Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2018, 19:12 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 18:36:
Dude, I suspect only a fraction of the people taking oxycodone had any idea it was derived from opium. They just trust their doctors to give them what they need. Certainly when they were given it under product names like Tylox they would have no clue. As for the doctors knowing, yeah they should have been more cautious. But in today's, see a patient every 10 minutes environment, I'm not surprised it might get past even "good" doctors.
And there's this Most Doctors Are Ill-Equipped to Deal With the Opioid Epidemic. Few Medical Schools Teach Addiction.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 22:07 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 13:20:

We've gone too far in the other direction. Due to multiple disparate health issues, my mother is in massive pain daily. She is allergic to every pain killer except Vicodin. However, no doctor will write he a prescription in the current climate. It's horrible.

My mother has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was 24. She's been on the same dose of oxycodone forever, and even though she's been taking the same drug for an eternity, its always a pain in the ass for her to get her refill. When she switched primary care doctor it was actually pretty difficult to find one that would take a patient who was on oxycodone. When she found one, she got in an argument with him when he wanted to try to switch her to something else because he was skittish about prescribing oxycodone. Her current medication works fine enough for her and she just wants to keep taking it like she has for the like 10-12 years.

With a long term visually obvious painful disability, two knee replacements and two shoulder replacements, she still sometimes gets treated like some kind of junkie.

"Broke their brown backs chasing Mr. White's dream,
that Bill of Rights was just a pyramid scheme."
- Nunca David Hidalgo & Los Refugio Tiernos

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 18:36 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 18:15:
The difference being that even most people on the streets understand that an opiate is derived from opium. And even if they don't doctors sure as hell do. If there's doctor out there who doesn't understand what an opiate is than they shouldn't be practicing medicine.
Dude, I suspect only a fraction of the people taking oxycodone had any idea it was derived from opium. They just trust their doctors to give them what they need. Certainly when they were given it under product names like Tylox they would have no clue. As for the doctors knowing, yeah they should have been more cautious. But in today's, see a patient every 10 minutes environment, I'm not surprised it might get past even "good" doctors.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 18:20 RedEye9

BOLTON's mouth is moving. Be Very Afraid.
Bolton threatened Monday to arrest and sanction judges and other officials of the International Criminal Court if it moves to charge any American who served in Afghanistan with war crimes.
And Bolton is right to fear a war crimes tribunal.
The US not cooperating with the ICC is a huge slap in the face of the rest of the world who are trying to develop solutions to the problems of aggression, but understandable when the US itself is a lot of the time the one committing the aggression in question.

Witch House to close Palestine Liberation Organization’s D.C. office
The most counter intuitive move to induce peace--remove one player's ability to negotiate it.
As for kicking the Palestinians to the curb, I am sure that will help immeasurably in the attempt to promote peace in that region and will make Jared's job so much easier. I mean, we expected a negotiated peace accord any day now.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 18:15 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 17:40:
I'm confused. You claim the doctors would know better, then tell us a story of a doctor wanting to prescribe a drug which had a reasonable chance to damage your hearing. So was your doctor purposely trying to damage your hearing? And the drugs he already had you taking "are bullshit". Why didn't he know that?

Yes, it is documented. I know 60 Minutes did a segment and I assume others have published on how the pharma companies created, primed and hyped the opioid market. IIRC, their efforts included lobbying Congress to change laws which limited their possible liability, telling doctors opioids were not addictive, and basically acted like street drug dealers by giving cheap or free samples so people could get addicted.

The difference being that even most people on the streets understand that an opiate is derived from opium. And even if they don't doctors sure as hell do. If there's doctor out there who doesn't understand what an opiate is than they shouldn't be practicing medicine. It's only recently come to light that statins are jive - it was all based on phony studies that they've never been able to replicate. Cholesterol as a danger, in general, has been blown way out of proportion - and that was done to sell meds like statins.

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 17:40 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 14:14:
And there's evidence of this? You can't tell me for one second the doctors didn't know better. And people have to take some responsibility for their own health and do some heavy lifting on their own. I never take anything my doctor prescribes without doing my own research on it and speaking with him about it.

Perfect example, when I first started seeing him and I was taking BP meds and statins he wanted to put me on Lipitor. I did the research and found out that not only is Lipitor seriously ototoxic - causes deafness and tinnitus - but it's one of the few drugs that's otoxicity is irreversible. Lots of people have gone deaf/got tinnitus on that shit. Not only has Pfizer been sued a zillion times - successfully - but they still continue to sell it and people still continue to get damaged by it and sue them for it but they're making more money off it than what they're paying out. When I informed my doctor he was shocked - and has since stopped prescribing it to his patients - and we went with something else. Turns out statins are bullshit entirely and I don't take them anymore anyway but that's another story.

It's the same hing for anything else I've taken. I've taken benzos off and on over the years in high stress periods, but I've never abused them because a) I know they're addictive b) they're intended as a short term drug. Same for painkillers, etc. I'm not trying to defend the guy, I'm sure he probably is a soulless monster, but I just hate seeing articles like, or attitudes, which excuse people from any personal responsibility in these sorts of tragedies.
I'm confused. You claim the doctors would know better, then tell us a story of a doctor wanting to prescribe a drug which had a reasonable chance to damage your hearing. So was your doctor purposely trying to damage your hearing? And the drugs he already had you taking "are bullshit". Why didn't he know that?

Yes, it is documented. I know 60 Minutes did a segment and I assume others have published on how the pharma companies created, primed and hyped the opioid market. IIRC, their efforts included lobbying Congress to change laws which limited their possible liability, telling doctors opioids were not addictive, and basically acted like street drug dealers by giving cheap or free samples so people could get addicted.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 17:20 1badmf

NKD wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 14:35:
Awww I had my hopes up that it was a real trailer for Captain Marvel, but it's just some fan made garbage.

wow, i didn't realize it but you were right. i was wondering how she went from taxiing an f15 to ...whatever the fuck that was... to suddenly flying an f35.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 16:19 Creston

$9200 of 800mg Sodium per slice. Mmmmmmmmmmm :-yum-:

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 15:22 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 13:51:
Yeah, the issue now varies from region to region. I'd guess the rural areas of West Virginia are still awash in pills.
The pill mills are shutdown. Now it's Chinese fentanyl lookalikes. More profit for less work/risk/accountability.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 15:00 jdreyer

Livingpoolroom was hilarious.

And that thief is well trained.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 14:58 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 14:23:
We've gone too far in the other direction. Due to multiple disparate health issues, my mother is in massive pain daily. She is allergic to every pain killer except Vicodin. However, no doctor will write he a prescription in the current climate. It's horrible.

What's the issue? Back? Has she tried physio, yoga, acupuncture, dry needling, hot tubs, et al? I have some major back and neck issues myself and I find doing all that stuff helps immensely. Way better and less dangerous than doing 'opium'. Not as fun mind you, but much less addictive.

I understand a lot of people have all manner of pain and everyone wants a magic pill to make it go away, but in the end all that does is mask the symptoms and not fix the problem itself. I'm actually headed to see a couple of neurosurgeons this December to get their opinion on some disc replacement surgery - I have advanced disc degeneration throughout my C/T/L spines. My C5-C6 disc is pretty much gone and osteophytes are staring to impinge into my foramina now. This causes problems throughout my whole back. It's a motherfucker but the last thing I need is a pill addiction to boot. Maybe if I was Johnny Cash or Elvis.

Joints, nerve damage, and other stuff. Nothing terminal. She's been doing PT and acupuncture. They help, but not to the extent that prescip meds would. Everything is "fixed" as best it can be at this point, but healing some stuff will take months, and other stuff can't be healed.

15. CAPTAIN MARVEL Teaser Trailer (2019) Sep 10, 2018, 14:43 SlimRam

Hell, you know I'd hit it...

Then again, she might hit back...

Then again, I might enjoy it.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 14:35 NKD

Awww I had my hopes up that it was a real trailer for Captain Marvel, but it's just some fan made garbage.  

"Broke their brown backs chasing Mr. White's dream,
that Bill of Rights was just a pyramid scheme."
- Nunca David Hidalgo & Los Refugio Tiernos

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 14:23 Cutter

What's the issue? Back? Has she tried physio, yoga, acupuncture, dry needling, hot tubs, et al? I have some major back and neck issues myself and I find doing all that stuff helps immensely. Way better and less dangerous than doing 'opium'. Not as fun mind you, but much less addictive.

I understand a lot of people have all manner of pain and everyone wants a magic pill to make it go away, but in the end all that does is mask the symptoms and not fix the problem itself. I'm actually headed to see a couple of neurosurgeons this December to get their opinion on some disc replacement surgery - I have advanced disc degeneration throughout my C/T/L spines. My C5-C6 disc is pretty much gone and osteophytes are staring to impinge into my foramina now. This causes problems throughout my whole back. It's a motherfucker but the last thing I need is a pill addiction to boot. Maybe if I was Johnny Cash or Elvis.

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 14:14 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:57:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:47:
I don't know how you can blame Sackler for the opioid crisis.

Because his company (and other pharma companies) paid for misleading studies and lied to doctors about the addictive properties of opioids, encouraged their distribution, in some cases provided cash incentives for opioid prescriptions. It is true no one forced the people to take the pills. It is also true without the action of the pharma companies, most of them never would have gotten the pills or at the very least would have received significant warnings against misuse and addiction. They are not solely responsible, but they are a major contributing factor.

And there's evidence of this? You can't tell me for one second the doctors didn't know better. And people have to take some responsibility for their own health and do some heavy lifting on their own. I never take anything my doctor prescribes without doing my own research on it and speaking with him about it.

Perfect example, when I first started seeing him and I was taking BP meds and statins he wanted to put me on Lipitor. I did the research and found out that not only is Lipitor seriously ototoxic - causes deafness and tinnitus - but it's one of the few drugs that's otoxicity is irreversible. Lots of people have gone deaf/got tinnitus on that shit. Not only has Pfizer been sued a zillion times - successfully - but they still continue to sell it and people still continue to get damaged by it and sue them for it but they're making more money off it than what they're paying out. When I informed my doctor he was shocked - and has since stopped prescribing it to his patients - and we went with something else. Turns out statins are bullshit entirely and I don't take them anymore anyway but that's another story.

It's the same hing for anything else I've taken. I've taken benzos off and on over the years in high stress periods, but I've never abused them because a) I know they're addictive b) they're intended as a short term drug. Same for painkillers, etc. I'm not trying to defend the guy, I'm sure he probably is a soulless monster, but I just hate seeing articles like, or attitudes, which excuse people from any personal responsibility in these sorts of tragedies.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 13:57 RedEye9

That would drive me insane. Keep searching for a doctor with a soul, they're out there.
“The Americans will always do the right thing… After they’ve exhausted all the alternatives.” – Winston Churchill

When my mother was dying of terminal "metastasized through her whole body" lung cancer, I walked into the house and she was crying about the pain. She had Oxycontin but my dad thought she would turn into an addict (she only lived another 45 days) and had setup a strict pain med schedule.
I gave her a pill and less than 15 minutes later she was feeling fine.
When my dad got home I restrained myself from releasing him off this mortal coil.
Needless to say she was never again in that amount of pain.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 13:51 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the issue now varies from region to region. I'd guess the rural areas of West Virginia are still awash in pills.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 13:30 jdreyer

Hope all you Bluesers in the path of Florence have your hurricane kit ready. Although it's a myth that taping the windows prevents them from breaking, it sure does make cleanup easier when they do.

Lastly, fill the tub. If you lose water pressure, you can still flush the toilet by scooping water into it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 13:20 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:57:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:47:
I don't know how you can blame Sackler for the opioid crisis.
Because his company (and other pharma companies) paid for misleading studies and lied to doctors about the addictive properties of opioids, encouraged their distribution, in some cases provided cash incentives for opioid prescriptions. It is true no one forced the people to take the pills. It is also true without the action of the pharma companies, most of them never would have gotten the pills or at the very least would have received significant warnings against misuse and addiction. They are not solely responsible, but they are a major contributing factor.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2018, 12:55 Ozmodan

Only Giant Eagle can be so stupid. What the employee was doing is called grazing and most supermarket employees do it all the time because the pay is just a joke.

The ridiculous aspect of this, is that the store throws out all those cut lunch meats every night. To top it off that $9200 is way over inflated.

Giant Eagle should give her a raise instead of looking like the corporate ass it is.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo