Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 17:20 KS

Windows 10 already watches everything you type, all sites you visit, Chrome or not, Incognito mode or not, and also monitors and sends back screen shots and everything else you do so it can be parsed and you thrown into a thousand and one advertising bins.

Google, Amazon, and facebook (and every single site you visit) also do this, even unto guestimating your phone number, which ties it all together with your IP in the vast advertising proclivity databases.

I fail to see how not using Chrome benefits Microsoft who monitors all your web sites and typing already.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 17:12 RedEye9

Mordhaus wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 15:43:
Gonna keep rocking win7 ultimate until they force me to do otherwise. Which may not even be in 2020, because I'd rather pay for an antivirus package than give Microsoft a penny for win10.
You can probably get by with a free av (until it quits supporting an unsupported os) and paid malwarebytes.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 15:43 Mordhaus

Gonna keep rocking win7 ultimate until they force me to do otherwise. Which may not even be in 2020, because I'd rather pay for an antivirus package than give Microsoft a penny for win10.  

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 14:52 Mr. Tact

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 14:39:
Without a set value, it’s a commodity, not a currency.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but when you think in a global sense it really loses weight. The US dollar does not have a set value against the Euro, Yen, Pound, etc. And the exchange rates between those currencies has changed significantly over time.

Some kind of digital currency will eventually take hold. Will it be Bitcoin? Will it happen within the next 10 years? 20 years? No one knows, only time will tell.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 14:39 HoSpanky

Pigeon wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 13:30:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:28:
Bitcoin -- I continue to be amused. It still has a long way to go.

It's still too good of a tool for fleecing the 'get rich quick' amateur investor. Maybe when enough of the dum-dums get burned (repeatedly) it'll really fall in value.

And, as we’ve all seen, Bitcoin is THE crypto “currency”. If it fails, interest in other cryptos will drop off immediately. When bitcoin initially plummeted in value, that’s when, suddenly, video cards were decently available. They weren’t being used for Bitcoin, they were being used for Etherium and others, but their value is tied to Bitcoin.

It WILL fail. Without a set value, it’s a commodity, not a currency. It’s no different from any other collectible, aside from not even being a physical item. As people get bored of it, it will be forgotten. People who invested in Beanie Babies at least have cute stuffed animals for their huge financial loss. Those left holding the bag at the end of Bitcoin will have nothing at all.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 14:30 saluk

Oh this will be fine. Microsoft never got in trouble for these kind of practices before...

(Ok, so it's kind of dumb that it's "antitrust" for an OS maker to advertise and integrate their own other software.)

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 13:33 wtf_man

chickenboo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:45:
Firefox on my Android phone too, I give enough to Google by using Android, they don't get to have my browsing data to boot.

LOL

Using Firefox on an Android device doesn't stop Google from getting your browsing data. All kinds of APP telemetry goes to Google, Your Carrier, and the APP vendor. It's called "DNS Lookups". Unless you have some secure / encrypted DNS service installed at the OS level (rooted)... your browsing data is known to at least the 3 entities I just mentioned, and nny other APP that is allowed to look at that specific telemetry.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 13:30 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:28:

It's still too good of a tool for fleecing the 'get rich quick' amateur investor. Maybe when enough of the dum-dums get burned (repeatedly) it'll really fall in value.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 11:45 chickenboo

I've found MS Edge neither slow nor clunky. I think it's pretty competent, and it is great for battery life on my laptop. I'll use Edge on battery when I'm gone all day and don't bring my charger, but at home or with a charger, it's Firefox all the way. Firefox on my Android phone too, I give enough to Google by using Android, they don't get to have my browsing data to boot.

My PC uses Firefox exclusively.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 11:44 Beamer

While this bothers me, at least you can turn it off. I have to see the stupid "Better with Chrome" ad on every damn Google site, not to mention them coding YouTube in ways that it is much faster on Chrome than other browsers.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 11:28 Mr. Tact

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 11:28 Mr. Tact

Well, they've already indicated they are planning on initiating a monthly fee for using their OSes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they added on addition fees for using a browser other than Edge or other non-MS software. Imagine a monthly bill coming from MS, which looks kind of like cell phone bills looks like, a dozen line items and you won't know what half of them are...  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 11:10 RedEye9

Please Please Please Try Edge. ...

Uh, thanks microsoft but no thanks.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

1. Re: etc. Sep 12, 2018, 11:10 deqer

Microsoft Edge is garbage. I've been a web dev for two decades, and have always hated IE, but once every year I give Microsoft a chance and I try their latest IE, just to see; and within the first minute I already find something wrong with it, typically it being slow or clunky or poorly accessible.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo