Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're getting a mild dose of democracy here in New York State, where it's primary day. I call it a mild dose, because the party machines are pretty entrenched here. So while long shot Cynthia Nixon managed to get on the ticket as a third-party gubernatorial candidate through a petition, both major party candidates were picked months ago at conventions. But it could be worse. We get a surprising number of local elections where the same candidate is listed for multiple parties, including both D and R.

Primary Links: Thanks Ant and RedEye9.
Links: Jon Hamm Open To Being "The Batman." He's exactly the Bruce Wayne I remember from the comics.
Two Blue Man Group Founders Depart.
Cavill Offers Cryptic Superman Response.
Stories: 3,000 NYC Marijuana Cases Get Tossed at Prosecutor's Request.
FDA Takes Action Against Teen Vaping Epidemic.
Marijuana Use Increasing Among Older Adults.
Science: Barn Owls Help Researchers Understand How The Brain Concentrates.
What would happen if we all took smart drugs? Thanks Puttwhacker.
Gangs of beetle larvae lure fathers of their next meal into sex trap.
Images: APOD: 2018 September 13 - Comet, Clusters, and Nebulae.
Media: Zoo cheetahs chase balls launched from "cheetahpult."
Gridlock. Yes.
Stoppie. Don't think I could do that on foot!
Follow-up: MGM Offers To Donate Nearly $1 Million On Behalf Of Las Vegas Victims It Is Suing.
Russian theory that NASA sabotaged the space station spreading like wildfire.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2018, 18:11 Sepharo

Hey Blue,
I've got this popup banner thing on every page today:
https://i.imgur.com/LQeOFbo.png

It's from network-n.com is that something you use? It shows up even if I block ads so I don't think it's coming from one of those.

I don't want to click anything on it until I know it's expected/intentional.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2018, 17:42 eRe4s3r

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2018, 09:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 19:43:
In other news, Russia is full of fake news. That's what happens when your secret service controls all media.

Russia actually denied this rumor and said very clearly that we shouldnt jump to conclusions like that. Just like the Russian people on the ISS. But of course that isnt mentioned... Typical of western propaganda nowadays.

This "spreading like wildfire" is the actual fake news.
Nothing new nowadays. Some propagandist in the west sees some tabloid in Russia claim some BS and then does an article "OMG RUSSIANS CLAIMING THIS AND THAT AGAIN!". And you fall for it.
My god, divide and conquer is fucking ancient. Learn it finally!
Same with this satellite picture, which showed a Su 27 shooting down MH17. Nobody cared about that shit, everyone knew it was fake, even if some idiots claimed it was not. Yet the western media pumped it up as if it was an official picture from Putin himself, sitting in his holiday photoshop lab.

To quote EU anti disinformation campaign

Salisbury, Starving Children and Soviet Soldiers: Disinformation Pollution in Action

Ridicule and accuse, recycle and amplify. This was the strategy behind the pro-Kremlin disinformation campaign's immediate efforts when the UK released the images of the two suspects of the Salisbury nerve gas attack. Polluting the information space - and readers' thinking - by spreading clusters of contradicting and misleading messages aims at distracting the audiences from the facts. But this week it was also winning time and preparing the ground for Russia’s president Vladimir Putin’s statement that Russia has identified the suspects.

First, the pro-Kremlin disinformation campaign started ridiculing the evidence provided by the UK. It claimed that the security camera footage of the two suspects arriving at Gatwick Airport on March 2, 2018, shows them in the same place at the same time. It further accused the UK of fabricating the evidence and ridiculed it stating that the UK is practicing "God-level trolling" and that the Russian Military Intelligence agents must have "learned to walk in tandem while appearing separately in two different photos".

But in fact, after passengers clear passport control and customs at Gatwick, they are obliged to walk separately through a row of identical barriers. Furthermore, the suspects were clearly filmed in different corridors.

Then it was time for detailed claims aimed at creating further confusion, like that Novichok was too toxic to be carried in a perfume bottle (debunked by the scientist who developed the substance) and that Sergei and Yulia Skripal never could have touched the poisoned door handle (debunked here). Disinformation also repeated the unsubstantiated claim that Novichok could have been manufactured in the UK. See the debunk here.

Finally, the pro-Kremlin disinformation avoided any remarks on Russia’s responsibility and spread conspiracies that it was the UK who attempted to poison the Skripals: that it was an anti-Russian provocation and hysteria by the UK secret services to distract attention from Brexit, to set the EU against Russia and to weaken Russia’s economy.

If in April Russia’s disinformation stories on the Salisbury attack managed to contaminate the information space and two out of three articles on the Skripal case shared on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or Pinterest, came from Kremlin-funded media outlets, this time the immediate impact of disinformation was much more limited. Even in a brief phone poll on Russian Govorit Moskva Radio Station, over half the callers said they believe Russia was behind the nerve agent poisonings in Britain.

Who is keeping silent?

When a topic is too painful the pro-Kremlin disinformation campaign prefers to ignore it. In Russia, the local election day on September 9 was “one of the calmest in recent years”, we learned from the Russian police. At the same time, the state-controlled Russian TV channels were carefully silent about the country-wide protests and clashes between the protesters and the police with hundreds detained.

The Russian TV told its audience a different breaking news story: Two million kids starve in Britain! and it is the UK “propaganda” that “hushes up” this problem. In fact Russian TV must have learned about the so called holiday hunger from one of the many reports in the UK media.

We also saw a culmination of a disinformation story that started spreading in 2016: that Finns would have organised mass shootings of Soviet Soldiers in Sandarmokh, Karelia, during WWII. The claim is tailored to distract the attention from the thousands victims of Stalin's terror who in fact were executed and buried in Sandarmokh. The same technique has been in use before in relation to the Katyn massacre. Freshen your mind from disinformation pollution with this debunk.

These things do not come from "tabloids" they are in prime time news by media 100% controlled by the Kreml. There is no free press in Russia that as you say, could invent things. Russia does this per declared strategy.

Source: https://euvsdisinfo.eu/

They base their information on analysis of the "East Stratcom Task Force" which is an EU taskforce to combat and analyze Russian DisInfo strategy.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2018, 09:48 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 19:43:
In other news, Russia is full of fake news. That's what happens when your secret service controls all media.

Russia actually denied this rumor and said very clearly that we shouldnt jump to conclusions like that. Just like the Russian people on the ISS. But of course that isnt mentioned... Typical of western propaganda nowadays.

This "spreading like wildfire" is the actual fake news.
Nothing new nowadays. Some propagandist in the west sees some tabloid in Russia claim some BS and then does an article "OMG RUSSIANS CLAIMING THIS AND THAT AGAIN!". And you fall for it.
My god, divide and conquer is fucking ancient. Learn it finally!
Same with this satellite picture, which showed a Su 27 shooting down MH17. Nobody cared about that shit, everyone knew it was fake, even if some idiots claimed it was not. Yet the western media pumped it up as if it was an official picture from Putin himself, sitting in his holiday photoshop lab.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 23:05 Mr. Tact

I had a buddy who lived on several heavily wooded acres. He had a beagle. You could take a tennis ball and heave it as far as you could into the forest in any direction, and the dog would come back with it in fairly short order.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 21:23 RedEye9

1badmf wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 20:46:
Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 15:11:
I need a cheetahpult for my dogs.

jerry the dachsund
thanks, that was awesome

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 20:46 1badmf

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 15:11:

jerry the dachsund

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 19:43 eRe4s3r

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 19:12 Retired

FDA Takes Action Against Teen Vaping Epidemic.

To late. Parents don't pay attention and are clueless. I have already seen a few cases of kids under the age of 16 have wet lung.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 16:16 Cutter

I've only dabble in Mad Men but I mean to watch the whole thing one of these days. A lot people & critics do consider it one of the best series ever. I've seen some montages on the Youtubes that show him flexing his dramatic chops and he does it quite well. Beirut is a fairly heavy film and he nails it.

"If you promote conformity, don't be surprised if that's what you get." - Ken Robinson

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:49 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 15:45:
Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 11:53:
I like Hamm a lot as an actor but he's pushing 50 now. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago he would have made an awesome Batman. Now Affleck is only a year younger than him but he's always been way more physical and he makes a great Bats too but Bale was 31 when he first did bats. I think we've covered this ground before but 30-35 seems about the right age for someone to be playing the role.

Speaking of Hamm if you haven't seen Beirut yet give it a watch. Really good film. He and Rosamund Pike do a brilliant job.
Hamm was perfect in Baby Driver.

I thought he was kind of weak. He felt the most like a cartoon. But I thought he was the weak part of The Town, as well (which I've only seen once, and saw prior to seeing John Hamm in anything else.) Basically, having never seen Mad Men, I find Hamm weak as a dramatic actor, but pretty great as a comedic one.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:45 jdreyer

I like Hamm a lot as an actor but he's pushing 50 now. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago he would have made an awesome Batman. Now Affleck is only a year younger than him but he's always been way more physical and he makes a great Bats too but Bale was 31 when he first did bats. I think we've covered this ground before but 30-35 seems about the right age for someone to be playing the role.

Speaking of Hamm if you haven't seen Beirut yet give it a watch. Really good film. He and Rosamund Pike do a brilliant job.
Hamm was perfect in Baby Driver.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:39 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 14:29:
I haven't paid any real attention to it, is Cynthia Nixon as much of a joke as I assume she is? The few bits I did see left me unimpressed.

Only slightly more than Cuomo. Which means yes, yes she is.

Cuomo is awful, and NYC people tend to care most about infrastructure, and he is horrific regarding infrastructure. HIs biggest contribution is poorly building a bridge and putting his dad's name on it right before the state congress was going on vacation.

Nixon has no experience, not that Reagan did when he took the same position in California, and her ideals would fit far better for federal, or a state where its industry was predominantly smack in the middle, than a state where the wealthiest can go to one of two other states and add only 30 minutes to their commute.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:26 DangerDog

I haven't paid any real attention to it, is Cynthia Nixon as much of a joke as I assume she is? The few bits I did see left me unimpressed.

Cuomo's and the Democrats are so worried about her they sent out a hit piece on her labeling her antisemitic.

NY Times calld Cuomo sleezy

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:16 jdreyer

I think her heart is in the right place. On the one hand, Cuomo holds a commanding lead in the polls. On the other, the polls have been poor at capturing the blue wave voters, so actual results have varied widely from the polls. See Gillum in FL. Cuomo has the edge but anything could happen. If Cynthia runs in the general as a third party candidate, she could split the Dem vote, and NY could end up with a GOP gov.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:14 Creston

NKD wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 14:35:
If there's one thing you can rely on Democrats to do, it's staying home and not voting when it really matters. If we all got out and voted every time, no amount of gerrymandering or dirty tricks would save the Republican party.

Yep. It's easier for most Dems to sit and bitch on the internet than to take the one hour and *gasp* go outside and vote so they wouldn't have to go and bitch on the internet.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:11 Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 15:07 jdreyer

Two Blue Man Group Founders Depart.

Now is Tobais' big chance!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 14:47 SMITE

Affleck is terrible. He has the physique but not the gravitas. There is something essentially light weight about him. He just isn't someone who can play a tortured soul like Bruce Wayne.

Hamm on the other hand, would be perfect, and no, 50 is not too old at all. It fits perfectly with the Dark Knight as depicted by Frank Miller.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 14:35 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 13:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 11:16:
Speaking of Democracy.
The Late Show interview with BETO O'Rourke shows that he is a real human along with being a Texan. unbelievable

Canadian born t.cruz is dead in the water
I'll believe O'Rourke can beat Cruz when I hear Cruz concede. I'd love for it to happen, I just don't have any faith enough Ds will show up at the voting booths.

If there's one thing you can rely on Democrats to do, it's staying home and not voting when it really matters. If we all got out and voted every time, no amount of gerrymandering or dirty tricks would save the Republican party.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2018, 14:29 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo