Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW

Blizzard announces Battle for Azeroth is the fastest-selling World of Warcraft expansion ever, showing their MMORPG still wields some clout in the marketplace. After all these years, they say the game's expansion set a new one-day sales record by moving 3.4 million units:

When the Battle for Azeroth™ erupted worldwide last week, champions of the Alliance and the Horde around the globe were called upon to fight for their faction. Heroes everywhere turned out in force, and Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of Battle for Azeroth’s first full day of launch on August 14, more than 3.4 million units of the latest World of Warcraft® expansion had sold through worldwide—setting a new day-one sales record for the franchise and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games of all-time.*

“Battle for Azeroth is a definitive chapter in the Horde and Alliance conflict at the heart of Warcraft, and it’s been thrilling to see players representing their factions in record numbers and embarking on their war campaigns—not to mention joining in ourselves,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “But the launch is just the beginning of this conflict. More epic content is coming to World of Warcraft in the weeks ahead, and we can’t wait for players to experience the full story as it unfolds over the course of the expansion.”

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 26, 2018, 18:29 Ant

I haven't WoW since before Burning Crusade expansion came out. I still want to go back to see the changes in the later expansion when lots of areas got changed.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 26, 2018, 11:29 Mr. Tact

When you take a moment to think about it, WoW is pretty incredible. Coming up on 14 years and it is still doing very well.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 26, 2018, 01:05 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 25, 2018, 22:34:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 11:32:
I pre-ordered the CE because I wanted the CE, but I haven't used my game code yet because I need to find a way to be able to play regularly for 30 days straight. I am looking forward to revisiting Azeroth and seeing what has changed. Probably going to start a new character for it.
Just curious -- when is the last time you played?

Last time I played at all was over a year ago. It was brief, only for a week or two. Something distracted me from it.

24. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 25, 2018, 22:40 Mr. Tact

Medvanis wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 18:59:
Played since day 1...but me and most of my guild quit half way through Cata when we learned of the Kung Fu Panda expansion.
That was me too. However, I went back for Legion. Which I did enjoy but I quit again a few months ago. I might try again if I wasn't busy with NMS plus I want to get back to Factorio.

23. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 25, 2018, 22:34 Mr. Tact

Jivaro wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 11:32:
I pre-ordered the CE because I wanted the CE, but I haven't used my game code yet because I need to find a way to be able to play regularly for 30 days straight. I am looking forward to revisiting Azeroth and seeing what has changed. Probably going to start a new character for it.
Just curious -- when is the last time you played?

22. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 25, 2018, 22:31 YourNick

The game can be a massive time sink, also I witnessed too many bots playing after 4th expansion pack or so.

They should have realms that limit how much you can play each character each week so you don't get behind others playing it, and you can still have ample time for 'real life'. Start a realm in Vanilla, then maybe every year open up the next expansion for that realm.

21. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 24, 2018, 02:08 MattyC

Medvanis wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 18:59:
Kung Fu Panda expansion

Pandaren predate those movies by ~5+ years. Just throwing that out there.

20. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 18:59 Medvanis

Played since day 1...but me and most of my guild quit half way through Cata when we learned of the Kung Fu Panda expansion. Haven't been back since.

Really following the Classic/Vanilla development closely. That just may make me come back. Don't really want to pay for any other content though....

19. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 17:28 Cram

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 12:29:
Darks wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 12:02:
Pretty low compared to previous addons.

setting a new day-one sales record for the franchise and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games of all-time

Come on dude it's right there.

Laugh2 Laugh2 Laugh2

18. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 17:03 warmbluelasers

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 15:59:
I must be one of the only retards on the planet that stopped playing when the burning crusade came out and never looked back...

Raid 3 out of 4 wings of Naxxramas, get crazy gear that I spent hundreds of hours trying to get vanish to green loot from trash mobs within a few hours.

I'm obviously still angry about it ~12 years later.

The constant progress reset every expansion is a major reason why I don't go back.

17. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 16:01 Wallshadows

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 15:53:
The Arthas/Lich King story was good?
I almost died in laughter when I learned the reasons why he became so angry.

I'm not saying it was going to win a Pulitzer prize but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it has been in the last several expansions.

16. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 15:59 Tipsy McStagger

I must be one of the only retards on the planet that stopped playing when the burning crusade came out and never looked back...

Raid 3 out of 4 wings of Naxxramas, get crazy gear that I spent hundreds of hours trying to get vanish to green loot from trash mobs within a few hours.

I'm obviously still angry about it ~12 years later.

15. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 15:53 Muscular Beaver

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 15:45:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 15:23:
Since when did Blizzard ever have good lore or story?

I'd say Wrath of the Lich King was more or less the end of what felt like an epic adventure built upon genuinely interesting lore. I'd even go so far as to say that it wasn't till Warlords where they went completely bankrupt on creativity and story telling.

But in general I understand where you're coming from. They've more or less front-loaded everything which made the RTS great in to the first couple of expansions and the quality seemed to drop when they had to create stories and lore on the fly. This is probably why they had to bring out Chronicles to clean up the garbage.
The Arthas/Lich King story was good?
I almost died in laughter when I learned the reasons why he became so angry.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

14. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 15:45 Wallshadows

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 15:23:

I'd say Wrath of the Lich King was more or less the end of what felt like an epic adventure built upon genuinely interesting lore. I'd even go so far as to say that it wasn't till Warlords where they went completely bankrupt on creativity and story telling.

But in general I understand where you're coming from. They've more or less front-loaded everything which made the RTS great in to the first couple of expansions and the quality seemed to drop when they had to create stories and lore on the fly. This is probably why they had to bring out Chronicles to clean up the garbage.

13. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 15:23 Muscular Beaver

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 23, 2018, 13:04:
This is probably on me for expecting good writing from a MMORPG, but the tonal shift in this expansion is probably the most jarring thing for me while trying to play it. You go from high level sci-fi/fantasy with visiting alien planets and dealing with gods responsible for the creation of the universe... too being killed by lizards that lick REALLY HARD while you are helping some farmhand harvest their organs. I mean, really? I just slayed a god and survived a blow from his ethereal scythe larger than my body... Ugh.

That isn't even touching on Sylvanas' transformation into Zombie Hitler and how shallow and forced that feels.

I know you can only escalate things so far, but how about downshifting a few gears first before kicking heroes of the universe back into picking onions for the local town drunks hangover cocktail and vapid faction war themes?

The only good thing, lore-wise, to come out of this has been the cinematic they did for Jaina where she was apologizing to her father's ghost for siding with the Horde against him. That was fantastic so I know they have it in them.
They only steal from elsewhere, call it an "homage", and then it still feels cringy as hell, even if you dont know where they got it from.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

12. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 13:46 jdreyer

Crazy that an expansion for this game could do so well. I would have thought people were sick of WoW by now.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 13:30 Shok

As much as I would like to go back to WoW, I know better. It's the most time consuming and addicting game I have ever played. If only I could limit myself to a few hours a day it would be ok but I know that would never happen and I would be playing 40-60 hours a week again in no time...  

10. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 13:04 SimplyMonk

This is probably on me for expecting good writing from a MMORPG, but the tonal shift in this expansion is probably the most jarring thing for me while trying to play it. You go from high level sci-fi/fantasy with visiting alien planets and dealing with gods responsible for the creation of the universe... too being killed by lizards that lick REALLY HARD while you are helping some farmhand harvest their organs. I mean, really? I just slayed a god and survived a blow from his ethereal scythe larger than my body... Ugh.

That isn't even touching on Sylvanas' transformation into Zombie Hitler and how shallow and forced that feels.

I know you can only escalate things so far, but how about downshifting a few gears first before kicking heroes of the universe back into picking onions for the local town drunks hangover cocktail and vapid faction war themes?

The only good thing, lore-wise, to come out of this has been the cinematic they did for Jaina where she was apologizing to her father's ghost for siding with the Horde against him. That was fantastic so I know they have it in them.

9. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 12:54 Prez

World of Warcraft is the Jason Voorhees of gaming. It won't die. It'll go down, look dead or dying, then pop right back up and commence to the slaughter once again. The next WoW expansion needs to be "WoW Takes Manhattan".  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Battle for Azeroth Sales Wow WoW Aug 23, 2018, 12:40 Ozmodan

Personally, $50 is a bit high for an expansion. After all the legion legendary nonsense, not really interesting in wasting my time any more. I find Elder Scrolls Online to be twice the game wow is any more.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo