Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2018, 18:06 Burrito of Peace

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 14:23:
Unless they want to pay for it to be ran to them, but surprise! No one does.

Actually, they won't even do that unless you're going to pay for a business class fiber line. At my previous residence, we got a whopping 3Mbps connection. That only actually got 3Mbps on every alternating Tuesday, at 2:17AM, if the moon was full, and Mars was in retrograde. More often than not, even in the wee early hours of the morning, you'd be really lucky to sustain a 1Mbps connection. There was literally fiber line on the telephone poles 50 feet in front of my house. I called the provider (the ONLY provider in the area, mind you) and, after several calls back and forth, got to speak with the area construction manager. I flat out offered to pay the entire cost of a fibre run to my house. Construction, equipment, labor, everything. They would not do it. He sympathized with my situation and realized it was ridiculous but the company wouldn't authorize it even if the customer agreed to foot the whole bill.

Ended up moving because of the shitty, unreliable internet service because at the time I was working from home and VPNing into work.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2018, 18:03 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 14:23:
Honestly, at this point, people have to accept that wanting to live in an isolated area means they won’t have great internet service. Unless they want to pay for it to be ran to them, but surprise! No one does.

Ehm, no. I literally live less than 100 yards away from one of AT&T's fiber nodes. Offered to pay for them to draw fiber to my house, and then subscribe to their 1Gb plan.

AT&T: "No."

Thank God we have Ajit Pai! He'll save us!

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2018, 14:59 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 13:12:
I'd buy that 5G package. It'll never be available where I live, but I'd buy it.
I wouldn't. I'm paying $45 a month and I nearly choke on it every time. Probably number 3 or 4 on the list of the worst things about retirement, I had to start paying for my own cell phone.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2018, 14:23 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 13:12:

You might be pleasantly surprised. It’s the plan for rural communities. Fiber is still The Best Possible Option, but good luck convincing an ISP to spend way more than they’ll get back even after 30 years to run it out into areas where there’s fewer than 1 house per mile.

Honestly, at this point, people have to accept that wanting to live in an isolated area means they won’t have great internet service. Unless they want to pay for it to be ran to them, but surprise! No one does.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 12, 2018, 13:12 Creston

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo