Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month

EGOSOFT announces a November 30th release date for X4: FOUNDATIONS, the next installment in their spaceship series. Word is: "X4: FOUNDATIONS brings our most sophisticated universe SIMULATION ever. MANAGE an empire or EXPLORE space in first person. FLY EVERY SHIP! TRADE and FIGHT to BUILD your empire with modular station construction and THINK carefully when embarking on an epic journey." They also offer two new videos, a new trailer with an overview and another video showing off gameplay. The details they offer include how to preorder if you so desire and word that an expansion will follow in about a year:
X4: Foundations will feature an extremely large universe from day one.
Home to several factions of the Argon, Teladi and Paranid races, each with multiple complex economies.
The Paranid, for example, are a race with very deep religious beliefs, fractured into two competing empires and now raging war against each other.

Then there are of course also a lot of other potential adversaries:
Those where you have a choice, like different Pirate factions, and those where you don’t, like the infamous Xenon: A race of advanced artificial general intelligence, once built by mankind themselves to help colonise space.

There will be Expansions, which will bring more races, their ships, stations and lots of missions into the X4 Universe. Our goal is to bring the first big Expansion within about one year.

X4: FOUNDATIONS preorder and digital Collector’s Edition:

X4: FOUNDATIONS will be available for $49.99 (€49.99) on November 30th.
Starting today you can pre-order the digital Collector's Edition and get:

• Exclusive pre-order paint mod (*requires egosoft community account connected with Steam account)
  • First Expansion planned release in 2019
  • Second Expansion planned release tba.
  • The X Universe Digital Artbook 2018: Enjoy the concept art behind the X universe.
  • X Novel: Nopileos by Helge Kautz as English and German eBook.
  • Digital Soundtrack: The music, including exclusive versions of the trailer and teaser music in highest possible quality.

The Collector’s Edition of X4: FOUNDATIONS can be preordered now for the discounted pre-order price of $74.99 (€74.99) at: Egosoft’s own online store or from Steam:

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 3, 2018, 15:23 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 10:05:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 06:07:
Hmm. Of course it is going to be buggy. I preordered X3 back in the day, it arrived on a Saturday. It was officially release on Friday but there were a few lucky souls who even got it on Thursday. Although I'm not sure if they were really lucky since the game crashed when you tried to leave Argon Prime, the first sector in the game.

Yeah, that was a fun one. Also, their sound engine was absolutely fucked on release, but they patched that within like a day or so. My absolute "favorite" bug of X3, however, was the bug that existed that would keep bloating your universe and savegame until it became absolutely unplayable after about 20 hours or so. It took them like 3 weeks to track that one down, I think I restarted like six times...

Of course I reached the end of the story and THAT was absolutely bugged, too. Left me in the sector just in my suit, 28km away from the next ship or station or something like that. Took some time until that was patched and I had to use a savegame from a few hours before the last mission.

I'd forgotten about that one! That was hilarious. At least until you realized you were literally like 9 hours away from getting back to anywhere.

After all this time X:Rebirth isn't fixed, though I managed to play through that game this year. And it was actually kinda fun.

? I played Rebirth this past January somewhere, and it worked fine? I don't think I ran into any bugs, just a few weird triggers for missions that were pretty finicky.

Yeah, I kinda want to preorder this game although preordering is a big no-no (with a few exceptions).

If you do, let us know how stupidly bugged it is at release.

Sure thing! I just hope that I'll be able to find some time to do so. Will probably play it during Christmas at the latest, since we are forced to take vacation then.

Rebirth was fine for the most part, but there were a few bugs like the video and the audio not in sync (during cutscenes) or friendly/enemy AI behaving strangely (for example not moving when getting shot, either be me or someone else). Stuff like that. It worked for the most part, though. Actually had fun. I do miss the old X2/X3 style of playing, though. When I first played X2 it blew me away (I only played the first X game very briefly).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 3, 2018, 10:06 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 19:44:
They are certainly pulling all the punches, announcing not 1 but 2 expansions already and posting in their forums that optimization and polish "is not on the table until after release" ^^ Don't you feel pampered to by Egosoft yet?

Hmmmm, yeah, I'm gonna let somebody else pay to be a beta tester.

32. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 3, 2018, 10:05 Creston

Hmm. Of course it is going to be buggy. I preordered X3 back in the day, it arrived on a Saturday. It was officially release on Friday but there were a few lucky souls who even got it on Thursday. Although I'm not sure if they were really lucky since the game crashed when you tried to leave Argon Prime, the first sector in the game.

Yeah, that was a fun one. Also, their sound engine was absolutely fucked on release, but they patched that within like a day or so. My absolute "favorite" bug of X3, however, was the bug that existed that would keep bloating your universe and savegame until it became absolutely unplayable after about 20 hours or so. It took them like 3 weeks to track that one down, I think I restarted like six times...

Of course I reached the end of the story and THAT was absolutely bugged, too. Left me in the sector just in my suit, 28km away from the next ship or station or something like that. Took some time until that was patched and I had to use a savegame from a few hours before the last mission.

I'd forgotten about that one! That was hilarious. At least until you realized you were literally like 9 hours away from getting back to anywhere.

After all this time X:Rebirth isn't fixed, though I managed to play through that game this year. And it was actually kinda fun.

? I played Rebirth this past January somewhere, and it worked fine? I don't think I ran into any bugs, just a few weird triggers for missions that were pretty finicky.

Yeah, I kinda want to preorder this game although preordering is a big no-no (with a few exceptions).

If you do, let us know how stupidly bugged it is at release.

31. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 3, 2018, 09:54 Turd Ferguson

Finally Space LEGS! Ohh right wrong game, lol

Oh how I wish Frontier would take a page out of other titles out there and "borrowed" some ideas and mechanics, for example the GTA radio style news system...gah.

X4 looks very promising! Hated every other X game tho, so fingers crossed this will win my little black heart Grin

30. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 3, 2018, 08:01 eRe4s3r

I'm itching to preorder this game. I really do.

Luckily they patched that pretty quickly. I don't remember whether they burned the midnight oil and it was already fixed on Sunday but it was rather quick.

By the way, this is how Egosoft shuts down any discussion about silly game features (or even questions about them)

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=400509

Just saying ;p

If you ever wondered how X games could go down the drain this much, this kind of forum culture is why. And yes, I am totally abusing my site presence here to maybe bring a few more eyes to this, because I truly HATE walking around in X games

29. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 3, 2018, 06:07 yuastnav

I'm itching to preorder this game. I really do.

Luckily they patched that pretty quickly. I don't remember whether they burned the midnight oil and it was already fixed on Sunday but it was rather quick.

28. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 19:44 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 17:10:
Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 14:38:
Oh I gotcha now. I think that 4 years is their turn around time. But at least this engine isn't new to them and they seem to have made some steps forward. They still have two months left to finish up and ship something worthwhile. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be pants-shittingly awesome, but Rebirth left a really bad taste in my mouth (especially when Steam offered refunds for it, but I couldn't get one because I bought directly from Egosoft in an effort to give them more money, and they were like "Fuck you, no refunds on our literally incomplete alpha build.") They're gonna have to win me back.

They are certainly pulling all the punches, announcing not 1 but 2 expansions already and posting in their forums that optimization and polish "is not on the table until after release" ^^ Don't you feel pampered to by Egosoft yet?

27. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 17:10 Creston

Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 14:38:
Oh I gotcha now. I think that 4 years is their turn around time. But at least this engine isn't new to them and they seem to have made some steps forward. They still have two months left to finish up and ship something worthwhile. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be pants-shittingly awesome, but Rebirth left a really bad taste in my mouth (especially when Steam offered refunds for it, but I couldn't get one because I bought directly from Egosoft in an effort to give them more money, and they were like "Fuck you, no refunds on our literally incomplete alpha build.") They're gonna have to win me back.

26. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 14:38 Slashman

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 12:26:
Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 11:39:
It did NOT come out of nowhere. They had a long video last year and detailed a lot of the game systems. And then another shorter one showcasing the station builder.

They didn't do lot of public advertising but it was not a 'OMG sudden thing!". I'm not saying that it will be good but please at least think before you open your mouth to talk about it.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. The GAME didn't come out of nowhere, it was announced like four years ago. The RELEASE came out of nowhere. Last we'd heard they were still in Alpha.

25. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 13:00 HardCore74

"Maybe when SC goes belly up they can buy up and integrate those assets."

Also this.

24. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:30 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 12:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 10:24:
This really smells like Early Access Rebirth 2.0 all over again, if a game were finished you wouldn't show a trailer with placeholder art.

I didn't mean that ALL of it was placeholder, there's just some pretty low-res textures here and there. But yeah, I know the humanoids aren't placeholder, they're just going to, AGAIN, be shitty because nobody at Egosoft has apparently ever seen another human being.

Inorganic stuff is pretty straight forward to do in CG, while organic stuff is hard. Just look at movie FX. The creatures all look like cartoons, but the CG rock and water is so good you don't even know it's CG.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:28 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 10:18:
One thing I don't understand is why they put additional development effort into being able to walk around space stations and ships. As far as I remember from X Rebirth, the space station gameplay was by far the most hated part of the game. Now in X4 they mentioned being able to stealthily infiltrate stations in order to steal technology. What X fans really care to do this? This is a spaceship sim, not a stealth game. I would have preferred if they got rid of walking around space stations entirely and focused development elsewhere.

Wherein X has gone full "Star Citizen." Bigcry

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:26 Creston

Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 11:39:
It did NOT come out of nowhere. They had a long video last year and detailed a lot of the game systems. And then another shorter one showcasing the station builder.

They didn't do lot of public advertising but it was not a 'OMG sudden thing!". I'm not saying that it will be good but please at least think before you open your mouth to talk about it.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. The GAME didn't come out of nowhere, it was announced like four years ago. The RELEASE came out of nowhere. Last we'd heard they were still in Alpha.

21. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:26 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 08:30:

Finally, even after 15 years, they still haven't hired a single guy who can make a decent humanoid model? I understand it's not the focus of the game, but for fuck's sake, guys. All your races' models look like shit. They have looked like shit since the days of the original X. How can you look at this in 2018 and go "Yeah, that's fine"??

Maybe when SC goes belly up they can buy up and integrate those assets.

20. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:24 Creston

One thing I don't understand is why they put additional development effort into being able to walk around space stations and ships. As far as I remember from X Rebirth, the space station gameplay was by far the most hated part of the game. Now in X4 they mentioned being able to stealthily infiltrate stations in order to steal technology. What X fans really care to do this? This is a spaceship sim, not a stealth game. I would have preferred if they got rid of walking around space stations entirely and focused development elsewhere.

I believe they had said earlier that it's optional, you can bypass it if you don't want to. The thing about Rebirth was that there were a grand total of like 2 station models, and you could steal everything right in sight of a guard without any worry whatsoever. So the stations got super boring in a hurry. Here it looks like everything they've built is able to be walked on, so it should be more interesting to see from a discovery / immersion point of view.

If you can actually sneak and steal stuff, and have to worry about getting arrested, it might be cool for a bit. As long as you don't HAVE to do it. I have to admit the thought of sneaking to find intel seemed pretty cool, but I do doubt Egosoft's ability to pull that off in any kind of convincing manner.

19. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:23 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 08:06:
New engine and time to work on it says no. I have a really good feeling about this one.

I hope you're right, but it flies in the face of history. Nearly every single one of their games has shipped a buggy mess.

18. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:19 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 10:24:
This really smells like Early Access Rebirth 2.0 all over again, if a game were finished you wouldn't show a trailer with placeholder art.

I didn't mean that ALL of it was placeholder, there's just some pretty low-res textures here and there. But yeah, I know the humanoids aren't placeholder, they're just going to, AGAIN, be shitty because nobody at Egosoft has apparently ever seen another human being.

17. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 11:39 Slashman

...I'm quite a bit worried that this is a "Shit, we're out of money, let's just release it before the Xmas period!" move.

It definitely seems like this is the case, considering, like you said, this launch came out of nowhere. I fully expect the game to be a buggy mess that doesn't perform very well at launch. At least I know that they will continue to patch the game well into the future (as long as they have enough funds).

16. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 10:24 eRe4s3r

Holy shit, that came out of nowhere. Other than one video like last year, there's been nothing about this, so I'm quite a bit worried that this is a "Shit, we're out of money, let's just release it before the Xmas period!" move.

I will get this, but not at release. They burned me too much with Rebirth. (which, after they finally fixed all of it, is actually a pretty decent game.) Even so, it's X, I love X, and I will play, but I'm going to wait a few months until they've fixed 80% of all outstanding bugs, and there's only 500 bugs left.

I mean, what else am I going to play in March? Anthem? Rotfl

Edit: I like how it looks (placeholder graphics notwithstanding). I REALLY like the new station builder, it looks like you're going to be able to build some really freaking awesome things with that.

I'm also glad they finally decided to just skip the main story, since it was typically pretty terrible, but on the flipside I do worry that every mission will feel the same now, as so far Egosoft has never been able to develop a random mission generator that feels anything more than a "Fly to point A, kill B". So I guess we'll have to wait and see how that's going to work out.

Finally, even after 15 years, they still haven't hired a single guy who can make a decent humanoid model? I understand it's not the focus of the game, but for fuck's sake, guys. All your races' models look like shit. They have looked like shit since the days of the original X. How can you look at this in 2018 and go "Yeah, that's fine"??

Actually they looked great in X³, because there weren't any animations.... and even better, they release a trailer with this in and containing placeholder art 2 months before release. That art isn't placeholder.

Like many I think Egosoft lost track of what made X3 good. Walking around on the fucking bridges of ships most definitely NOT. Especially not if this becomes somehow mandatory. And I have the looming feeling you can't just instant swap between ships from the start either. And there are so many things that they didn't show here as well.

And again, 2 months before release new features are NOT gonna be added and art is in the final pass already.

15. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 10:18 Desalus

...I'm quite a bit worried that this is a "Shit, we're out of money, let's just release it before the Xmas period!" move.

It definitely seems like this is the case, considering, like you said, this launch came out of nowhere. I fully expect the game to be a buggy mess that doesn't perform very well at launch. At least I know that they will continue to patch the game well into the future (as long as they have enough funds).

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >