IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work

A tweet from Justin Davis has follow-up from IGN's Editorial Manager to the plagiarism charge that resulted in the firing of editor Filip Miucin (thanks USgamer). Saying "it's looking more and more likely that we unwittingly hosted work that was directly lifted from or at best heavily derived from others," he explained they were in the process of removing all his bylined content. He says some of this may be reposted, while some of it may be replaced with content from other editors. Dan Stapleton also tweets about the situation, as IGN's Executive Editor of Reviews also mentions more pieces from Miucin being removed. This is noted on Kotaku, where they have an outline of other content that was identified in response to Miucin's challenge to find additional examples of his alleged plagiarism:
The lengthy list of allegations against Miucin now includes a Bayonetta 2 review that drew from Polygon, a video that took word-for-word from a NeoGAF post, and a number of videos in which Miucin read excerpts from Wikipedia about topics like Super Mario Odyssey and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero as if he had written them. The list even includes an Octopath Traveler article that copied from one of his own IGN colleague’s reviews, much to that writer’s dismay. Tipsters have pointed me to dozens of instances in which Miucin took directly from other sources, some of which are rounded up here.

Even his Linkedin resume is copied from a job template website.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work
Aug 16, 2018, 14:44
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 14:44
Aug 16, 2018, 14:44
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 10:03:
Let's remember that plagiarism has happened for every single major newspaper, some quite recently. It happens in politicians with their speeches routinely. It happens in published books, routinely.

If multibillion dollar companies and, well, the GOP and DNC, can't find ways to get ahead of this, expecting IGN to, especially against video, is unfair. The best they can do is handle it the same way everyone else does. Except for politicians, who never seem hindered by plagiarizing. In general, this is usually found via crowdsourcing.

There's a HUGE difference between plagiarism at a professional media outlet and plagiarism in a political arena. You shouldn't conflate.

I also think it's unfair to assume all of IGN was doing this when one guy, who had been there less than a year, who had been doing this before he was hired (and just now discovered), as doing it.

Agreed, and that's why plagiarism is the worst thing a journalist can do. It not only erodes the trust of readers, it also creates doubt that others may have engaged in such activity at the company. That's why IGN had to move fast otherwise the cancer of the perception of plagiarism would've caused even more damage.

Seems pretty clear it was one really, really poor hire. Also seems pretty clear why he was hired - they tried getting someone with the right experience, but the candidate turned it down because a place like IGN can't really pay much anymore, so they took a flashy guy that did good YouTube videos and seemed knowledgeable. A regrettable decision, but we're seeing the amateurizing of plenty of different forms of news, and this is what happens. If anything, this is why big, formalized news organizations are a good thing. So many people love YouTubers and trust them inherently while hating places like IGN, but this guy was doing it as a small YouTuber. It wasn't until he got to IGN that he was large enough for people to pay attention to this and do damage. What other things are small timers YouTubing from their bedrooms with no checks or balances getting away with? More than what a place like IGN can, and often innocently, as they don't know that what they're doing isn't quite right.

As Podcasts For Gamers states, he is angry at Filip because he tried very hard to build a brand around something he loved to do with the goal of one day getting a dream job at an outlet like IGN. He points out that Filip had a golden opportunity to be a shining example of what happens when a big outlet takes a small Youtube personality pro. Instead, all it did is cast aspersions on all Youtube gaming channels. We've seen the recent case with Guild Wars 2 where individuals coming from social media (that also includes Youtube) have created headache-inducing incidents for the company. Overall, these events continuously reinforce the idea that hiring professionals with years of proven experience is the best way forward.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 16, 2018, 14:08
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 14:08
Aug 16, 2018, 14:08
 Kxmode

Flatline wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 12:50:
Drazula wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 06:50:
He plagiarized his LinkedIn experience... Lol!

I just saw that. WITAF?

His entire online writing career is carefully crafted to achieve success with the least work possible. People are finding many of the videos on his channel have ripped off other people's knowledge or words. Case in point, Filip's explaination for Switch HD Rumble is taken verbatim from a post on NeoGaf by Cartho. Filip even copied the part where Cartho writes "I BELIEVE" by enhancing "I BELIEVE" in his video. He took plagiarism to a professional level and to the degree that I think the only reason he was able to get away with it for so long was his channel was small and he could fly under the radar. It never dawned on him that once he went pro at IGN, he might have to do real original writing. You know: work.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 16, 2018, 12:50
Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 12:50
Aug 16, 2018, 12:50

Drazula wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 06:50:

I just saw that. WITAF?

Aug 16, 2018, 10:03
Beamer

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 10:03
Aug 16, 2018, 10:03
 Beamer

Let's remember that plagiarism has happened for every single major newspaper, some quite recently. It happens in politicians with their speeches routinely. It happens in published books, routinely.

If multibillion dollar companies and, well, the GOP and DNC, can't find ways to get ahead of this, expecting IGN to, especially against video, is unfair. The best they can do is handle it the same way everyone else does. Except for politicians, who never seem hindered by plagiarizing. In general, this is usually found via crowdsourcing.

I also think it's unfair to assume all of IGN was doing this when one guy, who had been there less than a year, who had been doing this before he was hired (and just now discovered), as doing it. Seems pretty clear it was one really, really poor hire. Also seems pretty clear why he was hired - they tried getting someone with the right experience, but the candidate turned it down because a place like IGN can't really pay much anymore, so they took a flashy guy that did good YouTube videos and seemed knowledgeable. A regrettable decision, but we're seeing the amateurizing of plenty of different forms of news, and this is what happens. If anything, this is why big, formalized news organizations are a good thing. So many people love YouTubers and trust them inherently while hating places like IGN, but this guy was doing it as a small YouTuber. It wasn't until he got to IGN that he was large enough for people to pay attention to this and do damage. What other things are small timers YouTubing from their bedrooms with no checks or balances getting away with? More than what a place like IGN can, and often innocently, as they don't know that what they're doing isn't quite right.

Aug 16, 2018, 09:49
Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 09:49
Aug 16, 2018, 09:49

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 03:01:
NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 02:12:
The problem is that in many cases they plagiarize a Youtuber's words and put them in a text review. There's not a way IGN can vet this on their end because obviously they don't have a transcript of every gaming Youtube video ever created. Similarly, a plagiarism search engine isn't going to find it either.

You're right, but that's why hiring more vetters combined with more powerful plagiarism search engines that search not only the text-based content but also the media-based content would be a lot of due diligence. My understanding is some index the auto-transcription feature Google has added to virtually all videos. It's accessible by clicking on the "three vertical dots" above the Subscribe button, and selecting "Open transcript." The accuracy of the transcript is impressive.

I have some knowledge on this. Yes, Google does have auto-transcription enabled on almost all videos. But it does not get indexed. Ever. Even if you copy it all down, and upload it directly as human transcribed content into the subtitle creation tool, it still won't get indexed. Because obviously it's the exact same as the auto transcribed content, and Google can see this.

But if you actually do perform a human transcription of a video into the captions portion of a YouTube video, they do get indexed. This is actually a fantastic source of unique content that many (nearly all) YouTubers are missing out on: Just hire a transcriber to turn your videos into a blog post, or even just transcribe directly into the captions and give Google more indexed content they can scrape for relevant keywords: More likely that your video will get shown as a result.

Re: Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work
Aug 16, 2018, 06:56
Re: Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 06:56
Aug 16, 2018, 06:56

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 05:55:
Still, their fellation of Sean Murray prior to the NMS release was stomach-churning.

The fellation of Sean Murray and Hello Games on this site before the release of NMS by some posters was stomach-churning.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 16, 2018, 06:50
Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 06:50
Aug 16, 2018, 06:50

Aug 16, 2018, 05:55
Re: Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 05:55
Aug 16, 2018, 05:55

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 01:04:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 21:33:
I'm tempted to grab a random assortment of IGN reviews from different authors to see if they contain plagiarized material. There are plenty of services that offer sophisticated plagiarism search engines. If true, this may reveal that Filip Miucin isn't an isolated incident but instead is part of a "cabal" at IGN where a large percentage of staff or the entire organization is engaged in this kind of nonsense. Wouldn't that be something?

I spent the last hour and change scanning a range of IGN Switch, PC, and PS4 reviews for plagiarism and other than some random sites copying the content (with a source mention), all of them are original and not plagiarized. I can't speak to ALL of IGN, but it does appear that content originality is the rule and not the exception. Filip was an anomaly. Going forward, IGN is likely to increase their vetting process, and think twice about hiring a random Youtube personality to author content for their service. At the very least, ensure the content on their Youtube channel is original.

Still, their fellation of Sean Murray prior to the NMS release was stomach-churning.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Aug 16, 2018, 05:53
Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 05:53
Aug 16, 2018, 05:53

Strider83 wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 23:10:
What Ign has become I wouldn't put it past them kxmode. I started visting in about '97 '98 when it was a site for n64 players by Peer Schneider. It has since become a cesspool of clickbait, ads disguised as articles, and outsourced to contributors who have no journalistic integrity nor skills. Just like PC Gamer which I had a magazine subscription to for many years. It is very sad what gaming journalism has become. That is why Blues is one of the only sites I frequent and still visit daily. IGN...pathetic.

I liked that podcast with Evan Lahti...
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Aug 16, 2018, 05:48
Re: Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 05:48
Aug 16, 2018, 05:48

Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:45:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 19:30:
I dare anyone ...
Miucin and his 3 minutes of fame won't be missed.
What an idiot.

Nice, original haiku.

I found this original poem on his personal website:

Two roads diverged in the Interwood,
And sorry I could not copy both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And copied down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the Intergrowth;

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere Internet ages hence:
Two roads diverged in the Interwood, and I—
I took the one more plagiarized,
And that has made all the difference.

Aug 16, 2018, 03:01
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 03:01
Aug 16, 2018, 03:01
 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 02:12:
The problem is that in many cases they plagiarize a Youtuber's words and put them in a text review. There's not a way IGN can vet this on their end because obviously they don't have a transcript of every gaming Youtube video ever created. Similarly, a plagiarism search engine isn't going to find it either.

You're right, but that's why hiring more vetters combined with more powerful plagiarism search engines that search not only the text-based content but also the media-based content would be a lot of due diligence. My understanding is some index the auto-transcription feature Google has added to virtually all videos. It's accessible by clicking on the "three vertical dots" above the Subscribe button, and selecting "Open transcript." The accuracy of the transcript is impressive.

Aug 16, 2018, 02:12
NKD
Re: Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 02:12
Aug 16, 2018, 02:12
NKD

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 01:04:
I'm tempted to grab a random assortment of IGN reviews from different authors to see if they contain plagiarized material. There are plenty of services that offer sophisticated plagiarism search engines. If true, this may reveal that Filip Miucin isn't an isolated incident but instead is part of a "cabal" at IGN where a large percentage of staff or the entire organization is engaged in this kind of nonsense. Wouldn't that be something?

I spent the last hour and change scanning a range of IGN Switch, PC, and PS4 reviews for plagiarism and other than some random sites copying the content (with a source mention), all of them are original and not plagiarized. I can't speak to ALL of IGN, but it does appear that content originality is the rule and not the exception. Filip was an anomaly. Going forward, IGN is likely to increase their vetting process, and think twice about hiring a random Youtube personality to author content for their service. At the very least, ensure the content on their Youtube channel is original.

Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

Aug 16, 2018, 01:04
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 01:04
Aug 16, 2018, 01:04
 Kxmode

Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds
Aug 16, 2018, 00:43
Kxmode

Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 16, 2018, 00:43
Aug 16, 2018, 00:43
 Kxmode

Filip Miucin's 1:21 review of Oceanhorn posted on January 2017 (ten months before IGN hired him) is basically the same content from the Oceanhorn Wikipedia page. If the IGN editors had done their due diligence, they would have learned this. Further, he shouldn't be monetizing a video based off other people's work (e.g., Wikipedia editors). But, I guess it's justified because he said in a 2014 Tweet: "If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research." Right, so I guess he can pass it off as "research." If I authored or edited that Oceanhorn Wikipedia entry, I'd be a little peeved.

Aug 15, 2018, 23:10
Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 23:10
Aug 15, 2018, 23:10

What Ign has become I wouldn't put it past them kxmode. I started visting in about '97 '98 when it was a site for n64 players by Peer Schneider. It has since become a cesspool of clickbait, ads disguised as articles, and outsourced to contributors who have no journalistic integrity nor skills. Just like PC Gamer which I had a magazine subscription to for many years. It is very sad what gaming journalism has become. That is why Blues is one of the only sites I frequent and still visit daily. IGN...pathetic.

Aug 15, 2018, 21:33
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 21:33
Aug 15, 2018, 21:33
 Kxmode

Aug 15, 2018, 20:50
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:50
Aug 15, 2018, 20:50
 Kxmode

SirKnight wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:35:
And then to make it all worse, in his non-apology video he tried to make it seem like he was a victim and didn't offer any apology at all.

That's exactly what Stephen Glass did!

Aug 15, 2018, 20:47
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:47
Aug 15, 2018, 20:47
 Kxmode

Xero wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:08:
Well he flushed down any potentials he could of had a long with his career.

He'll probably write a novel called "If I Did It: Confessions of a Plagiarist," and that will probably contain wholesale copies of other people's work. lol

Aug 15, 2018, 20:45
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:45
Aug 15, 2018, 20:45
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 19:30:
I dare anyone ...
Miucin and his 3 minutes of fame won't be missed.
What an idiot.

Nice, original haiku.

Aug 15, 2018, 20:42
Kxmode

Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:42
Aug 15, 2018, 20:42
 Kxmode

Goodness. That's just chronic

Definitely like the movie Shattered Glass (only on the plagiarism spectrum). In that movie - based on the real life event - the editors discovered Stephen Glass made up the story "Hack Heaven," and were then forced to go back and review some 40 published stories by Stephen.

As Wikipedia notes (with references), "The New Republic subsequently determined that at least 27 of the 41 articles Glass wrote for the magazine contained fabricated material. Some of the 27, such as "Don't You D.A.R.E.", contained real reporting interwoven with fabricated quotations and incidents, while others, including "Hack Heaven," were completely made up. In the process of creating the "Hack Heaven" article, Glass had gone to especially elaborate lengths to thwart the discovery of his deception by TNR's fact checkers: creating a website and voice mail account for Jukt Micronics; fabricating notes of story gathering; having fake business cards printed; and even composing editions of a fake computer hacker community newsletter."
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older