Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Win 10 Update 1803 Oct 22, 2018, 12:50 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 8, 2018, 02:21:
Maybe, but you don't need to move you arm from the keyboard rest to the mouse to access that winver thing.
There are keyboards commands to right click. (Shift F10) but the laptop I tested it on has F10 hidden under a fn key modifier. you win this round

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The gameís afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. removed Oct 8, 2018, 17:22 LibertyOrDeath

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 8, 2018, 19:38.

31. removed Oct 8, 2018, 17:20 LibertyOrDeath

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 8, 2018, 19:38.

30. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Win 10 Update 1803 Oct 8, 2018, 02:21 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 14:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 11:56:
The update pushes the version to 1809
Startmenu
type -> winver

to see what version you are on

Why so complicated? Typing is teh hard!!!11

Just right click on start, select the 'System' entry and there ya go... bottom of the page under 'Windows specifications'.

Typing is hard? ^^ Maybe, but you don't need to move you arm from the keyboard rest to the mouse to access that winver thing.

29. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 8, 2018, 01:18 Ant

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 12:52:
Mass file deletion... You guys truly don't do a fucking shit's worth of testing, do you, MS?
They fired their QA years ago. Many companies care not for QA these days too.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Win 10 Update 1803 Oct 7, 2018, 17:59 Rigs

Assassinís Creed Odyssey will not work on CPUs that do not support AVX. e.g., first-gen Intel i3, i5, i7, Intel Pentiums, and AMD Phenoms.

Well, I guess my baby's time has come. Just like back in the day when you went to EB and had to check the system requirements on the side of the box (in the 286/386/486 days), it looks like I'm now gonna have to do the same before grabbing a new game. My system is still rockin' a first-gen Core i5/750. I mean, I could understand the Phenoms, they've been getting the shit end of the stick for a couple years now but first-gen Core's?! C'mon! There's nothing this cpu can't do that other, newer ones can, IMO. Well, except for AVX, evidently. A sad day...

=-Rigs-=

27. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Win 10 Update 1803 Oct 7, 2018, 14:16 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 11:56:
Startmenu
type -> winver

Why so complicated? Typing is teh hard!!!11

Just right click on start, select the 'System' entry and there ya go... bottom of the page under 'Windows specifications'.

26. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Win 10 Update 1803 Oct 7, 2018, 11:56 eRe4s3r

Startmenu
type -> winver

25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2018, 11:53 eRe4s3r

MeanJim wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 23:43:
While enthusiasts could manually install the October 2018 Update since October 2, it was scheduled to be pushed out to the masses via Windows Update on October 9 as part of Patch Tuesday.

They must have pushed it out early then. It downloaded Thursday night for me. I have auto reboot disabled and I always backup before major updates. I must be lucky though since I didn't lose any files, but I have my documents, music, video, etc. directories on D: though.

Thank you W10 Home user for beta testing for us Pro/Enteprise clients We get the updates semi-annual and only after it got deployed to the plebs. All hail Microsoft.

24. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2018, 11:50 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 09:54:
I use the free version of Macrium Reflect for my Windows partition backups--works great--it's easy as pie to use, highly recommended!

This is the way to go, it can be automated or 2-clicks. I also suggest to buy a thumb drive (small one) for each system and create the recovery boot usb for it and tape it to the back of the PC. Then if a drive dies, becomes corrupt our you are simply upgrading boot, you plug in the backup device, insert the usb thumb from the back of the pc and boot to that and a couple clicks and <30 mins later you are back up. You can also grab single files if needed.

Sure still having backups of certain personal files is nice to and go for that as well. But this is a total boot backup and saves a new install and rebuilding time.

23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2018, 10:08 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 19:53:
Gotta love a bug reporting system that depends on upvotes. LOL, I wonder how many other update bugs were lost in this fashion? I'm guessing more than a few...
Bugs that cause data loss get ignored while requests for dark mode get upvoted and receive all the attention.

The idiots at Redmond cannot be commended enough for the failure that is Windows 10.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The gameís afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2018, 09:54 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 13:36:
That's it!!1!

I'm backing all my files to OneDrive.
I hope microsofts OneDrive servers don't run on Windows 10.

Glad I saw your post, RedEye!...;)

I've been running the October '18 Windows build (version 1809, build 17763.1) for the last ten days or so (I've installed almost every build of Win10 since Oct 1, 2014--or so Microsoft tells me, anyway--whew, how time flies!) and it is rock-solid and perfectly safe--I've seen no file deletions of any kind. However, I don't run OneDrive anymore and haven't for quite sometime (because I have no use for it--I ran it for months, though, without an issue), and that is important because the issue seems to be related to OneDrive on some systems, from what I've read.

All I can say is that the users having the initial problems with the October update report that without OneDrive the latest Win10 version is as stable as a rock and the upgrade install completes without problems. I haven't actually had any trouble with any Windows10x64 build I've run for the last couple of years, really. Just thought to warn you off of OneDrive for the moment--or at least until Microsoft confirms the problem!

I use the free version of Macrium Reflect for my Windows partition backups--works great--it's easy as pie to use, highly recommended!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

21. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Win 10 Update 1803 Oct 7, 2018, 07:54 Jonjonz

Heard about his a few days ago, so I backed up all my personal files (pictures, my documents, Videos, Downloads, etc.)

I learned years ago to never keep your personal files under C:/Users/.

I had relocated all of my personal files, and Onedrive to an external drive.

Yesterday 1803 update happened for me, fortunately it did not touch my personal files, but decided to move Onedrive from the external drive to under C:\Users etc., and seemed to have lost about half of my Start Menu tiles.

And all this telemetry data was going to help the do a better job with updates...

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2018, 03:11 VaranDragon

Armengar wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 15:28:
any muppet who doesnt have a full bare metal backup before doing a major manual update deserves to lose data. Its not hard. just download veeam free ffs!

Yeah, cos it can't be Microsoft's fault nope. It's the users.

19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 23:43 MeanJim

While enthusiasts could manually install the October 2018 Update since October 2, it was scheduled to be pushed out to the masses via Windows Update on October 9 as part of Patch Tuesday.

They must have pushed it out early then. It downloaded Thursday night for me. I have auto reboot disabled and I always backup before major updates. I must be lucky though since I didn't lose any files, but I have my documents, music, video, etc. directories on D: though.

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 23:22 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 16:45:
My "remote machine" is an older Dell R710 stuffed with 4TB drives and an H700 on the latest firmware that is colocated. The array is encrypted. For a simple, secure, offsite backup location, the server is more than sufficient. Combine that with transmitting the backup data through an encrypted tunnel and I have what I consider a reasonably secure offsite backup location.

It really depends on the person, I simply don't need that level of protection. I have clones of all boot drives & important user data on removable devices, 4 units, local but detached. Power surge issues have historically been my #1 issue, UPS cleans that up pretty much as well. I do have a few more critical files, like Emergency Evacuation Plan type files, those are backed up on a Thumb Drive and remote.

I don't consider games and game saves as critical backup data, however some do live on my boot drive, not suggesting you are. I have my music backed up locally several ways and I don't have a movie media center.

If I were a personal developer and I am dev at work, but the work ones are backed up on our cloud and the projects I work on fit on thumb drives as well. But if I were a personal developer, yes I would have a very robust backup plan, several local copies and an offsite one. The pain of loosing work like that is heart breaking.

17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 19:53 Mr. Tact

Gotta love a bug reporting system that depends on upvotes. LOL, I wonder how many other update bugs were lost in this fashion? I'm guessing more than a few...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 19:39 eRe4s3r

Deleting anything in \users directory, classy.

Apparently only happens if you have any of these directories not on C: and OneDrive is not a backup. Just FYI

Also this was reported by Insider users months before release.

15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 18:28 CJ_Parker

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 15:29:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 14:57:
Honestly, anyone who backs up personal files to a remote computer is not quite right in the head IMHO.

Then I must very obviously not be "quite right in the head" because I backup personal files to a remote machine daily and hourly, depending upon the file location.

It's called an "offsite backup" and is a required part of any robust backup solution. Backing up locally is all fine and well until you have a natural disaster, say flooding from a hurricane or the largest wildfire in US history, that destroys your location and all infrastructure.

I obviously meant a remote computer (server) you have no control over and that is an amateur service like OneDrive. I'm well aware of the concept of offsite backups, of course, but larger gigs ideally run these offsite places themselves or they backup their data with places that promise Fort Knox style security.

I would never put my personal data on OneDrive or any other remote computer I have no administrative control over. How do you know what they are doing with your data? You don't know anything. They could analyze it (an excellent use case for those deep learning systems) to check your correspondence for your contacts, insurance contracts, health information, banking data, everything and anything.

So, yeah, anyone who puts personal data in the cloud is nucking futs. Fact.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo