Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 11, 2018, 02:32 Armengar

as a sysadmin the only reason we use office is outlook. Nothing has the same integration as outlook. I would happily transition to openoffice or libreoffice.

problem is, we use sharepoint and outlook as a core business tool.

licensing is cheap compared to (as a reference) the likes of adobe or filemaker (cheaper than mssql for our web backend)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 16:36 NKD

That's why businesses uses Microsoft Office, and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

Yep. The cost of grabbing MS Office licenses is insignificant for most businesses, not worth rocking the boat and making everyone relearn some other user interface potentially lowering productivity.

"Broke their brown backs chasing Mr. White's dream,
that Bill of Rights was just a pyramid scheme."
- Nunca David Hidalgo & Los Refugio Tiernos

35. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 14:50 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 13:35:

The other thing is I'm sure MS Office sales will start to suffer as free alternatives provide most of the functionality.
Libre Office/Openoffice has had most of the functionality for years.
But it is not 100% and never will be.
Businesses don't need the administrative assistant freaking out why the Microsoft Office Word document formats differently than the same document opened by a customer who uses Libre Office Writer.
That's why businesses uses Microsoft Office, and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

34. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2018, 14:43 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 14:14:
The biggest issue is that you can't just start with something like the iPhone. Most of those components come from Asian suppliers and are manufactured in China.
Tim Cook says most of the iphone is made in America and just assembled in China.
https://www.cultofmac.com/538201/tim-cook-iphone-made-in-america/
https://www.cultofmac.com/143854/almost-all-of-your-iphone-was-made-in-america/

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

33. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2018, 14:14 Beamer

The biggest issue is that you can't just start with something like the iPhone. It's ridiculously complicated, and contains an enormous amount of components. Most of those components come from Asian suppliers and are manufactured in China.

Manufacturing in the US has 3 issues, ignoring cost:

1) It's not a mature industry, meaning there's much less of it. You can find endless stories from manufacturers about having an issue with their supply chain that gets solved based on China being so full of factories. In one better story, a company realized the screws they had were problematic. The head of production could get on his bike and ride down the road, stopping into factories showing people the part until someone could make it. He found a guy that got him all the replacements he needed within 48 hours. Were they manufacturing in the US, that could have been a delay of weeks. This is an emergency, but even with planning, you can build your factory around where the components are manufactured. You can build your assembly down the street from the screens, which is across the street from the chassis, so that transport costs of your materials are extremely low, and your team can be in the factory where your components are made weekly rather than quarterly.

2) It's not a mature industry, meaning that there are fewer skilled laborers. Some products don't truly need high skilled laborers, but tech certainly does. We don't have that skillset in the US. This is obviously solvable by training, but training is costly in that your line is running well below capacity while training, and you lose a lot of raw material to products that fail QC. And when someone leaves, you have to train someone back up. China has some awful dorms for their factory workers, but if you need to hire someone, you can pretty much put an a-sign outside your factory and have a skilled replacement within an hour.

3) Time. When I was working on a manufacturing project for my company at the time, we were moving from China to Thailand. Thailand had a robust industry for this product category, so we had the above benefits. But China shuts down for Chinese New Year. Thailand allowed for 3 shifts working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. There was no downtime. It's difficult to do that in the US, meaning a factory of the same size had higher capacity.

I do agree we need to get this back, but it's a slow process that needs to start with simple products. And, of course, it would take a serious shift in Wall Street's mindset - if your CEO chooses to manufacture in the US, unless he can demonstrate a lift in sales due to that, he'll likely find himself out on his ass for not cutting costs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2018, 13:56 Nullity

JediPunisher wrote on Sep 9, 2018, 21:00:
Linthat22 wrote on Sep 9, 2018, 19:33:
I didn't realize that this site had a bunch of anti-American retards posting on it.
Yeah, I think they're all Canadians.
Ironically, I feel Canadians have a better understanding of US politics and issues, and care more for its well-being than actual US "conservatives".

I haven't seen a single shovel-full of horse shit slung by the right that isn't pure abject projection. At some point in the future, this dangerous fabricated reality you all refuse to see past will become the subject of an entire school of study. Of course, that will only be possible after the many decades of repair necessary. I regret that I'll be long dead by then.

31. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 13:45 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 13:35:
The other thing is I'm sure MS Office sales will start to suffer as free alternatives provide most of the functionality.
I switched to Libre Office years ago. I can't testify as to what it can't do that MS Office can, but I suspect it isn't much.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 13:35 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:35:
Task wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 11:23:
Is microsoft hurting for money or something. I don't understand this sudden need to switch windows to a service to pay for updates and everything else.

Look at the number of users who refuse to switch from Windows 7. The more they iterate and refine their OS, the less anyone needs a new one. The alternative is to get everyone to subscribe to a service which provides a steady stream of new income without the need to switch to an entirely new OS.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

29. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 13:33 jdreyer

Dwarf-Snowninja wrote on Sep 10, 2018, 03:25:
I stand corrected, thanks JD. I just remember several friends that worked as middle-management for cell companies being in a panic trying to explain it to me, and how the one deposit of rare earths Japan had access to were contested by China and Korea.

Oh, wasn't I largely agreeing with you?

28. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 12:51 RedEye9

Is microsoft hurting for money or something. I don't understand this sudden need to switch windows to a service to pay for updates and everything else.
I can't think of any company in the history of time that has ever said, "We gots enough money, time to stop figuring out how to make moar with as little effort as possible".

Office 365 is subscription, expect the standalone version of Microsoft Office to be dropped soon. That leaves Windows as a paid Service which Microsoft has been drooling dreaming about for the last 20 years.

27. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 12:04 Mr. Tact

Good job MS. If there's anything that will get anyone who has delayed moving to Linux motivated, starting to charge them monthly for your OS is an excellent way to push them over the edge. You have to hand it to them, it isn't easy to be that arrogant.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 11:35  Blue 

Look at the number of users who refuse to switch from Windows 7. The more they iterate and refine their OS, the less anyone needs a new one. The alternative is to get everyone to subscribe to a service which provides a steady stream of new income without the need to switch to an entirely new OS.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

25. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 11:23 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

24. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 03:25 Dwarf-Snowninja

I stand corrected, thanks JD. I just remember several friends that worked as middle-management for cell companies being in a panic trying to explain it to me, and how the one deposit of rare earths Japan had access to were contested by China and Korea.  

23. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 01:38 Red886

we all hear why tariffs is bad, but till now, no one had came up with an alternative plan to bring gov subsidies down across the globe.

22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 01:15 jdreyer

Although China has been manipulating its currency and subsidising certain industries to achieve market dominance (yes, this is bad), overall free trade has been a massive benefit to both the US and the world, and protectionism is overall a negative for us.

This is not to say that jobs have not been lost in America due to cheaper foreign imports. They have, and those who have suffered should not be ignored. But protectionism will destroy more jobs than it creates. Analysis by Trade Partnership, a consultancy, suggests that once Mexico, Canada and Australia have been factored out and possible retaliation has been factored in, Mr Trumpís tariffs would cause nearly 13 jobs to be lost for every one gained in steel or aluminium production, and every state would see a net loss of jobs.

Here's a primer.

21. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2018, 00:44 jdreyer

Klaus Flouride wrote on Sep 9, 2018, 18:40:
Someone should tell him that manufacturing has been dead, in the US, since the 70's.

Not actually true. Manufacturing has steadily increased since the 1970s. Manufacturing jobs on the other hand, not so much. They've declined. People complain "China took R jerbs!" but the truth is 80% of US manufacturing job loss has been to automation.

EDIT: Also (partly) what Cutter said.

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 00:25 jdreyer

Dwarf-Snowninja wrote on Sep 9, 2018, 14:53:
Then they'd just get hit with a counter-reaction from China, as a huge portion of the heavy metals used in most modern electronics are all mined in/by China (when China just THREATENED to cease trading these to Japan, when I lived there, the entire island lost its collective mind and the big cell companies like Softbank and Liismo were in a panic). No nevermind other difficulties.

What you are talking about are rare earth metals. We used to mine and refine them in the US, but the Chinese cornered the market via govt subsidy and drove the US companies out of business. It's actually a national security issue that we have US companies provide these from within the US given the lack of substitutes and critical importance in modern weapons.

Here is an article with more detail for anyone interested.

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 10, 2018, 00:12 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2018, 14:21:
Trump's right. That's how you bring jobs home. It's not like Apple can plead poverty. They're just an anti-American company and so is anyone who supports them.
I think I read Apple save 20 bucks per phone by building them in China. Still, I wonder if Americans would do that kind of work.

18. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 9, 2018, 21:00 JediPunisher

Linthat22 wrote on Sep 9, 2018, 19:33:
I didn't realize that this site had a bunch of anti-American retards posting on it.
Yeah, I think they're all Canadians.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo