not the technical ability of the airframes. Neither the Eagle nor the Tomcat could IFF with any certainity. An AWACS would provide confirmation for BVR shots in BOTH cases. The reasons why F15s were tasked with CAP missions over the F14s had nothing to do with their air to air ability.

Yeah I was going to ask why the tomcats would deploy without AWACS support. I mean, in reality you won't always get it, but I thought operational doctrine was to use AWACS *way* back and feed information to the fighters.

Oct 9, 2018, 12:56
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 12:56
Oct 9, 2018, 12:56

Choachy wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 09:37:
Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 08:40:
What - no 'Top Gun' references? No one wondering if the shirtless beach volleyball game is included or will be dlc? No one asking if the voiceovers will include iconic lines like 'Talk to me Goose' or 'You could be my wingman anytime '???? Shame.

On a serious note, I was wondering - what about the F-14 specifically required 2 pilots while most other fighters only needed one?

Actually, I think they did. They showed an F-14 in a flat spin in one cut.

I think a few of the shots in the video were from Top Gun, unless they redid those particular shots frame by frame in their game.

I showed this video to a few colleagues, and we were dropping Top Gun quotes all over the place, it was pretty cool.

It looks amazing. Compare this with some footage from like the A10 years ago and see how much more amazing this looks, it's insane.

I gave DCS a go for a bit, and literally couldn't figure out how to take off, so I grudgingly conceded that these games have passed me by. I'll just be over here shooting aliens and murdering Orcs.

Oct 9, 2018, 12:52
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 12:52
Oct 9, 2018, 12:52

Numinar wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 03:07:
I wish there was a DCS level Battletech/Gundam/Macross game, it would be so good!

It's kind of hard for them to go to the Smithsonian and have a look at one of those for reference.

Oct 9, 2018, 09:37
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 09:37
Oct 9, 2018, 09:37

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 08:40:
What - no 'Top Gun' references? No one wondering if the shirtless beach volleyball game is included or will be dlc? No one asking if the voiceovers will include iconic lines like 'Talk to me Goose' or 'You could be my wingman anytime '???? Shame.

On a serious note, I was wondering - what about the F-14 specifically required 2 pilots while most other fighters only needed one?

Actually, I think they did. They showed an F-14 in a flat spin in one cut.

Oct 9, 2018, 09:30
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 09:30
Oct 9, 2018, 09:30

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 03:39:
Until the waning days of Desert Storm, in-country air superiority was tasked to USAF F-15 Eagles due to the way the Air Tasking Orders (ATO) delegated primary overland CAP stations to the F-15 Eagle. The governing Rules of Engagement (ROE) also dictated a strict Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) requirement when employing Beyond Visual Range weapons such as the AIM-7 Sparrow and particularly the AIM-54 Phoenix. This hampered the Tomcat from using its most powerful weapon.

You are talking about rules of engagement here. Not the technical ability of the airframes. Neither the Eagle nor the Tomcat could IFF with any certainity. An AWACS would provide confirmation for BVR shots in BOTH cases. The reasons why F15s were tasked with CAP missions over the F14s had nothing to do with their air to air ability.

I'm not "talking". What you quoted there was from the Wikipedia entry on the F-14... as I said in the post you quoted .

Anyway, I'm well aware of the role of AWACS and yes that's how it would work in an ideal world with 100% available and reliable AWACS coverage at all ranges where the AWACS controllers would neatly sort it all out for the fighter jockeys so they could scratch their balls while squeezing the trigger from time to time.
In the real world this is typically not the case depending on a large number of circumstances (airspace restrictions, enemy presence/risk assessment, weather, terrain, technical limitations etc.).

What I said/quoted from Wikipedia definitely had technical reasons like better IFF sensors at BVR range on the F-15. The F-15 was better at dealing with situations where you had a mix of friendlies and foes whereas the F-14 was better at firing indiscriminately at multiple targets at very long range (i.e. if you knew that only enemy aircraft could be incoming from a certain heading).
A good article on the subject can be found here.

Fun fact: The visual ID capabilities of the Tomcat were actually superior due to its zoom-capable onboard camera system. To establish similar VID capabilities on the F-15 they strapped rifle scopes to the freakin' HUD frame .

Oct 9, 2018, 08:40
Prez

Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 08:40
Oct 9, 2018, 08:40
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 9, 2018, 03:39
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 03:39
Oct 9, 2018, 03:39

Oct 9, 2018, 03:07
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 9, 2018, 03:07
Oct 9, 2018, 03:07

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 22:14:
bigspender wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 20:51:
I wouldn't really call mastering all the radar modes "child's play".
You do in fact not "just lock on". It can be pretty tricky to even spot, identify (IFF was pretty crappy in the Tomcat in so far as the ID capabilities were much shorter range than its standard weaponry *), track and then lock on a target depending on its range, altitude, speed, AoA, size/profile, (E)CM and so on.

Remember if you play the game in sim mode (instead of game mode) then this is DSC World and study level. You don't typically just press 'T' to lock on the nearest enemy target and squeeze the trigger.

You first have to master the skill of getting to the point that allows you to even spot bogies reliably. Then track them. Then lock on. And then maybe squeeze... unless the other guy squeezed first Wink .

* from Wikipedia:

The threat management and situational awareness can get very complicated, but I'm talking specifically about the combat capability - using a heat-seeker is as easy as pointing your nose at an enemy, it does auto-lock on and then you just press your trigger to launch the homing missile.

And that's exactly what I would recommend people do if they want to get into this beautiful plane. Like I mentioned, a fuel tanker stands no chance against an F-14

This thing will look just superb in VR too.

Yes, I guess that's the nice thing about DCS being a game. You can just do whatever you want and don't have to OCD about real world procedures . It's true, of course, that shooting the gun or IR AA missiles is easy as pie.

However, one of the Tomcat's primary functions was to serve as an airborne launch platform for BVR VERY long range AA missiles like the AIM-54 Phoenix (effective at 100nm).
The Tomcat's major purpose in that role was to act as a fleet defender that was supposed to shoot down enemy bombers with long range anti-ship missiles or torpedoes.
They weren't supposed to let anyone get even close to within AIM-9 range unless it was a low threat or otherwise necessary.

Anyway, the point is: If you want to master the full plane with ALL of its capabilities then it'll be another module that will take many months to learn about all of its combat/avionics systems and combat/radar modes.

I agree with this. I don't think we should scare people off with the study sim label, it's only that if you want it to be. Anyone can enjoy this within 30 minutes, even in SIM mode. Sooner if going through a checklist and clicking on stuff in the cockpit is as fun for you as I find it.

I like to play this with my old man, a few beers and a Chuck's guide (Free manual some cool dude makes for many planes with cool in game screenshots clearly labeled with most basic procedures) open on a second screen. It's only as much a study guide as you want it to be, the freedom to crash the thing makes it just a game, even in SIM mode. But in spite of my bad attitude you do end up learning stuff somehow and it's pretty amazing. I wish there was a DCS level Battletech/Gundam/Macross game, it would be so good!

We practice doing stuff by the book but that seems way too hard, I am definitely not naval, or any kind of aviator material. Luckily the F18 is forgiving enough that you can plant it on the boat with a little practice and throttle work, the AOA indicator takes care of everything and you just have to keep an eye on that and aim for somewhere on the front of the boat and it often takes care of itself. I don't have the eyesight/monitor resolution/skills/sobriety to actually see the ball properly for some reason.

Not accidentally shooting friendlies and flying tight enough formation to refuel and not be a loser online is very challenging though, and this big bird is probably way harder to do everything with due to size and age of the tech. But at least you don't have to learn any ground attack stuff, I think it's just an air superiority fighter/interceptor.

Hardest thing is binding the right stuff to your stick and throttle in places that make intuitive sense when you need them. Took me a few weeks before I had it perfect but the chucks guide also helps with a few starter setups. Trim/gear/flaps/hook are the main thing to start with (And are probably fine on keyboard if you have glowy lights for them), you work out the weapons/radar/countermeasures/tdc stuff later as you learn those systems.

Oct 8, 2018, 22:14
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 8, 2018, 22:14
Oct 8, 2018, 22:14

bigspender wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 20:51:
You do in fact not "just lock on". It can be pretty tricky to even spot, identify (IFF was pretty crappy in the Tomcat in so far as the ID capabilities were much shorter range than its standard weaponry *), track and then lock on a target depending on its range, altitude, speed, AoA, size/profile, (E)CM and so on.

Remember if you play the game in sim mode (instead of game mode) then this is DSC World and study level. You don't typically just press 'T' to lock on the nearest enemy target and squeeze the trigger.

You first have to master the skill of getting to the point that allows you to even spot bogies reliably. Then track them. Then lock on. And then maybe squeeze... unless the other guy squeezed first Wink .

* from Wikipedia:

The threat management and situational awareness can get very complicated, but I'm talking specifically about the combat capability - using a heat-seeker is as easy as pointing your nose at an enemy, it does auto-lock on and then you just press your trigger to launch the homing missile.

And that's exactly what I would recommend people do if they want to get into this beautiful plane. Like I mentioned, a fuel tanker stands no chance against an F-14

Yes, I guess that's the nice thing about DCS being a game. You can just do whatever you want and don't have to OCD about real world procedures . It's true, of course, that shooting the gun or IR AA missiles is easy as pie.

However, one of the Tomcat's primary functions was to serve as an airborne launch platform for BVR VERY long range AA missiles like the AIM-54 Phoenix (effective at 100nm).
The Tomcat's major purpose in that role was to act as a fleet defender that was supposed to shoot down enemy bombers with long range anti-ship missiles or torpedoes.
They weren't supposed to let anyone get even close to within AIM-9 range unless it was a low threat or otherwise necessary.

Anyway, the point is: If you want to master the full plane with ALL of its capabilities then it'll be another module that will take many months to learn about all of its combat/avionics systems and combat/radar modes.

Oct 8, 2018, 21:10
Cutter

Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 8, 2018, 21:10
Oct 8, 2018, 21:10
 Cutter

Holy eff that looks effing amazing. Now, if they could just do the Mig 25 Foxbat.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 8, 2018, 20:51
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 8, 2018, 20:51
Oct 8, 2018, 20:51

* from Wikipedia:

Oct 8, 2018, 20:37
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 8, 2018, 20:37
Oct 8, 2018, 20:37

* from Wikipedia:

Oct 8, 2018, 20:16
Re: DCS: F-14 Tomcat Preorders Oct 8, 2018, 20:16
Oct 8, 2018, 20:16

Wooooow! That just looks amazing. DCS isn't an easy game to get into, but since the F-14 is a two seater, learning with a friend would be very fun.

Despite the complexity of a modern fighter jet, one thing in them is easy to do - killing stuff. They're designed to make that part child's play. Just lock on and squeeze the trigger at the right time.

The tricky part is going up against someone who knows how to counter your moves, so start off with some big, slow, and easy targets like a fuel tanker and gain some confidence :-)