Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the celebration of Columbus Day here in the U.S. Columbus did not actually discover America, he did not prove the world is round, and by most accounts was responsible for some heinous acts. He did, however, discover Columbus, Ohio, direct Richard Benjamin and Ali McGraw in Goodbye Columbus, and of course, manage the Columbus Clippers to several minor league championships, and thus, is still celebrated.

Celebratory Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Raven.
Science: Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040.
Gene Editing Causes Complete Collapse of Mosquito Population in 'Major Breakthrough' for Disease Eradication. Thanks LinkedIn.
Media: Great post fight interview. NSFW.
This 360-Degree Video Of Alex Honnold Climbing El Capitan Without Any Ropes Will Take Your Breath Away - Digg
You better do that CONGA. Poodle power!

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2018, 19:06 RedEye9

bigspender wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 20:32:
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this gem I found on reddit: DAIKATANA 3 lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9md2vn/daikatana_3_john_romeros_about_to_scratch_that/
lol

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 22:24 Sepharo

bigspender wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 20:32:
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this gem I found on reddit: DAIKATANA 3 lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9md2vn/daikatana_3_john_romeros_about_to_scratch_that/

Stole Genji's move set

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 20:32 bigspender

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 17:12 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 16:03:
Been a while since we've had a good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread to argue about.

Better that than the daily political arguments that seemed to have cropped up here.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 16:43 RedEye9

Been a while since we've had a good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread to argue about.
Just about every time you say that a thread magically appears the next day.
I'd been waiting for Leonard French (a real lawyer, not the Smart kind) to drop another video blog on the Crytek/CIG lawsuit, but all we got was one on the CD Projekt LAWSUIT? LAWYER REACTS!.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 16:31 Beamer

No, it hasn't!!!!!! What kind of idiot would want that?!!!!

Ha!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 16:03 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 14:54 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 12:23:
Chatbear is the software these forums run on, if I'm not mistaken. And yes, it's highly possible that Blues is the only website left in the world that uses it.

Frans' skill set might be more rare than COBOL programmers.

Ah. Cool. Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, Blue might want to bribe Frans with a double beer offering given all that he does around here.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 14:10 jdreyer

Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040.

I'm sure we'd be doing something about it too, if businesses were able to see beyond the next quarter, and politicians beyond the next election. Besides NASA, the other government agency that takes climate change seriously is the US military.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 13:51 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 10:33:
If you haven't seen this, prepare for awesomeness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID1sE2xfwU&t=1s

To me this is more exciting than pretty much any other news I've seen all year.

I bet with a top rig and VR headset, that would be amazing.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 13:48 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 10:16:
Wipe 'em out! Bye mosquitos! (note: just the species that bite and carry diseases. The other thousands are fine, they can continue to be bird feed.)

And bat feed!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 13:37 Cutter

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 13:04:
VaranDragon wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 12:51:
Hate to break it to you buddy, but mosquitoes are not the deadliest animals on this planet. I'll give you a hint to as to its identity. It walks on two legs and wipes out a few thousand species of other plants and animals from the face of the earth EACH YEAR.

While I agree with the sentiment, in pure numbers, mosquitos actually kill more than humans do. I do realize I wrote 'animal', when I believe the study I saw on it actually classified it as 'predator'.

In any case, hey, sterilize all of mankind while we're at it. I don't care.

Cold as it sounds we're already vastly overpopulated and it's only getting much, much worse. Imagine those millions having several children each, and so on. Within several generations that becomes several hundred million. Most ecosystems are already on the verge of collapse. Nature can't afford anymore people on this rock. That climate report shows a Malthusian catastrophe not too long from now is all but certain. And we all know this. And worse, we're moving backward.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 13:31 RedEye9

What are the world's deadliest animals?
According to the World Health Organization, about 725,000 people are killed every year by mosquito-borne diseases. Malaria alone affects 200 million, of which an estimated 600,000 die. Mosquitoes also carry dengue fever, yellow fever and encephalitis.

The sheer number of mosquitoes adds to the risk they pose to humans. Unlike many other dangerous creatures, they can be found in nearly every part of the world at various times of year, and at peak breeding season they outnumber every other animal except ants and termites.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 13:04 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 12:51:
Hate to break it to you buddy, but mosquitoes are not the deadliest animals on this planet. I'll give you a hint to as to its identity. It walks on two legs and wipes out a few thousand species of other plants and animals from the face of the earth EACH YEAR.

While I agree with the sentiment, in pure numbers, mosquitos actually kill more than humans do. I do realize I wrote 'animal', when I believe the study I saw on it actually classified it as 'predator'.

In any case, hey, sterilize all of mankind while we're at it. I don't care.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 12:51 VaranDragon

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 12:22:
Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 11:15:
Wipe 'em out! Bye mosquitos! (note: just the species that bite and carry diseases. The other thousands are fine, they can continue to be bird feed.)

I agree with the sentiment but it seems whenever we do something like this the long term ramifications are just something we can't see and will eventually come back to bite us in the ass. Mankind isn't very good at planning for the future...as evidenced by that climate report.

Mosquitos (or rather, the diseases they carry), literally kill millions of people a year. It's because of this that they are considered the deadliest animal on earth. In this case, I think we need to just take the risk. Yes, there's a chance something 'unforeseen' happens, though even that's kind of a loaded statement as the most immediate risk would be to other species of mosquito, which... eh :-shrug-: . It's really hard to see how something could happen that would be worse than MILLIONS of people dying each year because of these little fuckers.

And again, we're talking about like 5 species out of thousands that even carry diseases. There's only like a dozen or so that even bite.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 12:23 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 11:53:
I am very tired so excuse this seemingly random question. However, what the Hell is chatbear? The link on the bottom of the page is dead and the website for the company is gone. Moreover, the chatbear Twitter account hasn't posted anything in six and a half years. My DDG searches have brought up mostly links to sites catering to older, hairy, gay men so I'm pretty confident that's not it...

Did BN used to have an old school style chat feature?

Chatbear is the software these forums run on, if I'm not mistaken. And yes, it's highly possible that Blues is the only website left in the world that uses it.

Frans' skill set might be more rare than COBOL programmers.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 12:22 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 11:15:

I agree with the sentiment but it seems whenever we do something like this the long term ramifications are just something we can't see and will eventually come back to bite us in the ass. Mankind isn't very good at planning for the future...as evidenced by that climate report.

Mosquitos (or rather, the diseases they carry), literally kill millions of people a year. It's because of this that they are considered the deadliest animal on earth. In this case, I think we need to just take the risk. Yes, there's a chance something 'unforeseen' happens, though even that's kind of a loaded statement as the most immediate risk would be to other species of mosquito, which... eh :-shrug-: . It's really hard to see how something could happen that would be worse than MILLIONS of people dying each year because of these little fuckers.

And again, we're talking about like 5 species out of thousands that even carry diseases. There's only like a dozen or so that even bite.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 11:53 Burrito of Peace

I am very tired so excuse this seemingly random question. However, what the Hell is chatbear? The link on the bottom of the page is dead and the website for the company is gone. Moreover, the chatbear Twitter account hasn't posted anything in six and a half years. My DDG searches have brought up mostly links to sites catering to older, hairy, gay men so I'm pretty confident that's not it...

Did BN used to have an old school style chat feature?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 11:38 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 11:16:
You really know Columbus Day has been downgraded when it doesn't even rate a Google doodle.
Google does not deserve half the credit you give them.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2018, 11:19 Agent.X7

Don't forget he directed the first Harry Potter movie!  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo