Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Limit Theory Cancelled

An update on Kickstarter says that development of Limit Theory is being cancelled, about six years after a Kickstarter campaign succeeded in raising over $180K to develop this procedurally generated space sim (thanks TechSpot via Neutronbeam). This will be painful news to backers, as this was a highly anticipated project, and you can sense the anguish this news causes Josh Parnell from his opening paragraph: "It is with a heart of lead that I write this announcement. Not in my darkest nightmares did I expect this day to ever come, but circumstances have reached a point that even my endless optimism can no longer rectify. I can not finish Limit Theory." Josh explains that in spite of the crowdfunding, the project is out of money, and that he has also exhausted his personal savings. He also reveals the personal toll of working as lone developer: "But significantly more troubling is that I am entirely out of energy -- emotionally, mentally, even physically." Going forward, Josh outlines plans to release the source code while he braces for blowback on the news. Here's a bit more:

So, what now?

Well, I will prepare the source code for release. It's not a working game, and in my frenzy to get things working I've left huge swaths of code in a half-refactored or half-complete state. But releasing it is the least I can do. I don't imagine it will be of any use to anyone, other than as a monument to a failed dream. Perhaps those who are interested in game engines will glean a thing or two from the engine, as it is a fairly solid piece of engineering, much more solid than the Lua game code.

For the moment, though, I wanted to get this off my chest as soon as possible. It has been the most painful, difficult decision of my life, and I'm sure that there will be no shortage of blowback. But I simply cannot continue to destroy myself in search of a feat of which I am not capable. When I began this project, I felt that anything was possible. Here now, at the end, I must swallow the painful reality that: I, too, am human. I am limited by time, I am limited by finances, and I am limited by mental & emotional stamina.

One last time, I would like to thank everyone who contributed. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for believing in Limit Theory. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try for something wonderful. One last time, I am so sincerely sorry for having let you down. I hope, at the very least, that some of you have enjoyed the ride as I've pitted my brain over the years against one challenge after the next.

I'll be in touch when I have readied the source code for release.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 7, 2018, 11:35 RedEye9

He's incapable of change.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 7, 2018, 04:34 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 23:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 23:08:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 17:32:
It's a shame. He's obviously quite intelligent, and his good posts are really good.
He's a pathetic moron and I'm glad to be rid of him. Hopefully a few others will follow.
I'm guessing JD was going for sarcasm. Wonder what the record for fewest posts before being banned is? Twenty two has to be in the neighborhood...

I've seen advert accounts banned after 3 or 4 comments.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

60. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 6, 2018, 23:29 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 23:08:
It's a shame. He's obviously quite intelligent, and his good posts are really good.
He's a pathetic moron and I'm glad to be rid of him. Hopefully a few others will follow.
I'm guessing JD was going for sarcasm. Wonder what the record for fewest posts before being banned is? Twenty two has to be in the neighborhood...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

59. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 6, 2018, 23:08 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 12:20:
ForgedReality wrote on Oct 5, 2018, 10:09:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 20:23:
What's the over/under until he gets banned. I say he'll never reach 500 posts.
I dunno. At the rate he's going, he may reach that figure in this thread alone.
And he's gone.

58. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 6, 2018, 17:32 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 12:20:
And he's gone.

57. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 6, 2018, 12:20 RedEye9

And he's gone.

56. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 6, 2018, 00:12 d r m a m u

oh look - ive got a fan club

no... no autographs for you

just throw money

55. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 5, 2018, 10:09 ForgedReality

Quboid wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 16:21:
d r m a m u wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 16:12:
ignored

space_captain?
harlock calls it. 0.02 dismissive wanks given.

What's the over/under until he get banned. I say he'll never reach 500 posts.

54. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 5, 2018, 10:07 ForgedReality

d r m a m u wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 19:18:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 16:19:
Having a vast procedural generated galaxy doesn't amount to much when there's no point or purpose to it all.

it all fits in with this dudes malformed psyche... i could say a lot more but whats the point

as i said already long ago, im expecting him to recoup his losses by being hired as some kind of middleware code-monkey.. and im fully expecting him to parlay that into his next kickstarter game which will be totally different, pinky promise, etc. yadda yadda

its too bad he couldnt approach the majesty of Battleship AD 5000 or whatever, it was insane but at least it shipped

Two questions:

Why are you so fucking cancerously negative?

And why can't you capitalize your sentences or use apostrophes ever?

-Your concerned audience

53. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 21:19 Quboid

d r m a m u wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 19:11:
looks i got back right in the (proverbial) nick of time

to remind everyone how i called this shit oh so many years ago

which of course gives me many feels

space_captain?

no, Im Derek Smart

Uh huh. Well, welcome back and don't bother unpacking.

52. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 21:07 jdreyer

d r m a m u wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 20:57:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 19:26:
d r m a m u wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 16:18:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 13:34:
He hired two developers a year ago. They recently departed. I assume because Josh ran out of cash to pay them.

the writing was on the wall the day he was fucking hospitalized because he couldnt cope with game dev

Except that he recovered from that 3 years ago. I don't think it was obvious that the project was doomed after his episode.

naw man... it was symptomatic - the event in itself is not the real issue (much like trump)

high drama + high ambition + fragile mind = not a recipe for pressure cooked success

just because it wasnt obvious to you from that point doesnt mean anything other than the fact that you werent able to recognize the symptoms... but plenty of people did

Fair enough. It did in fact work out as you predicted, sadly.

51. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 21:03 Creston

Hey space captain, you been gone awhile.  

50. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 20:57 d r m a m u

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 19:26:
He hired two developers a year ago. They recently departed. I assume because Josh ran out of cash to pay them.

the writing was on the wall the day he was fucking hospitalized because he couldnt cope with game dev

Except that he recovered from that 3 years ago. I don't think it was obvious that the project was doomed after his episode.

naw man... it was symptomatic - the event in itself is not the real issue (much like trump)

high drama + high ambition + fragile mind = not a recipe for pressure cooked success

just because it wasnt obvious to you from that point doesnt mean anything other than the fact that you werent able to recognize the symptoms... but plenty of people did

49. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 20:24 bigspender

It's a shame, the game looked good, and I think that is what the problem was. It appears that he spent a lot of time on polishing things (which is something you do at the end, not at the start) instead of putting in the core of the game.  

48. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 20:23 RedEye9

ignored

space_captain?
harlock calls it. 0.02 dismissive wanks given.

What's the over/under until he get banned. I say he'll never reach 500 posts.

47. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 19:34 Kxmode

d r m a m u wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 19:11:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 18:33:
Hope the guy doesn't commit suicide. That would suck. Nobody, not even backers, should push him to that point, and if they do they're pond scum. POND SCUM I say!

such a flippant disregard for human life... and you call yourself a christian? SHAME!! SHAME ON YOU!!

go say 432,000 hail marys and 144,000 el diablos

What the actual .... ?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

46. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 19:29 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 18:33:
Hope the guy doesn't commit suicide. That would suck. Nobody, not even backers, should push him to that point, and if they do they're pond scum. POND SCUM I say!

He won't. He's got a strong community that supports him. Most recognize he was shooting for the moon and gave it his best shot.

45. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 19:27 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 11:24:
I followed this project for years. It's a shame nothing came of it. He seems close to alpha: the engine is in good shape, the AI and economy we're coming along. In the end his reach exceeded his grasp. Hopefully a team of talented modders can finish this up. There's still potential here.

I watched the pitch vid, and I kept saying, "Please don't be a teen. Please don't be a teen." It would be way too easy to explain the issues. All the intelligence and programming smarts in the world do not account for knowledge and experience required to produce video games (and all the more so for procedurally generated on a proprietary engine). "When I began this project, I felt that anything was possible. Here now, at the end, I must swallow the painful reality that: I, too, am human. I am limited by time, I am limited by finances, and I am limited by mental & emotional stamina." This statement sums up the ignorance of most teens and young people today who think anything is possible but remain too ignorant to realize that they can't. It's maddening because had he pitched this as a hobby project with an optional donation via Paypal or Patreon that would be one thing, but he did this with other people's money. No, he didn't scam people. However, let's be real: he pitched a product, people paid for the product promised by him. They didn't pay for source code. I guess what I'm saying is in certain situations, crowdfunding is a terrible choice for both backers and creators.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

44. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 19:26 jdreyer

43. Re: Limit Theory Cancelled Oct 4, 2018, 19:18 d r m a m u

DangerDog wrote on Oct 4, 2018, 16:19:
Having a vast procedural generated galaxy doesn't amount to much when there's no point or purpose to it all.

it all fits in with this dudes malformed psyche... i could say a lot more but whats the point

as i said already long ago, im expecting him to recoup his losses by being hired as some kind of middleware code-monkey.. and im fully expecting him to parlay that into his next kickstarter game which will be totally different, pinky promise, etc. yadda yadda

its too bad he couldnt approach the majesty of Battleship AD 5000 or whatever, it was insane but at least it shipped

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo