Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing?

A tweet from Brian Fargo seems to answer yes to our headline question, as the inXile boss seems to indicate Baldur's Gate 3 is in development (thanks PC Gamer). A story on WCCFTECH says Larian Studios is denying they are the developer on a new installment in the role-playing series. Here's Fargo's tweet:

I happen to know who is working on BG3 ;-)

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 7, 2018, 13:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 11:14:
Zarkonis wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 10:20:
And those of you saying "I won't be bothering", then why bother posting?

What else are we supposed to discuss in a teaser thread aside from whether or not we are actually looking forward to the thing teased? If you only want to hear from people who agree with you, why bother having a discussion thread at all?

Clearly, there are not enough echo chambers on the internet!

BG3, in D:OS style engine... hrm that could be amazing. Or, the inXile/Beamdog/Obsidian side of the coin, I still love real time with pausing, so either way, I'll probably be required by international treaty to buy whatever game gets made.

Now, if only there was enough time to actually play all these games that are coming out...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 7, 2018, 11:14 Scottish Martial Arts

What else are we supposed to discuss in a teaser thread aside from whether or not we are actually looking forward to the thing teased? If you only want to hear from people who agree with you, why bother having a discussion thread at all?

24. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 7, 2018, 05:22 Numinar

At this stage, BG3 should be what BG1 was. A fresh go at making a CRPG using the latest technology and DnD ruleset (Playing 5e with the kids, it is a way better ruleset than 2e and I assume better than the junk in between)

Instead of 3 it probably needs a subtitle that denotes a new continuity, as I believe we are a few hundred years past BG2 and it's contemporary Drizzt and Bruenor and co. We've also gotten older, and FR needs to be better than RA salvatores best attempt at middle earth with sex.

What made the first game so good (And the second an excellent expansion of those ideas) was that it was a fresh, ground up attempt at a CRPG in a genre that never managed to evolve past Hillsfar, Eye of the Beholder and and the SSI games as good as they were. But he passage of time has rendered it as stale and quaint as it's predecessors.

The way magic worked, the mechanics worked into it, the open world lightly gated for story purposes. This was cutting edge at the time, and the influence can be seen in Mobas, MMOs and a legion of shallow pretenders to the throne today.

To capture that magic again we need some insane Canadian nerd doctors with dreams, ambitions and financial support to create something nobody else dares consider...

23. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 13:36 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 05:18:
They're just not the right fit. BG3 should be made by Obsidian, Beamdog or inXile. I'm not overly interested in a 3rd BG but I'd prefer Obsidian actually since they have delivered a very solid game with Deadfire.

Their engine is a perfect fit for the BG type of RPG. Looking at the PoEs (and Tyranny) I'm sure that they could nail it visually and stylistically without even trying too hard while a gig like Larian would effectively have to reinvent their whole company to get it at least remotely right.

And Larian know this, too. Swen is enjoying his independence. No publisher, no WotC nagging and bitching that something is not going the way they want. No one forcing them to stick to a ruleset or to cough up milestones by a certain date or no money. Larian want to work on their IP, not BG licensed crap that wouldn't even fit their style.

IMO DOS engine is a perfect fit for tabletop to pc DnD. Real turnbase and multiplayer and really a lot more flexibility than the other devs engines you mention. We'll see who is actually doing it, I'm not against any names suggested though.

22. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 13:33 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 02:59:
I think it goes way beyond the writers in Larian's case. The whole company is a clown shop if you have watched any of their KS videos. The art is cutesy and quirky, the characters are nearly all nutters, the writing is full of humor (good & bad) and their head honcho Swen Vincke is the chief loony at the helm of the Batshit Insane mothership.

I'm not saying they couldn't mess it up, I think the Batshit comment shows some of your insanity, not sure where you are going on that one.

But lets look at it, we have an established IP, they make killing games, no matter how whimsical they are, the core is total onslaught with little reasoning on many kills. Are they able to change up, to hold true to the material and deliver a serious killing machine? Or are they only able to have shits and giggles killing machine games? You could be right, but I'm going with unknown with a side of people are diverse and dynamic.

21. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 12:32 jdreyer

You... you must be new here.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 6, 2018, 12:26 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 20:09:
Meh?

While the Baldur's Gate series is and was a great RPG series, there's nothing about them that demands another sequel. Does anyone really care what Minsc and Imoen are up to these days? Do we really need to explore the Sword Coast yet again? Baldur's Gate didn't do a whole lot to set itself apart from its Forgotten Realms setting, and there hasn't exactly been a shortage of Forgotten Realms games over the years. I just don't see the point aside from appealing to fond memories of what are now quite old games.
I'd rather have a 3rd BG than a twelvth AC or CoD game.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

19. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 10:34 eRe4s3r

Gods, I hope so. Been waiting to see where the God-King of Mulhorand was heading. And those of you saying "I won't be bothering", then why bother posting?

Because in reality everyone is curious but also at the same time disgusted from the idea.

BG2 + TOB is cult, it does not need a sequel. Anything they do will be worse because they compete 1) against some of the greatest writing talent available at the time and 2) against nostalgia and 3) A game that does not push ideological bullshit upon you.

It's been a long time we had any good DnD game for that matter, NWN1 was great, but 3.5e, Pathfinder is based on 3.5e so to me that's like playing the same game (just more broken in case of Pathfinder). I want a 5e implementation of simply a fun story and companion driven DM campaign. Maybe take Vox Machinae campaign 1 and make it a game.

18. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 10:20 Zarkonis

Gods, I hope so. Been waiting to see where the God-King of Mulhorand was heading. And those of you saying "I won't be bothering", then why bother posting?  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

17. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 09:32 Armengar

BG and BG2 were good for their time. As was planescape torment (i didnt like icewind dale). However, I dont think they age well and dnd 2nd edition is a mess of difficult character tables and finicky rules. I also liked the eye of beholder series before them but they all belong in the past.

NWN with mods was far better and NWN 2 was my fav ruleset and setting.

I wont be bothering with BG3

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

16. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 05:18 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 04:43:
Larian's Divinity-Original-Sin games were very good RPGs with a good sense of humor. If you don't like them, go back to your Battle-Royale-games, cj. By the way: I DO remember humor in BG... I guess you also hate the Bard's Tale games, cj? And you think that RPGs should never have some fun and humor in them? Okay... Whatever floats your boat, but that means that there is almost NO rpg that you actually like.

Dude, I believe you missed the "I love their games" part Wink . I really like Larian's games and also RPGs with some humor.

Yes, BG had some humor. Even the otherwise pretty serious, "dark & gritty" The Witcher games had quite a bit of humor. Geralt was pretty good at the whole jaded, cynical, sarcastic old fuck shtick.

However, Larian is another level with their quirky, silly, nutty, slapstick humor.
Do you want a BG3 where you activate sneak and you turn into a walking bush? Thought so.

They're just not the right fit. BG3 should be made by Obsidian, Beamdog or inXile. I'm not overly interested in a 3rd BG but I'd prefer Obsidian actually since they have delivered a very solid game with Deadfire.

Their engine is a perfect fit for the BG type of RPG. Looking at the PoEs (and Tyranny) I'm sure that they could nail it visually and stylistically without even trying too hard while a gig like Larian would effectively have to reinvent their whole company to get it at least remotely right.

And Larian know this, too. Swen is enjoying his independence. No publisher, no WotC nagging and bitching that something is not going the way they want. No one forcing them to stick to a ruleset or to cough up milestones by a certain date or no money. Larian want to work on their IP, not BG licensed crap that wouldn't even fit their style.

15. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 04:43 El Pit

Larian's Divinity-Original-Sin games were very good RPGs with a good sense of humor. If you don't like them, go back to your Battle-Royale-games, cj. By the way: I DO remember humor in BG... I guess you also hate the Bard's Tale games, cj? And you think that RPGs should never have some fun and humor in them? Okay... Whatever floats your boat, but that means that there is almost NO rpg that you actually like.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 02:59 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 01:11:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 21:47:
The Larian clowns? Yeah. Maybe if you want a comedy parody of D&D but BG3? Get dafuq outta here!

Right because writers can't write different types of play writes.

I think it goes way beyond the writers in Larian's case. The whole company is a clown shop if you have watched any of their KS videos. The art is cutesy and quirky, the characters are nearly all nutters, the writing is full of humor (good & bad) and their head honcho Swen Vincke is the chief loony at the helm of the Batshit Insane mothership.

Every single one of their releases all the way back to Divine Divinity has been very light-hearted with tons of tongue in cheek humor and nuttiness like Bellegar in Div 2.

I love their games and their studio culture but a "serious" RPG from Larian? Nah... sounds like a recipe for disaster.

13. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 01:11 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 21:47:
The Larian clowns? Yeah. Maybe if you want a comedy parody of D&D but BG3? Get dafuq outta here!

Right because writers can't write different types of play writes.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 6, 2018, 01:01 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 20:09:
Meh?

While the Baldur's Gate series is and was a great RPG series, there's nothing about them that demands another sequel. Does anyone really care what Minsc and Imoen are up to these days? Do we really need to explore the Sword Coast yet again? Baldur's Gate didn't do a whole lot to set itself apart from its Forgotten Realms setting, and there hasn't exactly been a shortage of Forgotten Realms games over the years. I just don't see the point aside from appealing to fond memories of what are now quite old games.

Yeah, I agree. The actual story of the Bhaalspawn was told and finished, so all that's left is the setting of Baldur's Gate, which is just a bland-ass town in a bland-ass, ancient D&D setting.

11. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 6, 2018, 00:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm. As a barely recovering BG2/BG1 addict, I will no doubt get suckered in to buying a BG3. I've been playing Pathfinder:Kingmaker and while it has some amazing things going on, it's just making me really want to do another BG complete run through with mods. Also P:K is buggy as hell, wait until at least October 22nd and the tuning patch.

inXile, Beamdog, probably not Larian, I'm most likely in. Damn their nostalgia targeting!

Really though, the Baldur's Gate team is cast to the winds, retired, dead, working elsewhere, etc. It doesn't mean they can't make a great game, but it's not exactly getting the old band back together.

10. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 5, 2018, 23:10 Muscular Beaver

Its the age of ruining IPs, so I dont have high hopes.  

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

9. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 5, 2018, 21:47 CJ_Parker

8. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 5, 2018, 21:43 d r m a m u

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 21:38:
All that aside, Larian + DnD 5e.. hell yeah. (I know it's unrelated, but reading these 2 things together...)

well their engine is already so close.. with the status fx and environmental stuff and so forth

DOS2 was great but its still too much like a bunch of modules IMHO.. whereas id like a bit more 4th wall and organically cohesive non-linear maps and so forth

7. Re: Is Baldur's Gate 3 a Thing? Oct 5, 2018, 21:38 eRe4s3r

All that aside, Larian + DnD 5e.. hell yeah. (I know it's unrelated, but reading these 2 things together...)  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo