Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2018, 04:05 Mordecai Walfish

We had pretty great "communal experiences" at the recent midnight showings of pulp fiction and the labyrinth. everybodys sneaking in the snacks and drinks =)  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: McQueen: Don't Watch Movies On Laptops. Sep 14, 2018, 02:51 jdreyer

Armengar wrote on Sep 14, 2018, 02:06:
over the summer kids wanted to watch incredibles 2. I have a 30% discount card at the cinema (free with work phone contract). Even with the discount card (which also works of food and drink) it cost me 30 for 4 of us. Holy moses.

Film had been out about 2 weeks and the place was a ghost town, probably a dozen people.

It was the second highest grossing movie of the summer after Infinity war. It made more than $600M domestically. That's a lot of dough.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: McQueen: Don't Watch Movies On Laptops. Sep 14, 2018, 02:06 Armengar

over the summer kids wanted to watch incredibles 2. I have a 30% discount card at the cinema (free with work phone contract). Even with the discount card (which also works of food and drink) it cost me 30 for 4 of us. Holy moses.

Film had been out about 2 weeks and the place was a ghost town, probably a dozen people.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

13. McQueen: Don't Watch Movies On Laptops. Sep 13, 2018, 18:35 Burrito of Peace

I get what Mike Ryan is trying to say but he completely ignores what many people, including some here on this site, have a problem with at the theater and that is other human beings.

I don't give a damn if your film is so finely crafted that in a thousand years they will build theater temples and only play that film while millions weep in pure joy, you're not going to get rid of the problem that human beings are, inherently, dicks. Many are tired of other people being dicks in public and technology has advanced to the point where we no longer have to put up with dickish behavior simply to entertain ourselves.

That doesn't even begin to cover the ridiculous cost at the concession stand.

There's just no value anymore in going to a theater to see a movie.

12. Re: Apple discontinues iPhone X, iPhone SE, and iPhone 6s, the last phones with headphone jacks Sep 13, 2018, 17:57 El Pit

At least the priests of the church of Apple don't invade your homes to take the iPhone you bought away from you like they do it with movies you "bought".

I will never "buy" an Apple product. NEVER.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 17:19 Cutter

The only time you'll ever experience that communal feeling is either a very intelligent film in limited release that's only going to cater to a very small and non-mainstream audience, or classics at a rep cinema. That's it. All the mainstream movie theaters and movies are a horror show when put together.

And X7, do you have a turlet in your Lay-Z-Boy? Heh, actually I've been strongly considering getting one of those myself.

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 17:14 RedEye9

Thanks for the Shame recommendation, I put it on my watch list.  

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 17:03 Beamer

Flatline wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 16:30:
Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 15:47:
When you read the actual interview (from Mike Ryan, who I kind of love), it doesn't come across as it does here. He's talking more grandly, that this is the best way to experience a film. It doesn't read like "you're doing it wrong" but "when we make movies, this is the experience we have in mind."

Mike's interviews are always very informal and go all over the place - people often complain his interviews are more about him than the subject, but he can get people to say some interesting things. They come across very much as conversations.

Also, Shame was an amazing film.

You know... My family for 2 or 3 generations worked in the movie industry, and I can say that the experience he's talking about is... at best... rare. Something you might see on opening weekend for a blockbuster. 90% of the life of a movie in cinemas though is at best maybe 20 people in the theater. The days of a movie staying in theaters for 6 months and having huge crowds for that time are gone. The days of Star Wars staying in theaters for a *year* are especially gone.

And that's for like the 5% of movies released that have a big launch. The rest may have half a theater full of people here or there but it's not the way he describes it.

The last two movies I've seen in theaters are Jurassic World 2, which my gf got free tickets to an advance showing, and Interstellar. Interstellar! That came out 4 years ago! I hate theaters, in large part because my tailbone always starts to hurt in them, and because seeing a movie requires getting to the theater, waiting to get in, waiting for the movie to start, waiting for the trailer, seeing the movie, filing out, then heading home. That's easily an extra 60-90 minutes on top of the movie itself. I already feel like most movies aren't worth the 2 hours compared to other alternatives, no way I want to spend that much time.

But I get where he's coming from, and don't think it was as pompous and antagonistic as it appears here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 16:39 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 15:02:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 11:34:
I have a big screen LED TV, a surround system that can shake the foundation of my house, and a super comfortable Lazy Boy. I can pee when I want without missing part of the movie, nobody is annoying me with their idiocy, and for $10 I can have a whole four pack of craft beer.

I'll pass on the "communal experience," thanks.

Sociopath!

Sounds like a sweet setup. Party ay X7's house!

I lack the ability to be over the top charming, and though I do have a conscience, it may be bordering on sociopathic.

My mom lives with my girlfriend, our two kids, and me, so my current setup is stuffed into the office/computer room. Once we build out her MIL apartment in the barn we will regain our living room and I will throw a party for all of my closest friends. So, it will be me in my Lazy Boy and my girlfriend in her chair, and my four pack of craft beer. And my cat on my lap. The dog can't come because he can't shut up during movies.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 16:30 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 15:47:
When you read the actual interview (from Mike Ryan, who I kind of love), it doesn't come across as it does here. He's talking more grandly, that this is the best way to experience a film. It doesn't read like "you're doing it wrong" but "when we make movies, this is the experience we have in mind."

Mike's interviews are always very informal and go all over the place - people often complain his interviews are more about him than the subject, but he can get people to say some interesting things. They come across very much as conversations.

You know... My family for 2 or 3 generations worked in the movie industry, and I can say that the experience he's talking about is... at best... rare. Something you might see on opening weekend for a blockbuster. 90% of the life of a movie in cinemas though is at best maybe 20 people in the theater. The days of a movie staying in theaters for 6 months and having huge crowds for that time are gone. The days of Star Wars staying in theaters for a *year* are especially gone.

And that's for like the 5% of movies released that have a big launch. The rest may have half a theater full of people here or there but it's not the way he describes it.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 15:47 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 15:38 OpticNerve

Itís a communal experience. Thatís what cinema is

If I wanted a communal experience, I'd just do what I normally do and invite my friends over to watch movies/tv shows that I get. Simple as that.

I know they're not gonna be annoying or will bring loud and obnoxious kids or babies, won't talk loudly during the viewing or kick the back of my chair while I'm watching. Plus the snacks and drinks are actually affordable and we can pause if anyone has questions (usually during a tv series) or needs to go to the bathroom. It's such a more pleasant experience than dealing with the annoying crap that can happen at the theaters.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 15:17 Creston

Itís a communal experience. Thatís what cinema is

Man, fuck you. Nobody ever went to the movies for the joy of "watching it with other people", you freaking idiot. People go to the movies because the screen is huge and the sound is ferocious.

If you care that much about the communal experience, you got sit in the cinema with hordes of assholes who crunch chips, kick the back of your seat, text and play games on their cell phones at 40000 nits brightness and flat-out just talk to each other then. Clearly you'll fit in well with all the other assholes.

I'll stay home and watch shit on streaming or on DVD/Blu.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 15:02 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 11:34:
I have a big screen LED TV, a surround system that can shake the foundation of my house, and a super comfortable Lazy Boy. I can pee when I want without missing part of the movie, nobody is annoying me with their idiocy, and for $10 I can have a whole four pack of craft beer.

Sociopath!

Sounds like a sweet setup. Party ay X7's house!

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 11:34 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2018, 11:27 RedEye9

Locations of https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
I had no idea.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo