Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

After years of trying to refine the rules and replay process, how is it that NFL officiating seems to have hit an all-time low this season? My Giants got screwed nicely a couple of times, but this is not just a personal perspective. There were crazy blown calls that affected a number of games, and as far as I'm concerned, the Lions and Browns each suffered losses as a result. Not sure what the solution is here, but it feels like there's too much to interpret, and that officiating crews are just guessing at times, which is immensely frustrating.

Officiated Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Protect the Dojo.
Links: Jan Brady Funko Pop! sold with George Glass, her fictional boyfriend.
Media: Watch Adam Driver Parody 'Fortnite' In This Hilarious 'Saturday Night Live' Sketch.
Real Lawyer Reacts to Better Call Saul (Episode 1).
First Trailer: Elton John Biopic "Rocketman."
The Funnies: Slow Phone - FoxTrot.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2018, 04:49 Muscular Beaver

Sad what has become of SNL. Once the funniest stuff you could watch, now their best stuff is borderline cringe, and the worst stuff is like a Pinhead facepalm.  

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 23:31 1badmf

in other news. that was a helluva game in denver just now. i was only watching cuz i have mahomes on my fantasy team, but damn that kid can ball. breaking broncos fans' hearts with every flush out pass.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 15:38 Mr. Tact

Jivaro wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 15:27:
Wow, so now I am confused.
Exactly. I spent 15 minutes or so going back and forth on the DVR trying to make sense of it without success.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 15:27 Jivaro

Wow, so now I am confused. I don't know how to make sense of it other than purely referee error.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 15:22 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 13:19:
Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 13:02:
That Browns game was great.
Bummer the Browns were also on the "we got screwed by the refs" list with that first down reversal...

Even the Raiders fan base knows Cleveland got screwed on that play. That was absurd. A candidate for worst pro referee call that I have witnessed.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 14:56 Mr. Tact

Jivaro wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 14:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 11:35:
Hmm, that would mean crackback blocks were allowed on kicking plays? That doesn't sound right. But an error with either making the correct call, or imposing the penalty incorrectly is certainly within the possible.
If I am thinking of the same play you are, which I am pretty certain I am given the unique circumstances, Al Michaels pointed out during the broadcast that the referee had not made the call correctly. He called it a crackback but what he meant was illegal block in the back. (which it wasn't either..but whatever) Even so..I still don't understand the ball placement. Maybe someone else does but I am confused even with remembering what Al said.
Hmm, if Al Michaels said that, I missed it. I did hear one of the announcers say it was going to be 3rd down and 19 and then corrected himself to 3rd down and 4 when it was displayed on the monitor. It was not explained why it wasn't 3rd down and 19. Even if it was a block in the back, according to this wiki page (second penalty in the table list of penalties) a block in the back is not a spot foul. The main thing which caused this thing to be weird is the crackback being is a spot foul. Unfortunately, "crackback block" is not in that list... Oh, and FWIW the play by play at ESPN listed the play as,
(8:28 - 2nd) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to A.Brown pushed ob at BLT 19 for 17 yards (E.Weddle). PENALTY on PIT-J.Conner, Illegal Crackback, 15 yards, enforced at BLT 21.
You can see yourself here.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 14:50 Burrito of Peace

And this is why I watch IMSA racing. A modicum of sensible rules and then back off to let the drivers race.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 14:29 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 11:35:
Hmm, that would mean crackback blocks were allowed on kicking plays? That doesn't sound right. But an error with either making the correct call, or imposing the penalty incorrectly is certainly within the possible.

If I am thinking of the same play you are, which I am pretty certain I am given the unique circumstances, Al Michaels pointed out during the broadcast that the referee had not made the call correctly. He called it a crackback but what he meant was illegal block in the back. (which it wasn't either..but whatever) Even so..I still don't understand the ball placement. Maybe someone else does but I am confused even with remembering what Al said.

8. Re: Fortnite on SNL Oct 1, 2018, 14:13 RedEye9

afka Rossini wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 13:19:
The Fortnite sketch was one of the funniest things I've seen on SNL in a while. Maybe because it hits far too close to home.
Matt Damon also did a good Beer brett Kavanaugh impression during the cold open.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 13:19 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 13:02:
That Browns game was great.
Bummer the Browns were also on the "we got screwed by the refs" list with that first down reversal...

6. Re: Fortnite on SNL Oct 1, 2018, 13:19 afka Rossini

The Fortnite sketch was one of the funniest things I've seen on SNL in a while. Maybe because it hits far too close to home.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 13:02 Cutter

The helmet and QB sacking rules are way too open atm. Unless it's a glaringly obvious transgression just let them play. Besides that scheisse, I've been pretty impressed with the quality of football all around so far. Several teams - Rams, Bears, Lions, Browns - all look surprisingly much better this year. That Browns game was great.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 11:55 Darks

The problem is, the NFL is trying to control the games way to much. they have put in so many rules that even the refs dont know how to interpret the rules and when to throw a flag. so they side on the error of caution and throw it and let NY figure it out. and they cant even seem to get it right.

I've gotten the the point where I dont even watch the games anymore. to many rules and far to much politics involved for my liking.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 11:35 Mr. Tact

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 11:31  Blue 

I didn't see the play, but I'm not sure how this could happen. I thought an illegal crackback block only happened within five yards of either side of the line of scrimmage?  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 10:33 Mr. Tact

Did any of the NFL fans catch/notice the odd play in the second quarter of the Ravens/Steelers game? The announcers managed to ignore it (they may not have understood what happened). The Steelers had the ball on the Ravens 36 yd line, and it was 3rd down and 4 yd to go. The Steelers completed a pass to Brown for a 17 yd gain. However, another Steeler WR was called for a personal foul during the play. What was the result? 3rd down and 19 at the Steeler 49, right? Wrong. The result was 3rd down and 4, at the Raven 36. Why? Because the foul called was a "crackback block" foul, which is a spot foul. The foul was committed 15 yd down field from the line of scrimmage. When the penalty was assessed, the ball was moved 15 yd back from the spot of the foul, which just happened to be the original line of scrimmage, and the down was replayed. Hence, the Steelers committed a personal foul and the penalty was effectively nothing. Every other offensive foul I can think of would have caused more damage to the Steelers than this personal foul did.

Personal fouls are supposedly serious fouls, so what is going on here? Well, basically it is a loophole in the rules. Crackback blocks usually happen on either a kick-off or a punt and are committed by the receiving team. Since there is no line of scrimmage for the team committing the foul, it makes sense the foul would be a spot foul. On those occasions when crackback blocks happen from a scrimmage play, the foul is usually committed by a lineman within a yard or two behind or in front of the scrimmage line, so a 15 yd spot foul works fine. This penalty basically is the 1 in 100 (or whatever the appropriate number is) which is outside these norms.

The NFL needs to fill this gap in the rules. It would seem the easy thing to do would be to make crackback blocks a spot foul during kicking plays, but to apply them against the line of scrimmage when called during a play from scrimmage. Or they could change their minds and decide crackback blocks are not personal fouls.

TL;DR -- a loophole in NFL rules allowed the Steelers to commit a personal foul essentially without any penalty.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo