Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer

NVIDIA offers this trailer showing Metro Exodus running with GeForce RTX real-time ray tracing (thanks Sean). The clip shows off global illumination effects. Here's the description:

4A Games are bringing real-time Ray Tracing to Metro Exodus!

At NVIDIA’s Gaming Celebration event in Cologne, it was revealed how 4A Games would use NVIDIA RTX to deliver true Global Illumination – in this extended tech demo, Ben Archard from 4A Games explains how it all works.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 22:59 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 15:02:
Beautiful game. It just seems like the Ray tracing makes most of the textures far less detailed though.

True GI does not work with normal maps without an extra light source, pixel dome area lights do not cast shadows in this implementation, so normal maps are flattened by them since the only shadowing comes from GI + AO. That's what you see here, any "bump" you see is from a displacement map any bump you don't see is a normal map that has no point light in range. It's a huge issue if you render with textures from games, GI is used to give your scene a tone, but it is never used the way they use it here, because you want to have control over the various bump effects in your textures even as far as rim-lightning, 3 point and other effects.

Even better, you can't just stop using normal maps either, because anyone not using RTX is otherwise not gonna see much of anything. Displacement maps can be used on geometry but they are not "detail" textures.

The more I look into RTX the less I like it (as an artist) ;/

By the way, even a single light source (like the sun) can often not be enough to make your normal maps and bump textures look nice because any area not hit by that light ray is not gonna have ANY shader interaction aside from color and brightness (unless it's reflective).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 15:02 Creston

Beautiful game. It just seems like the Ray tracing makes most of the textures far less detailed though.  

10. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 04:16 eRe4s3r

at 4:01 you can see the raytracer implementation breaking, in the locker, pixelation artifacts indicating much too low sample rate (and thus pixels flipping from full illu to 0 illu) or basically a black cloud of pixels.  

9. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 03:01 NKD

Looks good. Hopefully in a couple card generations they'll get the performance to where its not such a huge hit. Right now I'm not sure it would be worth turning down a bunch of other settings just to get good FPS with the raytracing.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

8. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 02:57 VaranDragon

Lord Tea wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 01:24:
Is it just me or does the FPS take a gigantic hit when RT is on? Gigantic as in bearable in a tech demo but not in an actual gameplay scenario. Considering this is a >1000 € 2080 Ti struggling at only 1080p.... ouch.

It's not you. It's very noticable in this demo.

7. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 02:22 El Pit

$1,440 over here for the ASUS Turbo GeFroce RTX 2080 Ti - for good framerates at 1080p with raytracing turned on? No. It is nice to see the first baby steps being made into a new technology, but I can't afford to kickstart it. Sorry. It is just too much money asked for a tech that needs another two or three years to be marketable.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

6. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 01:24 Lord Tea

Is it just me or does the FPS take a gigantic hit when RT is on? Gigantic as in bearable in a tech demo but not in an actual gameplay scenario. Considering this is a >1000 € 2080 Ti struggling at only 1080p.... ouch.  
Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

5. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 18, 2018, 22:40 Cutter

Agreed. Some of it looks better on and some of it looks better off. A lot of times with it on everything looks oversaturated. At any rate the 2080 TI is $1650 here - plus 13% tax for a grand total of $1864.50. Almost 2 grand for some better lighting? Uh I think I'll pass.

That aside, really looking forward to this game. Just finished Exodus and now am restarting Last Light.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

4. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 18, 2018, 21:54 RedEye9

Digitalfiends wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:28:
Some of the scenes looked better with ray-tracing off whereas at other times it looked better with it on.
My thoughts exactly. It needs some more time in the oven.
But now i have a better understanding of what ray tracing is.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 18, 2018, 21:36 SlimRam

I didn't really understand all the hoopla behind ray tracing...now I do.

Damn.

2. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 18, 2018, 21:28 Digitalfiends

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Some of the scenes looked better with ray-tracing off whereas at other times it looked better with it on. Still, it's only going to get better (and easier for developers to use effects that previously would have required some shader trickery).

dizave wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:04:
Man, this tech does not show off very well. Don't get me wrong, this game looking like it's going to be really fun and it looks great already. The tomb raider demo was a joke when they unveiled these new cards.

1. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 18, 2018, 21:04 dizave

Man, this tech does not show off very well. Don't get me wrong, this game looking like it's going to be really fun and it looks great already. The tomb raider demo was a joke when they unveiled these new cards.

With that said one gaming moment I will never forget was in Metro Last Light in the subway tunnel when you are forced off the rail car and run into the spiders. That was some shit i'll never forget and I can't wait to see what they do with this.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo