Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Streets of Rage 4 Announced

Publisher Dotemu and developers Lizardcube and Guard Crush Games announce Streets of Rage 4, an upcoming new installment in SEGA's arcade fighting series. This is not exactly a rush job, as Streets of Rage 3 was first released in 1994. Even with all that time to plan, they are not yet revealing a release date, nor are they announcing target platforms, but they do offer a reveal trailer showing off a distinctive hand-drawn 2D art direction. There's also now a Streets of Rage 4 Website where we can stay tuned for more details when they arrive. For now, here's the announcement:

Publisher Dotemu (Wonder Boy, Windjammers) and developers Lizardcube (Wonder Boy) and Guard Crush Games today revealed Streets of Rage 4, an all-new continuation of SEGA’s iconic arcade brawler series known for its radical fights, jammin’ ‘90s beats and dashing sparring gloves and bandanas.

Featuring hand-drawn visuals from the team behind 2017’s gorgeous Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap remake, Streets of Rage 4 builds upon the classic trilogy’s gameplay with new mechanics, a fresh story and a gauntlet of dangerous stages with a serious crime problem. Streets of Rage 4 recalls classic gameplay but it stands as an entirely original arcade-style romp thanks to the expertise of Guard Crush Games and Dotemu.

Whether players gang up with a friend or clean up the city solo, Streets of Rage 4 is a skull-bashing, chicken-chomping delight all set to a thumping soundtrack sure to get your blood pumping.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 28, 2018, 11:51 Des

SirKnight wrote on Aug 27, 2018, 23:32:
Here's a cool video on the making of SoR 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3TEywgwMU

I opened these comments to see stuff like this

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 28, 2018, 08:33 Trashy

Being a huge fan of the originals, I'm just bracing for what will let me down with this game. But like what was mentioned before SORR 5.1 is fantastic even if this is a turd, well if you can still find a good download for it.  

8. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 28, 2018, 07:22 Pr()ZaC

I'm a big fan of Max and I like to complete SoR2 on Mania from time to time.
I look forward to SoR4 and hope they won't fuck it up.

Go play SoRR v5.1, an excellent remake that SEGA took down.

7. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 23:32 SirKnight

Here's a cool video on the making of SoR 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3TEywgwMU  

6. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 22:41 MDB

Enh. "Retro" pixel art is creatively lazy, IMO. I'm glad they didn't go that route. But yeah, something's still not quite right... not enough dirt/grit and neon maybe? Everything looks so clean. Not sure the flat colors work.  

5. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 21:47 ItBurn

I'm not a hardcore fan or anything, but I did play these when I was younger and the art style really doesn't fit. Clearly made by people who weren't really fans of the game. Game might still be fun, but they tried to sell it in this trailer solely with the name, and failed for the reasons I mentioned.  

4. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 21:35 bigspender

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 27, 2018, 21:18:
where the hell is Max Thunder and Adam Hunter, aka the better characters by far?

DLC lol

3. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 21:34 bigspender

Shame the art style doesn't reflect the originals though. I would have gone for an enhanced looked rather than changing the graphics style entirely to a comic book look. (Perhaps an updated resolution so you can fit more on the screen, and more pixels per sprite to make it look 32 bit would be plenty)

I mean the graphics aren't really the problem with the genesis games. The issues with older games is that they don't have modern gaming loops which keep you coming back to them. Unlocks, progression, customization, challenges, online multi player etc

That and a more visceral combat system, and smoother character controls like we see in something like niddhogg and samurai gun - that is classic gaming remastered.

I think they've missed the mark on this one sadly.

2. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 21:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Awesome, I loved Streets of Rage 1 and 2, played the hell out of those games back on Genesis...but where the hell is Max Thunder and Adam Hunter, aka the better characters by far?

Also the less white characters, but that's another issue entirely.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more info, but the teaser gameplay bits look good already.

1. Re: Streets of Rage 4 Announced Aug 27, 2018, 20:23 Shok

I always sucked at these kinds of games but remember actually playing pretty decent in the first SoR using Axel to uppercut everything. One of very few games I had for the Genesis since I bought it around the time that PC gaming started rocking. Soundblaster came out as well as X-wing and I never looked back at consoles.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo