Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is due later this week, but either the review embargo for Lara Croft's latest adventure ended today, or quite the coincidence is unfolding before our eyes. Here's a review roundup:

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 13, 2018, 13:35 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 19:40:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 10:45:
Whoo! Got my copy today because apparently I get early access for paying more than $200 for the Ultimate edition!

$200? That's nucking futs!

But I got an awesome statue!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 12, 2018, 19:40 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 12, 2018, 10:45:
Whoo! Got my copy today because apparently I get early access for paying more than $200 for the Ultimate edition!

$200? That's nucking futs!

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

26. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 12, 2018, 10:45 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

25. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 12, 2018, 07:49 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2018, 03:22:
Guardian of Light is a cool coop Tomb Raider game played from three quarters perspective, Diablo style.

As is Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit for fairly "casual" games.

24. Re: On Sale Sep 11, 2018, 11:29 gilly775

chickenboo wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:45:
I finished TR 2013 and ROTTR, but both were a bit of a slog. I'd much rather the emphasis on the games be on exploration and cave traversing, rather than combat. Have firefights be uncommon but deadly, and give Lara a single weapon and her pick axe. As the games are now, they're a mix of violence and exploration but the violence is emphasized, and I feel like it doesn't really need to be there. They're technically very good games, I just ended up finding them kind of boring. Definitely going to skip this entry in the series.

Many reviews mentioned there is less combat in Shadow than ROTTR.

23. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 11, 2018, 10:21 Xero

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 11, 2018, 02:12:
This was never a good franchise, it claim to fame was one of the first 3dfx games way back with big ass boobs, the rest is trying to milk a brand that is bleh.

Honestly, it was fun for it's time on the PS1 when Playstation needed it's own 3D adventure mascot where N64 had Mario 64. It catered more the mature audience with boobs and guns. Looking at it now you would write it off as garbage but back then, there wasn't much else going on to compare it with and it stood well on it's own.

Nowadays, you can deflate her boobs and make her a real protagonist with her own adventure and it holds up well with what they did. It's a female version of Uncharted and does it's own things well. Just dismissing it because of it's very old roots isn't all that fair because it is a solid rebooted franchise in it's own right and paved the way for many to follow.

22. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 11, 2018, 08:07 Numinar

I shouldn't be happy that a game sucks but... it's sure nice to save the money! So much on it's way, so much in the account I could spend a hundred more hours in. And those last two games were so good it almost doesn't matter that they Arkham Knighted' this one (A game I loved on PS4, but this dosn't seem as ambitious even without the bugs)

Also I think I had my fill of (Jim sterling voice) TRIIIPLE AAAAAAAAAA with the glorious God of War. Maybe playing that again will be a good enough fix of TPP action.

Like, Spiderman seems great but I bet it will be even better at 60% off in 4 months!

21. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 11, 2018, 03:22 jdreyer

Guardian of Light is a cool coop Tomb Raider game played from three quarters perspective, Diablo style.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

20. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 11, 2018, 02:12 HorrorScope

This was never a good franchise, it claim to fame was one of the first 3dfx games way back with big ass boobs, the rest is trying to milk a brand that is bleh.  

19. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 11, 2018, 00:46 Red886

lara herself is slowly evolving to looking like a pudding, it seems  

18. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 20:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Meh, I thought the reboot and the sequel were okay, well worth the 10 bucks or less I spent on each. I'll probably pick this up when it's under $10 as well, and murder thousands of henchmen in gruesome fashion, so I can Indiana Jones some chunks of carved stone or something.

17. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 18:21 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 12:41:
Flatline wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 12:35:
Laura

Seriously? "Laura"? In 2018?

Gawddammit, dude...

I've officially played one Tomb Raider game all the way through. I grew up hating platformers.

Edit: Okay I've apparently played *two* Tomb Raider games all the way through. According to Steam I bought, played, and finished RotTR and I have absolutely zero memory of it.

I can basically tell you the original TR reboot story but I have so little recollection of the sequel that I forgot I even played it.

16. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 17:30 Burrito of Peace

Laura Craft games suck.  

15. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 17:25 1badmf

if it's more of the same i'm out. i agree with everyone's criticisms. i've had rise on my hard drive since it came out and i just can't do it. it's too stupid.  

14. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 14:27 El Pit

I liked the first game of the TR reboot quite a bit. Haven't played the second yet (but bought it, of course - damned games accdiction! ). I will give the third game definitely a try if the second is as good as or even better than the first.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

13. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 13:31 Xero

Can't wait to pick this one up when it's price takes a huge nose dive. I was a huge fan of the first two. Didn't enjoy the second as much as I did the first however I'm not saying the second is bad, I just didn't enjoy it as much.

This is one of those games where you either liked the first two and will pick up the third or you didn't and have no reason for this. I can't see that this will change much from what the first two offered other than more of the same. I dig.

12. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 13:29 Leper

Doesn't seem to be game-changing, but who really expected that? Sounds like the story deserves some criticism, but it still seems like it's worth playing. I'll probably wait until it's on sale since there's so much other good stuff out there.  

11. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 13:15 HoSpanky

I played RotTR somewhat recently, and then Uncharted 4 about a month later.

Uncharted, for starting life as a Tomb Raider knock off (starring “ALMOST Nathan Fillion”), has eclipsed Tomb Raider at a level that’s kind of embarrassing. It has multiple non-combat levels that are there just to fill in backstory and make some characters’ decisions understandable. Uncharted 2 and 4 are some of the best gaming in existence, and 4’s story is equal parts outlandish adventure, and a very grounded warning of the consequences of breaking the trust of your spouse. Had it been the story for Indiana Jones 4, it would have revived the franchise spectacularly.

10. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 12:53 Task

Hopefully there is a sale on the second game, it has been listed as full price for a while.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

9. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Reviews Sep 10, 2018, 12:45 RedEye9

I'm not a big fan of the Laura Croft games, movies or lore. Count me out.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo