Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name?

Publisher Little Orbit and developer Descendant Studios announce that their new Descent will be released next year, a delay for this game that was to be released this year. This game was available for a time in Early Access and a multiplayer demo was released this summer, and the latest is that a new round of beta testing will begin next month for preorder customers. They offer a new gameplay trailer with indications that the name of the 6DoF prequel may be changing from Descent: Underground to just plain Descent. That's the title the trailer uses, and is how they repeatedly refer to it in the announcement:

Little Orbit, a leading independent video game publisher and Descendant Studios today announced launch details for their long-awaited reimagining of the award-winning classic shooter Descent®. In Descent®, players fight through twisting tunnels and vast caverns where the concepts of up and down mean nothing and danger lurks around every corner. Gamers can watch the all-new sneak peek trailer for Descent® on the official Little Orbit YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3omF99h_lM.

Little Orbit is honoring the spirit of open-development from the original reboot project by inviting early supporters to a special PC Beta beginning in November. PC Beta players will help the studios polish the final release candidate.

Retail and digital full release for PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4 will be coming in early 2019, now including Nintendo Switch.

“This has been more than a 3 year journey for the Kickstarter backers, Early Access players, and fans who all made this game possible. We are excited to begin rolling out the Descent® beta for players later this year,” said Matthew Scott, CEO of Little Orbit. “With Descent®, we are reimagining a classic franchise, while still staying true to the core gameplay that made it one of the most popular games of the 90s.”

Starting this morning, gamers can pre-order Descent® on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux PCs at https://descent2018.com

Pre-order benefits include:

• PC Beta starting last this year
  • A custom version of the Generation III “Viola” ship w/ exclusive paint job
  • Special PC Beta challenges to unlock exclusive pre-season cosmetic rewards
  • Multipass upgrade for multiplayer seasons 1 & 2 with additional gameplay challenges
  • “Secret Missions” DLC with additional single-player missions, landing later in 2019!

Players who purchased Descent: Underground during Descendent Studios’ Kickstarter campaign or Early Access will also receive these pre-order benefits. Additional information is available at https://descendentstudios.com/community/blog/31/entry-447-we-are-resuming-testing/.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Released Oct 7, 2018, 01:24 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 01:05:
Suppa7 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 18:20:
Overmann wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 17:18:
Also games that have the same name as the original always irked me. Need for Speed, Doom, Etc.. Can't you come up with something new?

The reality is most people are stupid and most game companies are conservative.

There's something wrong with you.

Most people are stupid, I'm sorry to tell you. I watched as millions of people voted against game ownership and now diablo 3 has single player lag. AKA game preservation is going to be impossible in the future as all AAA games become "services" because of fucking morons idiots who gullibly paid for mmo's and micro-transaction ridden games.

You do not see reality as it is, see the science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmi0DLzBdQ

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2018, 01:35.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Released Oct 7, 2018, 01:05 Kxmode

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 18:20:
Also games that have the same name as the original always irked me. Need for Speed, Doom, Etc.. Can't you come up with something new?

The reality is most people are stupid and most game companies are conservative.

There's something wrong with you.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 6, 2018, 18:20 Suppa7

The reality is most people are stupid and most game companies are conservative. So it's just easier to rehash what one knows has worked before because of the money involved.

The game industry has been creatively bankrupt since the late 90's but this bankruptcy is not entirely the game industries fault, it's just a matter of art assets and content becoming way too time consuming and costly to produce.

Think about all the insane 8/16-bit games made for the NES/SNES or genesis, many games like that were pitched in post 16-bit era and were never green lighted due to publisher fears.

I was surprised a Jackal tribute got green lighted.

Renegade ops (jackal inspired remake)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/99300/

The original jackal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackal_(video_game)

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2018, 23:27.

22. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 6, 2018, 17:23 Suppa7

Jonjonz wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 07:51:
The thing about the original Descent series that was unique was the complexity of the maze like levels which made huge use of the vertical axis. The level design was usually very polished with hidden traps and hidden mob compartments with invisible triggers. Getting lost in the original Descent games was a huge part of the single player experience.

The original descent survived off novelty, it wasn't really until descent 2 that descent hit it's stride. The after burner and weapons in descent 2 multiplayer were top class. D1 was really rough. When D2 came everyone switched to D2, the ab and things like smart mines and earth shakers were hella fun to use.

The single player campaign had to be descent 2's weakest point, it was just a mixed bag, lots of good ideas executed half hazardly beacause many aspects of single player campaign design hadn't been worked out yet.

I've played so many modern SP campaigns, like titan fall 2's, call of duty 4's, FEARS, etc... you can really see how much SP campaign design has moved on from the barebones of the 90's.

The good things I will say about descent is they at least tried to give the player a world to explore in the caverns even if they didn't have the hardware power to make it pretty/atmospheric like something like deadspace.

I'd love to take the Deadspace team and get them to help make a modern descent, while hiring the original developers simply to do the ship aspects of the game.

AKA have deadspace team to level and art design, but leave the implemnentation details of AI, weapon design, ship physics to the developers.

Deadspace's art team is top class.

21. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 6, 2018, 17:18 Overmann

The problem with Underground was that the movement felt terrible, the guns weren't satisfying to fire, the levels were pretty basic and the AI was completely stupid. On top of that the mining was dumb, the different ship class seemed very unDescent like and whole story concept sounded boring.

Which brings up something else, idk if it was ever confirmed or not but is sounded like you'd just be fighting other "drones" not different types of bots.

Overload nailed all of these things from it's first demo.

I suppose a lot can change in a year, but on the other hand Underground started first. And when Overload came out, Underground still played terribly.

20. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Released Oct 6, 2018, 13:30 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 09:43:
I didn't misread you post. Your not communicating well. It shouldn't take four posts to clarify your meanings.

You did. You couldn't read my intentions at all and your post was full of gobbledygook.

Everything I said was true. The Descent underground kickstarter DID take away funds from overload because most of the people who funded DU thought they were funding the original developers.

Smart people would have only funded the original descent developers, because Star citizens hack devs have NEVER MADE A DESCENT BEFORE.

As is said in the game industry: "You're only as good as your next game".

The original descent developers cocked up the Descent 3 release, what hope does a bunch of fucksticks who've never made a 6DOF from star citizen have?

You and most gamers are full on retard in terms of your inability to perceive the world around you.

19. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Released Oct 6, 2018, 09:43 Kxmode

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 21:46:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 19:29:
It's a black-and-white issue.

Man your whole post reads like one giant misunderstanding. You've clearly misread my post.

I didn't misread you post. Your not communicating well. It shouldn't take four posts to clarify your meanings.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 6, 2018, 07:51 Jonjonz

I have all the original Descent games and still load them up occasionally.

I have been glad to see these new attempts come out, but I have conservatively waited for reviews and to see if multiplayer would ever reach critical numbers. None of these new games has become a true "hit" or multiplayer magnet, so I have not bought them. Most of the reviews I have read barely talk about the level design or it's polish.

The thing about the original Descent series that was unique was the complexity of the maze like levels which made huge use of the vertical axis. The level design was usually very polished with hidden traps and hidden mob compartments with invisible triggers. Getting lost in the original Descent games was a huge part of the single player experience.

The thing is the originals still play really well today, and nothing that has come out recently appears to include great level design. The new games just seem to advance the eye candy somewhat.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

17. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 6, 2018, 03:02 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 21:30:
I missed the Overload sale the other day, but I'm dying to play it. The demo felt sooo good.

Wait for sale or or until the console versions are released if you're looking to play multiplayer. The multiplayer is essentially very dead at this point. Also if you are looking to do multiplayer it pays to join the discord channel, check the steam forum. Every week or so the devs/friends of devs have a play session if you're fast you can join one.

16. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 21:46 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 19:29:

Man your whole post reads like one giant misunderstanding. You've clearly misread my post. Here is what I said:

Star citizens devs have NO EXPERIENCE MAKING A DESCENT. Just because they worked on other games DOES NOT mean they would be a good developer for making descent. Knowledge of what makes descent a descent game is required to make one, aka knowledge regarding the ship ship physics and weapon design, the shit that is actually hard.

From what I've seen of descent underground it's a giant steaming pile, the levels look alright but the ship models, weapons and general universe is down right amateur level atrocious.

The whole thing with bringing mining into descent is just bad, bringing shit into descent that descent doesn't need. The original descent were basically were corridor action games verging on some horror elements deep underground with dark caverns and robot action divided into levels with end bosses and secret levels like traditional arcade games.

Star citizens devs want Descent to be something else but without the budget or manpower to make it happen.

15. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 21:30 jdreyer

I missed the Overload sale the other day, but I'm dying to play it. The demo felt sooo good.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 19:29 Kxmode

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 17:48:
I didn't mean "Steal" in the literal sense, I mean "reduce the funding for overload". AKA many people funding DU didn't grasp that the real descent developers were not making DU.

I understand what you mean with regards to Overload. The issue you have isn't about trademark ownership and more about how poorly the Revival Productions devs have marketed Overload. That has nothing to do with Descendent Studios. Though, I think Descendent Studios should at least mention them out of respect to the original creators of the IP.

A team with no past experience making descent and thereby if they fuck it up ruining or tarnishing the IP.

They worked on Wing Commander, Freelancer, Strike Commander, and many other 6DoF-like titles. They have the experience.

AKA descent got more funds because the star citizens guys got the trademark therefore the REAL developers didn't get as much money as they could have used to build a better descent.

They didn't get the trademark. Interplay's CEO licensed the IP to them. Interplay owns the brand.

AKA the people who really should have gotten that money didn't because of bad timing, so yeah the DU kickstarter ultimately hurt overload.

Revival Productions haven't received the IP because they've demanded ownership from the rightful owners: namely Interplay. Interplay published all three of those titles and is the rightful owner of it. It's they who gets to chose who gets to create a game with the Descent title, and they chose Descendent Studios.

13. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 17:48 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 16:24:
The reality is NO ONE stole anything.

I didn't mean "Steal" in the literal sense, I mean "reduce the funding for overload". AKA many people funding DU didn't grasp that the real descent developers were not making DU. A team with no past experience making descent and thereby if they fuck it up ruining or tarnishing the IP.

AKA descent got more funds because the star citizens guys got the trademark therefore the REAL developers didn't get as much money as they could have used to build a better descent. So that's what I mean.

AKA the people who really should have gotten that money didn't because of bad timing, so yeah the DU kickstarter ultimately hurt overload.

12. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 17:43 Suppa7

Nut wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 16:44:
Of course, reviews are subjective.

However, I'm surprised to hear anyone state this.

The consensus of enthusiasts loves Overload and rightly so. It's a great game and a worthy heir to the Descent-style 6DOF FPS genre.

That's because they are over-rating the game, the case of overload is a special case because descent players have been starving in a desert for 20 years, so that means their opinions need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just like when metroid prime was released, another over-rated game. It had been years since super metroid and metroid prime came along, when you get a healthy distance from the hype of the game you can see these games were not anywhere near what the gushing reviews said they were. Because of deprivation. When gamers have been waiting for a long time for a sequel to one of their favorite franchises they tend to over rate the game as a general rule.

The sales data from overload is pretty poor, and you can see the anemic multiplayer numbers. Let's not forget almost nobody knows that overload is descent remade except a tiny minority of elitists like ourselves.

I can't say I was too impressed with overload because the problem is they just remade descent but game dev has learned many lessons in 20 years with the rise of cinematic gaming, that means the standards for single player campaigns have skyrocketed way beyond the 90's SP campaigns of descent.

So yeah I was pretty disappointed with the end half of overloads story, it was good until near the end where shit just went stupid.

Also the complete lack of bosses like in previous descents were a big disappointment. The game felt like it needed more time in the oven and team descent basically pushed it out because they'd consumed their budget.

11. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 17:00 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 15:17:
I would generally take a different view. Would Overload ever have happened without Descent Underground's successful Kickstarter? Where were the original creators of Descent before that?
They had more than a decade to snag the license and crank out sequel after sequel but they didn't. You want to blame WingMan & co. for that? Dafuq?

The original creators of Descent were running Volition and Reactor Zero. Mike Kulas left Volition when it was clear the writing was on the wall for THQ and got the band back together to form Revival Productions. Of course they didn't secure the Descent brand beforehand, they were doing other things and weren't going to spend a pile of their own money on an IP they couldn't do anything with at the time.

Unimpressed as I am with Underground at this point, I don't take the line that they stole the IP, name or anyone's money. If anything, this project seems just more mismanaged to me than any kind of scam. But Overload didn't get the Descent name because the Revival Productions team were lazy, it was just the timing of it. And they've said to me directly that while it would have been nice to have the original name, they don't think lacking it has done much harm to Overload one way or the other.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

10. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 16:44 Nut

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 15:25:
Overload didn't really have enough manpower to make something special

Of course, reviews are subjective.

However, I'm surprised to hear anyone state this.

I couldn't disagree more. Overload is a fantastic game, if a bit hardcore, and incredibly fun, thick with good gameplay mechanics, and well executed.

The consensus of enthusiasts loves Overload and rightly so. It's a great game and a worthy heir to the Descent-style 6DOF FPS genre.

9. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 16:24 Kxmode

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 12:28:
The reality is this project stole the money, thunder and name the descent devs could have used. Almost nobody knows overload was released and the original devs only got 300K while the DU team got 600K. I was pissed that devs from star citizen basically stole the thunder for a descent remake because they were first and they had somehow gotten the descent trademark.

The reality is NO ONE stole anything. Eric Peterson's studio legally acquired The Descent name, likeness, and so forth from the CEO of Interplay who rightfully owns the IP. That's fair and legal.

8. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 15:25 Suppa7

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 15:17:
The devs of Overload and Descent get along well and respect each other.

Which means nothing when the people who are making the new descent are not skilled enough or ever have made a descent game before. The original developers had a hard time enough making descent as it was and they cocked up descent 3 something fierce and a bunch of new guys think they can make a descent game? I mean come on I looked at their models and I laughed. These guys are hacks I'm sorry to tell ya. While these guys may get along. As a fan of descent, I know what makes descent what it is, and the star citizen guys have no fucking clue so it's going to be a disaster.

The problem I have is with the ruining the descent brand by bringing their amateur work to the table. IF we want more descents then it would pay to not have a developer making descent who's never made one before because of they don't hit it out of the park, 6DOF will suffer again.

Overload didn't really have enough manpower to make something special they barely squeeked by and the multiplayer is dead because of the fucked up way they constructed multiplayer.

Watching the descent devs screw the pooch on multiplayer just was maddening, the whole industry has bought into the drm matchmaking coolaid instead of allowing people to start games and do something in the game while they are waiting for players to appear.

7. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 15:17 CJ_Parker

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 12:28:
The reality is this project stole the money, thunder and name the descent devs could have used. Almost nobody knows overload was released and the original devs only got 300K while the DU team got 600K. I was pissed that devs from star citizen basically stole the thunder for a descent remake because they were first and they had somehow gotten the descent trademark.

Dude, that "reality" is bullshit. First, there is no need to antagonize. The devs of Overload and Descent get along well and respect each other. WingMan has nothing but praise for Overload every time someone mentions it.

Secondly, Peterson and Irving got kicked out of SC. Descent Underground happened due to peculiar circumstances at the time. It did not happen because Descendant wanted to piss off the original Descent creators. What a silly notion.

I would generally take a different view. Would Overload ever have happened without Descent Underground's successful Kickstarter? Where were the original creators of Descent before that?
They had more than a decade to snag the license and crank out sequel after sequel but they didn't. You want to blame WingMan & co. for that? Dafuq?

No. I'd say Decent Underground paved the way for Overload. It proved that there was still an interest in 6DoF. The Decent Underground Kickstarter started almost a full year (11 months exactly) before the Overload Kickstarter. They paved the way.

It's the Overload guys' own dumb fault if they did not secure the license in the past decade or that they did not try their luck earlier... where were they during the 2012/2013 Kickstarter spree? They could have easily been first since Peterson & co. were hoping to be employed at CIG for years and years at that time.

These butthurt arguments ("but... but... it's not the original creators!!!111 boooohoooo") reminds me of the retarded shit surrounding the Fallout license.

No one (devs/publishers) gave a flying FUCK about Fallout for years and years and years.

Then comes Bethesda and buys the license and all of a sudden they are the devil incarnate for snagging the license before Obsidian, inXile or anyone else had a chance. Ummm... yeah. Dumb.

6. Re: Descent Underground Delayed; Resumes Testing; Changes Name? Oct 5, 2018, 14:51 Kxmode

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Mar 2016

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo