Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2018, 12:36 RedEye9

Squirmer wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 18:23:
It matters because if hate groups are allowed to exist, they recruit more people. No one's born bigoted and hateful, they learn it and they get taken in. It happened to basically an entire country not that long ago...
How dare you use history and real world events to support your statement. shame

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 21:52 Eirikrautha

Prez wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 12:18:
Again I have to ask, who cares? Either the groups are just set up as troll fodder, which means people who get their panties in a twist over it are giving them their desired outcome, or they are genuinely gross people who believe in bigotry and hatred, in which case they are are conveniently lumped together in their little groups for easy identification by normal people. I just don't see the problem. Why does everyone need the thought police to keep them safe? I know, I know, privileged white guy, so my opinion doesn't matter. Rolleyes

"Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere might be happy." -- H. L. Mencken

Once upon a time the authoritarians among us were satisfied with telling us what we could and couldn't do. The new authoritarians are now unsatisfied with anything less than dictating what you can or cannot think...

5. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 21:49 Eirikrautha

Squirmer wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 18:23:
It matters because if hate groups are allowed to exist, they recruit more people. No one's born bigoted and hateful, they learn it and they get taken in. It happened to basically an entire country not that long ago...

Wrong. Modern science says the opposite. While tabula rasa was a marvelous 18th century fantasy, it is contradicted by everything cognitive studies have shown in the late 20th and early 21st century. Babies are evolutionarily predisposed to categorize into ingroups and outgroups from a very young age. Racial harmony is a product of culture, not humanity reverting to it's natural inclinations. People are born hateful and bigoted; they must be taught tolerance.

The most amusing part of this is that the whole "tolerance" movement today is nothing more than an attempt to form an acceptable outgroup. The exhortations of "punch a nazi" (with "nazi" defined as anyone who disagrees with me) is nothing more than an attempt to signal ingroup membership in a certain culture with an associated attempt to polarize opponents as an outgroup. Those who mouth "tolerance" the most are actively engaged in creating the least amount of tolerance possible. And yet they pat themselves on the back for being so virtuously members of their self-created ingroup.

The more humans attempt to transcend their nature, the more they plunge to its depths...

4. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 20:31 DangerDog

Every time a game has some sort of element where you can design a logo or banner for your in game item or insert an image into a slot for an avatar people will push it to the limit.

Like in the last couple Battlefield games where you can design a logo that shows up in game on your tank or end of round screen. But do you punish the guy making a swastika out of black dicks?

I guess we'll have to implement some sort of global rep system that follows you around everywhere you go, you'll probably get kicked off your flight because you got negative rep from the uber driver but those are the breaks.

3. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 18:23 Squirmer

2. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 12:18 Prez

Again I have to ask, who cares? Either the groups are just set up as troll fodder, which means people who get their panties in a twist over it are giving them their desired outcome, or they are genuinely gross people who believe in bigotry and hatred, in which case they are are conveniently lumped together in their little groups for easy identification by normal people. I just don't see the problem. Why does everyone need the thought police to keep them safe? I know, I know, privileged white guy, so my opinion doesn't matter. Rolleyes

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2018, 14:40.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 11:02 RedEye9

We are a nation that has systemic institutional racism with full support of the prezident. For it to find its way into multiplayer games is not surprising.

The fact the Valve does very little to curb this trend is disturbing. They won't even go so far as to join http://www.fairplayalliance.org/#about

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >