Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The forecasts for Hurricane Florence just seem to get more and more dire with every revision. We can only hope that this turns out to be one of those cases where they get it wrong, and that this turns seaward rather than landward. Either way, we also hope that everyone in the path manages to evacuate as needed. Good luck.

TMI Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Round Rivals.
Links: 'Smokey and the Bandit' to return to theaters as a tribute to Burt Reynolds.
Stories: Hurricane Florence track turns south, expected to slow on Carolinas.
Paul McCartney and John Lennon masturbated together. Come Together.
Science: Hurricane Florence Isn't Alone: 4 Powerful Storms Seen from Space in 1 Day. Thanks Capella.
How Trees Secretly Talk to Each Other in the Forest. Thanks Kxmode.
Sea Cucumber Poop Is Surprisingly Good For the Ecosystem. Poop warning. Thanks Kxmode.
Media: Gamer Tags - Epic NPC Man (ridiculous player names) - Viva La Dirt League (VLDL).
Spider-Man Old vs New (2000 vs. 2018) (React- Gaming).
The Collapsible Crash Test Robot Car.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2018, 03:32 jdreyer

Paul McCartney and John Lennon masturbated together.

Did I need to know that? I'm thinking that I did not.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2018, 03:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 22:27:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 19:56:
Even paid games can have privacy issues, and many are overzealous with their permissions requests, which thankfully Android is quite up-front with now. One I can recommend 100% is The Battle of Polytopia. Excellent game, and free with no ads.

Thanks, I'll check that out! Yeah I noticed that. I had to go through a few dozen before I found a few paid ones - solitaire, cribbage, and backgammon - where the devs don't ask much in the way of permissions and the reviews are good. Love me some backgammon.

Just installed it myself. Luv me some TBS action.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 22:27 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 19:56:
Even paid games can have privacy issues, and many are overzealous with their permissions requests, which thankfully Android is quite up-front with now. One I can recommend 100% is The Battle of Polytopia. Excellent game, and free with no ads.

Thanks, I'll check that out! Yeah I noticed that. I had to go through a few dozen before I found a few paid ones - solitaire, cribbage, and backgammon - where the devs don't ask much in the way of permissions and the reviews are good. Love me some backgammon.

"If you promote conformity, don't be surprised if that's what you get." - Ken Robinson

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 19:56 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 13:53:
Yeah, hi, hello?! Okay I finally bought a new phone 2 days ago - Motorola Moto G5, the G5 made me laugh thinking of Tropic Thunder. First new phone in 7 years - 3rd cell I've ever owned. I really just needed a new one for the new ride - Android Auto, etc. Anyhoo, not really being a "phone guy" I've been going through everything trying to disable all the Google snooping I can - fuck is Google Assistant ever annoying. So, what do people rec/can I use other stuff like Firefox, Ublock Origin, et al. on this phone? Except when I have location enabled for Maps it'll be off and I want to keep all the tracking bullshit to as minimal as possible.

Also, I was looking at some games on the Play store. I know most of the "free" ones have ads and permissions that allow them to rape your data but do the paid ones avoid that scheisse? Really only want a few things like backgammon, cribbage, etc. Any recs for stuff like this? Devs that respect people's privacy per se?

Thanks!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 17:23 RedEye9

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 13:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 12:48:
When you claim that intercept, bloomberg, AM, even WAPO have reported on something the onus of proof is on you.
It also helps if you don't abbreviate unknown sources (AM???). ...

I guess it was too hard to back up your original post, but thanks for kinda trying.
*sigh*
AM is also known as "american mirror" if you only get your news from one source, it's not my problem that you don't know the abbreviation.
You never cease to amaze, I googled "AM news" and that was a big goose egg. Sorry, but not everyone follows, much less believes every crackpot webpage that they stumble across.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-american-mirror/
QUESTIONABLE SOURCE
Bias: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Questionable Sources

You might prefer "Garbage in - Garbage out" but the rest of us have better things to do with our time. cheers

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 16:43 Beamer

Speaking of conspiracies, a day after The New York Times compared QAnon nutsos to Charlie from Always Sunny, Reddit finally shut down the sub. The sub that has pushes conspiracy theories directly responsible for the arrest of several theorists with guns.

It also banned Million Dollar Show Extreme, which was pretty much as antisemitic as you can get while convincing yourself that isn't what you are.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 14:24 Beamer

Blue is fine. Article 13 has an exception for people sharing link text and "individual words" describing of the article. Very little of what he posts here goes to a paid site, and only slightly more goes beyond link text and individual words.

Not that it's not ludicrous, but it won't impact this site.

-------------

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 13:53 Cutter

Yeah, hi, hello?! Okay I finally bought a new phone 2 days ago - Motorola Moto G5, the G5 made me laugh thinking of Tropic Thunder. First new phone in 7 years - 3rd cell I've ever owned. I really just needed a new one for the new ride - Android Auto, etc. Anyhoo, not really being a "phone guy" I've been going through everything trying to disable all the Google snooping I can - fuck is Google Assistant ever annoying. So, what do people rec/can I use other stuff like Firefox, Ublock Origin, et al. on this phone? Except when I have location enabled for Maps it'll be off and I want to keep all the tracking bullshit to as minimal as possible.

Also, I was looking at some games on the Play store. I know most of the "free" ones have ads and permissions that allow them to rape your data but do the paid ones avoid that scheisse? Really only want a few things like backgammon, cribbage, etc. Any recs for stuff like this? Devs that respect people's privacy per se?

Thanks!

"If you promote conformity, don't be surprised if that's what you get." - Ken Robinson

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 13:42 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 12:19:
Wrong. He's an aggregate site like drudge, or google news or bing news or anything like that. These changes make the people who link, liable. Not the other way around. Instead of all the previous failures over the last decade of them trying, they've finally succeeded.

Well then wouldn't he - site owners - only be responsible for content that's actually from/resides in Europe? That's still insane but there's no way they can charge people for content that's not in Europe.

How do you think the US comes after you in Canada, Australia, Europe? There are existing parallel treaties that allow them to do so. These modifications allow them to directly target aggregate sites, and force them to pay for linking to another site. Remember the shitshow with Spain wanting to do the same thing? No? Go look it up. It was newspaper trying to make them pay their site for linking, because Google was aggregating and they felt they deserved revenue from an aggregate providing them traffic.

Extradition for not paying some taxes? Yeah, don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, or ever for that matter. I'm sure they could send you a bill, but there's fuck all they could actually do about it, short of barring you entrance to the EU.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 13:02 Mashiki Amiketo

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 12:48:
When you claim that intercept, bloomberg, AM, even WAPO have reported on something the onus of proof is on you.
It also helps if you don't abbreviate unknown sources (AM???). ...

I guess it was too hard to back up your original post, but thanks for kinda trying.
*sigh*
Sounds like a whole lot of whining because everything isn't handed to you. AM is also known as "american mirror" if you only get your news from one source, it's not my problem that you don't know the abbreviation. Besides, if you need anything searching for things you normally don't would help you more then most people posting here.

p.s. There's a reason why in Canada, The Toronto Star is called "The Red Star." I'll let you search and figure out that one too, but to help you out? It has it's origins well earned going back to the early 1980's when they supported wage and price controls.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 12:48 RedEye9

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:47:
Notice how he does not provide any links, just mentions random news sources.
https://tradingeconomics.com/puerto-rico/corruption-rank
Puerto Rico is less corrupt than Russia, China, Mexico, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, India and Indonesia.
Not quite sure what that has to do with 3000+ deaths, but there's no logic to any of his other posts so why should this one be any different.
Stop being sensible, and FYI you should read the methodology because it's weighted with the US. Maybe you'll learn something if you actually search out the stories for once in your life. But since it's such hard work, I'll show you.

2xTI, NYT, MJ, Reuters

It's not like this is rocket surgery, maybe try getting your bias out of the way.
It also helps if you don't abbreviate unknown sources (AM???). And if you're gonna bother with sources at least have the common courtesy to include ones from your original post.

*sigh*

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 12:19 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 12:09:
That doesn't make any sense. He's - anyone who runs a site - isn't pushing content to Europe.
Wrong. He's an aggregate site like drudge, or google news or bing news or anything like that. These changes make the people who link, liable. Not the other way around. Instead of all the previous failures over the last decade of them trying, they've finally succeeded.

And how can they come after you? Their laws don't apply here. I'd have to imagine it would be more akin to the if you ever want to visit there they wouldn't permit entrance without paying what you owe. Yeah, that'll be great for tourism. Rolleyes
How do you think the US comes after you in Canada, Australia, Europe? There are existing parallel treaties that allow them to do so. These modifications allow them to directly target aggregate sites, and force them to pay for linking to another site. Remember the shitshow with Spain wanting to do the same thing? No? Go look it up. It was newspaper trying to make them pay their site for linking, because Google was aggregating and they felt they deserved revenue from an aggregate providing them traffic.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 12:09 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:10:
Better watch out Blue. The EU just passed articles 11 & 13, so now you're going to be liable to pay taxes on every single link you post if you serve users across the pond. And liable for any content posted on your forums if you serve users over there. They even have a mechanism to come after you if you're not in the EU.

That doesn't make any sense. He's - anyone who runs a site - isn't pushing content to Europe. They're coming here. A physical analogy would be more akin to a website being a bookstore with ads on the walls, and someone in Europe would have to take a flight to get here to physically visit the store in order to access the content of said store. Man, the EU make some boneheaded decisions but there's going to be major fallout over this one. This just may end up in the EU being isolated entirely. If I was in Blue's position I sure as hell wouldn't be doing/paying taxes to the EU.

And how can they come after you? Their laws don't apply here. I'd have to imagine it would be more akin to the if you ever want to visit there they wouldn't permit entrance without paying what you owe. Yeah, that'll be great for tourism. Rolleyes

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:58 Mashiki Amiketo

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:47:
I can't wait until he goes back to work.
Stop being butthurt, and FYI you should read the methodology because it's weighted with the US. Maybe you'll learn something if you actually search out the stories for once in your life. But since it's such hard work, I'll show you.

TI
TI
NYT
MJ
Reuters

It's not like this is rocket surgery, maybe try getting your bias out of the way.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:47 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:38:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:33:
There's a reason why so many politicians, mayors and so on have been criminally charged in Puerto Rico.
Either am I correctly assuming this is sarcasm or I missed a huge story.
Notice how he does not provide any links, just mentions random news sources. I can't wait until he goes back to work.
https://tradingeconomics.com/puerto-rico/corruption-rank
Puerto Rico is less corrupt than Russia, China, Mexico, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, India and Indonesia.
Not quite sure what that has to do with 3000+ deaths, but there's no logic to any of his other posts so why should this one be any different.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:46 Beamer

Yes, there are documented cases of supplies left, but those supplies were left by the National Guard, who had been responsible for distribution. They claim that the supplies were expired food items, but the footage you see appears to show bottled water. In any case, the National Guard handled these donations, and when they left the island they did not inform anyone of the existence of these items, nor did they do any kind of transition. They left, and left the items out without telling people "oh, hey, we have water donations we haven't had a chance to deal with yet."

Kind of hard to blame National Guard actions 100% on local politicians.

-------------

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:46 Mashiki Amiketo

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:38:
There's a reason why so many politicians, mayors and so on have been criminally charged in Puerto Rico.
A bit of both. Some people have been criminally charged at various levels of the PR federal and local government levels including at the city level. While others are still sitting free, despite their ties to a whole pile of really shady shit relating to the lack of distribution or their interference and/or attempts to "buy" people at the local level by hording and only giving it to their supporters. That buy people at the local level should sound familiar, because it's the MO in many corrupt countries and used to influence elections.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:38 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:33 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:20:
I really worry about this hurricane and the people in its path. The government didn't do that great helping out Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Maria. Worse even than the response to Katrina. Hopefully this goes better...
There's a reason why so many politicians, mayors and so on have been criminally charged in Puerto Rico. There's no shortage of documented cases of supplies sitting in the warehouses, rotting in warehouses, being ruined by the elements sitting outside unprotected even months after the hurricane hit. Not even getting to the part where federal agents(FEMA, Corps of Engineers, and multiple security details) had to get involved because the PR government itself was hording critical infrastructure supplies and equipment. The government did a good job, the PR federal to local did a criminal job. Check the intercept, bloomberg, AM, even WAPO, if you want to see just how corrupt the PR government was on this.

Yep... this is a reaaaaally bad decision on the part of the EU. Though not a surprising one. There's not a single more pro-corporate pro-copyright body than the EU.
Want to see the real shit show? Watch the vote on it. The MEP's were cheering and clapping as it passed. They cheered and clapped when the amendments to revoke these overzealous sections were defeated, they had no clue what they were voting on. So it seems to be a case of special interests telling the vast majority of MEP's "that it was a really good idea." I think the final vote was 470ish to 230 against.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 11:20 NKD

I really worry about this hurricane and the people in its path. The government didn't do that great helping out Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Maria. Worse even than the response to Katrina. Hopefully this goes better...

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 11:10:
Better watch out Blue. The EU just passed articles 11 & 13, so now you're going to be liable to pay taxes on every single link you post if you serve users across the pond. And liable for any content posted on your forums if you serve users over there. They even have a mechanism to come after you if you're not in the EU.

Yep... this is a reaaaaally bad decision on the part of the EU. Though not a surprising one. There's not a single more pro-corporate pro-copyright body than the EU.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo