Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs?

Microsoft may be planning on bringing Halo 5 Guardians to PCs, a potential payoff on years of unfulfilled promises to refocus on PC gaming. Ars Technica notes a small, but potentially significant change to the listing for the first person shooter on Amazon.com. The box art in the listing has changed, and a blurb that formerly read "ONLY ON XBOX ONE," now says "XBOX ONE CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE." The distinction clearly leaves them free to release this for PC, which would be an upgrade over Halo 5 Forge, a free game for Windows 10 released two years ago as a "learning opportunity." Ars sent inquiries to see if Microsoft would confirm this, but has so far received no response.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 11, 2018, 08:06 Prez

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 16:17:
Prez wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 15:40:
I'm one of those weird people who played and loved the first Halo on PC way back when. I even downloaded a cracked version of Halo 2 so I could play it on Windows ME because I was too poor to upgrade my OS such was my love for it at the time. I'm long since over it but I really loved those games.

I'm also long since over wondering if Microsoft will ever actually make good on their never-ending promises to recommit to PC gaming. As far as I'm concerned they are merely an OS maker.

They’re committed to PC gaming more than before. That’s not saying much, but every first party Xbox title comes out same day on PC. You’re wondering if they’ll make good, and they have been, for like two years now.

If their XBOX exclusive/Win10 release list wasn't so dismally pathetic in those 2 years, that might be something. Alas, the don't have anything approaching that of Sony or Nintendo.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 11, 2018, 07:58 Numinar

I'm a massive Halo tragic, but I still don't have an X1. Been thinking about it more seriously for a year.

Red Dead 2 is my cutoff. My old man dosn't have a PS4 so I'll need to get a x1s so we can drink whiskey and do cowboy shit once we are too drunk to fly planes.

Would also love to take the kid through the Haloz, those games are important to me and I feel hold up better than a lot of their contemporaries. Especially the co-op.

Also taking turns in Sea of Theives is fun but if we could get a mini-lan going that would be great. Even a x1x is less than a quarter of what a meaningful 2nd PC/upgrade would cost. Shit, it's less than the videocard alone I'd need to see meaningful gains over the one I have.

So good work Mircosoft. You've finally almost convinced me maybe to get one. Announce MCC for Win10 with cross-platform play and I'll think about it even harder... let me do that lease to own deal the yanks get and I'll grab a x1x immediately.

21. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 11, 2018, 05:41 Osc8r

Even more overrated than that other console trash... gears of war.  

20. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 18:11 Cutter

I played one Halo when I had a 360 and thought it was pretty bleh.

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

19. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 17:11 SirKnight

Not coming to Windows 98 with 3dfx Glide support? F you MS!  

18. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 16:45 MattyC

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 16:17:
I'm one of those weird people who played and loved the first Halo on PC way back when. I even downloaded a cracked version of Halo 2 so I could play it on Windows ME because I was too poor to upgrade my OS such was my love for it at the time. I'm long since over it but I really loved those games.

I'm also long since over wondering if Microsoft will ever actually make good on their never-ending promises to recommit to PC gaming. As far as I'm concerned they are merely an OS maker.

They’re committed to PC gaming more than before. That’s not saying much, but every first party Xbox title comes out same day on PC.

If I had to guess, I would imagine they simply felt that if they were going to continue on with Xbox, it was the weak link and needed more so that is the direction they leaned.

17. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 16:17 HoSpanky

They’re committed to PC gaming more than before. That’s not saying much, but every first party Xbox title comes out same day on PC. You’re wondering if they’ll make good, and they have been, for like two years now.

16. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 16:01 Beamer

I, too, loved Halo PC. When everyone here was playing Unreal Tournament 2003 or whichever, I thought Halo did a much, much better job.

Halo 3, on the Xbox, took it to a new level, though. The amount of polish on that from a multiplayer perspective was crazy. But the PC has plenty of other, great multiplayer shooters.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 15:40 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 15:06 Desalus

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 14:00:
Desalus wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 12:10:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:32:
Does anyone really care?

I bought an Xbox One and subscribe to Xbox Game Pass so if this becomes a Play Anywhere game, then yes I'd prefer to play it on a PC. I don't mind playing FPS on the console, but if given the choice I'd much rather use a mouse and keyboard.

No, I meant about Halo in general.

Yes, I am still interested in Halo. They are still really good games even though they have been Xbox exclusive for a long time.

13. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 14:58 MattyC

Rigs wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 13:49:
trying to take the spotlight off the Chief and make you feel for characters you didn't really know and didn't really give a damn for. No build up, just plop you in the shoes of Locke, someone you barely know, if at all and you're supposed to sympathize with him and his team that, besides ol' Buck (Nathan Fillion)

I rather liked Halo 5. Though probably not for the reasons your typical Halo fan would like a Halo game... I thought that the Warzone (think 2 player teams and 1 AI team all vs each other) modes were a nice touch. Nothing revolutionary mind you, but enough change to interest me. The co-op was well enough put together and that is always a huge selling point for me with console games.

As for the story bits, I liked them much less than the multiplayer, but I still liked them. I really couldn't care less what they did with Chief. That was never going to be a loss. He has no personality and no real traits besides his armor and some sort of creepy crush on Cortana. 'Capn' Mal' was more than welcome IMO.

12. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 14:46 Task

I'd like to play the rest of the Halo games on PC. Only played 1 & 2.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

11. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 14:43 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 14:00:
Does anyone really care?

I bought an Xbox One and subscribe to Xbox Game Pass so if this becomes a Play Anywhere game, then yes I'd prefer to play it on a PC. I don't mind playing FPS on the console, but if given the choice I'd much rather use a mouse and keyboard.

I do. Just because it hasn't been a PC-centric game in a while doesn't mean it's relevance is any less pertinent. It's certainly a better game and franchise than Call of Duty and even Battlefield/Battlefront has been lately. HALO isn't just about the games, there's books, comics..a whole host of extended-universe stuff out there. You could read up on Halo Waypoint for days and still not get the whole picture. You can't say that for freakin' Call of Duty. Obviously, I'm gonna get the reply, 'who cares?! I just want to blast some fuckin' aliens in the face, I don't give a shit about backstory' and that's fine, HALO I think has something for everyone. Not necessarily HALO5 but if you pick up the MCC and play some of the older games like REACH and ODST, you'll be more than satisfied.

But to answer your question, yes. And with Infinite coming out at some point, that group of people that do give a shit is going to grow since HALO hasn't been on PC in like a decade. There's new PC players that have never played HALO on PC.

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 14:36 Rilcon

A fairly significant amount of people care about Halo, and specifically about playing Halo on PC. It's one of those things that exist in great numbers but gets little attention, like people that play farming simulators or NBA games.  

9. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 14:00 Cutter

Does anyone really care?

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

8. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 13:49 Rigs

Is this the train where we confess how much we don't give a fuck about giving a fuck about not giving a fuck about something? Edgy...

Christ, you guys act like MS killed your family and is now asking for amnesty because, I dunno, they were just 'acting crazy that day'. I'll admit I wasn't crazy about HALO5's story, I mean, after I found out what it actually was. I rather enjoyed playing HALO4 on the 360, aside from some mind-numbing parts akin to the first one's 'cut and paste' corridors. The story was good and it had a cool dramatic ending...only to be totally cut off at the knees and having all it's significance pissed away immediately in HALO5. I haven't actually played HALO5 as I don't have an Xbone but I've watched the story multiple times and I sub to multiple HALO-centric channels on YT, so I know it wasn't that great. Their mistake was to, ONE, lie to the public about the actual story (I see they learned absolutely fucking NOTHING from Bungie's dumb move with HALO2 a decade before) and TWO, trying to take the spotlight off the Chief and make you feel for characters you didn't really know and didn't really give a damn for. No build up, just plop you in the shoes of Locke, someone you barely know, if at all and you're supposed to sympathize with him and his team that, besides ol' Buck (Nathan Fillion), no one gives a shit about.

For some reason MS has it in their heads they can pull the same thing that *Rockstar does and artificially inflate the importance and demand of it's products and franchises. And with HALO they might have been able to do it if 343 didn't keep insisting on shoving their thumbs up their asses and their feet in their mouths. I'm very hopeful for Infinite and I really do hope they wake up and bring the rest of the HALO franchise to the platform that gave it life to begin with. If that is in the form of HALO5 or MCC, so be it. But if they do it, they better be dedicated to it and in it for the long haul because (to paraphrase a certain wide-crazied-eyed Klingon) PC gamers do not forget...or forgive...

=-Rigs-=

7. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 13:01 HoSpanky

You guys crack me up with how butthurt you are over Microsoft having their own franchises.

Yes, Win10 will be required if it comes to pc. Why on earth would they support versions of Windows they want to stop supporting? It’s like expecting them to release games for the 360 at this point.

Yes, it’ll be on windows store only. Again, why would they hand 30% to another platform when they have their own (somewhat wonky) store?

Now, out of all of MS’ franchises, this is the one I least care about. The stories have gotten stale, and the promise of hunting down a rogue Master Chief is a lie. It doesn’t really look much better than the previous entries, and on PC, it’ll feel like everything is just a LITTLE too slow.

Just hoping Crackdown 3 isn’t a trainwreck. I’ve got a pile of Gamepass codes from E3, gonna use one just for C3, whenever it finally comes out.

6. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 12:37 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 12:15:
Let me guess a Windows10 exclusive? In any case, don't know, don't care.
It's gotta have that DirectX 12 goodness and games for windows live exclusivity. What's not to like.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

5. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 12:15 VaranDragon

Let me guess a Windows10 exclusive? In any case, don't know, don't care.  

4. Re: Halo 5 Guardians Coming to PCs? Sep 10, 2018, 12:10 Desalus

Does anyone really care?

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo